Aug 29, 2007, 08:18 PM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluf7
Perry I can hear the whittling starting from here mate does franky no about beverly then ?.
Not yet.

Perry
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2007, 01:50 AM
As always, I had a great time at the fly-in, in spite of the less-than-ideal weather. This is, I think, the 20th Chilliwack event I've attended (Ron has 2 per year), having missed the first couple due to not yet being an rc pilot, and as others noted above, it's like a family reunion, with new friends thrown in each time, for good measure. The highlight for me, this time, was being offered the sticks to fly Ivan's Beverly while spotting for him. Like all of the other Pettigrew models I've had the pleasure to fly, it performed superbly, making me look like a better pilot than I am. This one looks extremely real in flight, and is delightfully smooth and light feeling, in spite of it's imposing size. I kidded Ivan about the need to include a squad of SAS paratroops to drop from the tail doors; that would really ice the cake! I also got to fly Ken Ross' big 8' Unionville Beaver, which brought back fond memories of my old 6' version. Thanks, guys, for expanding my flight log opportunies. I'm already looking forward to the next meet in May, and prodding myself to get something new ready to fly by then. Great pictures from all the photogs, let's see more, if ya got 'em.
Brad.
Aug 30, 2007, 01:56 AM
OOPS - double post
Aug 30, 2007, 10:18 AM
Electric baptism 1975
subscribe
Aug 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
Sorry I missed it. The folks were in town from Ontario, and my son had some surgery recently, so I couldn't get away. See ya in May '08!

LukeZ - I love the picture of the two Solents mating in mid air trying to make little Solents!
Sep 01, 2007, 12:27 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Hi,

As usual, I was the last to leave on Thursday evening, having used the 'power of irony' one more time to enjoy the beautiful weather before and after the weekend The only times I will fly my H-9 Spit this year will likely be the times I was at Ron's place and I estimate that I've done about 70 flights on it But I became rather preoccupied with my new EZglider this time around - I was named "Glen the Geezer Glider Guider Guy" for all the time I spent reclined in the lawn chair. But one day I saw the birds chasing the bugs up into thermals in such a big way, just as Ron had described, and I quickly soldered in a new aileron servo so I could launch into this "excited air". 3 hours, 25 minutes later (about 7 minutes motor run), I'd just about doubled the club duration record and had let the glider ride thermals so high that I could only see it by banking it to catch the glint from the sun. If only I'd left some drinking water within reach!

One thing that I don't think that many people appreciate about this beautiful place is the nighttime sky. Whether it's under a full moon as happened this time, where the whole valley is lit up, or dark enough to see more stars than I've ever seen, it's such a beautiful spot! I'm determined to have a couple of night-flight rigs for May to better appreciate this time of day, er,, night.

I watched Ivan perfect the setup on his Beverly by midweek. He moved the main gear forward to give easier rotation for takeoff and nice, nose-light landings.

Thanks once again for the great hospitality Ron!

Glen
Sep 02, 2007, 02:14 AM
Wow, Glen, I'm very jealous! Only a few more years to retirement, and I'll be able to extend those fly-ins from weekends to whole weeks. I agree on the great night skies up the valley, with no big city light pollution dimming the splendour. One of the best Aurora displays I've ever seen was over the upper Fraser Valley in late fall about 10 years ago - even better than those in the Peace Country!

The Beverly looked really dialed in when I flew it on Sun. afternoon, but knowing Ivan, he's always finding little ways to make every project a little better, until he feels it's "right".

Say HI to Laura, and tell her I missed our usual coffe time chin-wag on diverse and obscure subjects. :-)

Brad.
Sep 02, 2007, 09:57 PM
I would like to add my thanks to all the others Ron. I have missed the last three years of meets at Chilliwack due to two trips to the UK and several family events. I had almost forgotten how great it is up there. I too have been enjoying the venue, as Brad pointed out, for ten years now, wow,,, how time flies. Thanks again Hal for test flying my "New Somethin Extra", I hope I did not put a pemanent crease in your jacket when I guided you off the runway :-).
It was, as usual, great to meet old friends and make new ones, hello Luke and Sarah!!.

Until next time,
Robert.
Sep 13, 2007, 10:47 AM
Team Tracon!
Hi Everyone,

Just a little heads up....

FLY RC magazine November issue is now out, look for the Chilliwack 2007 Fly-In article on page 46 !!!

Sam
Sep 15, 2007, 02:42 AM
Student of Ivan
Walmart had the latest issue of Fly R/C tonight and my wife picked it up for me. Great coverage Luke! Wonderful article Sam and wonderful pictures by Beverly!

There were some very nice models by many of the folks here on RCG.

One model I wasn't aware of was Ivan's "Angel" (pg 47 upper right). Anyone have more pics of this?

John
Sep 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
Team Tracon!
Thanks for the nice feedback John !

For more pictures, check out our website by the link below...

Right here:

http://teamtracon.netfirms.com/event...s.php?album=12

Sam
Sep 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
Nice article for sure! I must point out that the two DH2's are not new Tritle designs, so don't call Pat looking for the "New DH2". Mine is from Mike Roach plans, and Ken's is from a Kavan kit.
Sep 16, 2007, 10:19 PM
Great job, Sam and Beverly, as always! I even spotted my chubby self in the background of a couple pics. Beverly really caught the Springtime majesty of the Coast Range in some of those shots. See you there next Spring.
Brad.

Quick Reply