Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Nov 18, 2002, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by helimatt

Need help with wing and electronics access . . .

Tyson - great video of the Brewster. I am one of the people that has been inspired by your successes with the FG plans. I am well on my way through building a 31" wingspan FW-190.

I have three questions that I hope yourself or someone else can help me with, as I near completion:

1) How did you attach the wing to the fuse? Is it permanent or removable? How do you access the battery / electronics? Remove the wing, or did you cut a hatch around the canopy?

2) I followed the FG plans to the letter, which on the FW-190 calls for making the top of the wing in two sections. I see from your website you used one section on your FW-190. I have not glued the wing up yet, so I could cut another wing top if need be. Is there an advantage to using one piece, or can I continue to use the two separate halves that I already cut, painted, and taped ( I assume you modified the FG plans here for a reason!).

3) How critical is the spar placement? 25% from leading edge? 30% from leading edge? Can one do better than form the airfoil by eye here, or is that good enough?

Scratchbuilder - I assume you are trying to scale up the plans. I had the same problem you did. I just took the screen shot from Adobe, and pasted it into MS Paint. I then printed it out, took some measurements, and used the MS Paint Image -> Scale / Skew function to blow the plans up as needed. They come out pretty blurry, but I found that if you are careful when transfering them to depron, then work out quite well nevertheless. My fuse went together without a hitch doing it this way.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by Tyson
Mie oo Karjala poikii

Re: Need help with wing and electronics access . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by helimatt
1) How did you attach the wing to the fuse? Is it permanent or removable?
On FW-190 and Spitfire the wing is glued to fuse. On P-51 it is attached with rubberbands.

Quote:
How do you access the battery / electronics? Remove the wing, or did you cut a hatch around the canopy?
There is a hole (as in FG plans) under the canopy.

Quote:
2) I followed the FG plans to the letter, which on the FW-190 calls for making the top of the wing in two sections. I see from your website you used one section on your FW-190. I have not glued the wing up yet, so I could cut another wing top if need be. Is there an advantage to using one piece, or can I continue to use the two separate halves that I already cut, painted, and taped ( I assume you modified the FG plans here for a reason!).
FW-190 wing is built out of two separate halves, check out Spitfire construction pictures for details:
http://www.careliawin.com/tyson/RCSpit.htm

Quote:
3) How critical is the spar placement? 25% from leading edge? 30% from leading edge? Can one do better than form the airfoil by eye here, or is that good enough?
I've been using using That-Looks-About-Right method with a great success.

-=Mike=-
http://www.careliawin.com/tyson