Specs.

Wing span: 36 in.
Wing area: 216 sq. in.
Wt. with radio: 22-28 oz.
Wing loading: 14.6-18.6 oz./sq. ft.
Length: 28.5 in.
2-4 channel radio reqd.
Engine: TD.051 - .10 2-stroke .

Can it be done? Yes, House of Balsa Mustang can be electrified, it's just determining the right power house combo, but which one, and what are they?

Here's what I have in mind:

Mega (of course) x5
6x4 prop.
8-12HeCells
HS 555.
HS 55.
Lot's of lighting holes, and shave off as much, as possible, not a lot of just enough

Let start. (Anyone have build this before me, your welcome to join in. share w/ me your experience. In building as well, as flying this superb, sporty, one of a kind airplane)

The Kit.

One reason, that I got myself into converting glow to E. is the mere simple mathematics behind it. E-airplanes are getting popular, that manufacturers are ridiculously POP'n! up their prices. A price, that can buy you one or two glow airplanes waiting to be converted in modeling the rewards lays underneath it's challenge.

Here's the pic. of the kit and it's content. Not bad.. Looks a like it's a lot of wood, but as soon, as the fuse fell into place. I was able to eliminate some, within an 40min.
Last edited by genovia; Oct 25, 2003 at 02:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2002, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
fuse
Nov 18, 2002, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
motor setup
Nov 18, 2002, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Nov 18, 2002, 07:32 PM
Jimmy Best just did a review of the HOB FW-190, which is the same thing (essentially) as the HOB P-51. Jimmy has hands down built more of these HOB kits for e-conversion than anyone on the planet. Read his article, he knows what he is doing
Nov 18, 2002, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Slope Nut,

Thank you for the info. in what edition of month was the review written on, and w/c magazine?

thanks,
genovia
Nov 19, 2002, 06:28 AM
Thread OP
I finally got everything down to the finalization of the mustang constructions. 70% finish.

Look'n sweet already.
Nov 19, 2002, 09:14 AM
Right here on the Ezone, should be on the front page.

Greg
Nov 19, 2002, 09:43 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
Antonio. Here's the link the FW109 conversion.

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...90/fw190.shtml

The P-51 is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

- Bill
Nov 19, 2002, 11:42 AM
Balsa Flies Better!

Power system

I'm flying a FunX-E at 23 oz on a Mega 5 turn, 10 cell HE 1100 pack and a 7.5 x 4 folder. Should be very sweet in your "stang. PS- I'm assuming you're leaving the gear off- plus leave the blocks out.

Sam
Nov 19, 2002, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Slope Nut,

Thanks

Hi Bill,

That's the link.

***The P-51 is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product. ***

Almost done.. Few more pieces to fit

***PS- I'm assuming you're leaving the gear off- plus leave the blocks out***

Megowcoupe,

Now here, where it becomes interesting, because I was thinking of putting the LG. if I'm flying it in a field where there's a nice landing to land on. Or ROG.

After I installed the LG. blocks (both sides) and studying the plans, the LG. doesn't just looks weak, it is weak and I think, I will suffer weight penalty in once she's finish.

I'll try and put probond to the surrounding area, and see if that will beef it up a bit

I came up with a cool fresh idea for the top fuselage (I think, it's a fresh idea) My mod. I'll post them tonight

Thanks guys,
genovia
Nov 19, 2002, 02:44 PM
Balsa Flies Better!

That gear weak?

Most folks have a very hard time landing these airplanes gracefully- a combo of a relatively fast glide and really a small wheel. Also, even when glow powered, the airplanes flew much better without gear. If you want to do a Stang with retracts- the Herr kit is a better bet. If you're going to ROG make sure you have a rudder.

I doubt many people would call the gear attachments on that airplane weak- unless you used Cyano.

Sam
Nov 19, 2002, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
***I doubt many people would call the gear attachments on that airplane weak- unless you used Cyano. ***

Judging from the field that I'm going to be running this plane.. It will take a toll on it's LG.

One more thing Sam, Would it make any difference on the level thrust to motors angle. Let just say, I want to install the motor on a straight thrust angle, would it make any difference, bet. deg. up or down? (did that make sense? )

***If you want to do a Stang with retracts- the Herr kit is a better bet.***

One at a time Sam .. Sam, Herr Stang is electrified?

*** Bill,

The link you provided was very useful, I configured how the motor mount exactly how Jim Best made his to his aircraft. Thanks.

-- I cut out lighting holes to the side of the fuselage, as Jim did to his. I am hoping to get it as close to 23oz or below

genovia
Nov 19, 2002, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
# 1st Mod.

The removable canopy will be fitted for easy battery access. I learned this method, or have gotten this idea from Dreamer and his use of magnets.

I'm using Forcefield magnets, that will meet a thin sheet of metal, that will presicely meet both magnet and metal, and fill the gap between the two.
Nov 19, 2002, 03:49 PM
Thread OP

Quick Reply