Hobby Lobby Lynx Speed Contest!!!! NEW Current top speed is 139.6 mph! - RC Groups
Aug 12, 2007, 11:24 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Contest

Hobby Lobby Lynx Speed Contest!!!! NEW Current top speed is 139.6 mph!

A little friendly competition as HL just had these on CRASH sale.
How fast can you go!

Hobby Lobby Lynx
Pusher Configuration
Motor: DonsRC Wicked 3000
Prop: APC 4.1 x 4.1
Battery 4S 2050 lipo (15C)
ESC: DonsRC Pentium 40 ESC

Radar passes were taken at 121mph on the first flight and 120 mph on the second.

My doppler measurement on the 121mph radar gun flight comes out to the same speed.

Here are two video clip I got with my Hobby Lobby SkyCamOne camera rubber banded to my sunglasses. Kind of like a head cam. First time I ever tried it.

http://www.donsrc.com/Lynxon4S.wmv
http://www.donsrc.com/Lynx4s.wmv

One pass is about 118mph the second is about 121mph. One clip seems to have the audio a fraction of a second behind. Not sure how that happened

Don

UPDATE: 10/7/2007
'Tumbler' is the current fastest Lynx on record with 128 mph!
See the video here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...66#post8315882
Last edited by The Don; Nov 28, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Time for a little bit of over the top engineering. Since I'm building another one, here's my entry. Keep up if you can.

Twin 75mm fans
Twin 40A escs
Twin Walkera 380m inrunners

It's the lipos that are the problem.

Sometimes ya just have to laugh...................

It's probably going to come in a little hot.
Aug 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
Same Day Delivery
Don, I think its going to take quite some time to respond to your opening post!
Aug 13, 2007, 07:20 PM

Don
Last edited by The Don; Aug 16, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Aug 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
damn, that thing hauls! i need one! id like to be part of the contest! does this allow any airframe mods, or iss this just a power plant comp?
Aug 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
I personally do not care, as long as it is basically looks like a Lynx. EDF, pusher, whatever. I think it would be cool to see how far we can push these birds. I say mod away. Not sure what Bob thinks but think he would not care? Should we make video evidence mandatory?

Don
Aug 13, 2007, 08:31 PM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
i think Bob would be all for it. im thinking a spj would top 120....now i just need a lynx! 55$ for a tiny foam kit sure is alot though.
Aug 13, 2007, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Time for a little bit of over the top engineering. Since I'm building another one, here's my entry. Keep up if you can.

Twin 75mm fans
Twin 40A escs
Twin Walkera 380m inrunners

It's the lipos that are the problem.

Sometimes ya just have to laugh...................

It's probably going to come in a little hot.

Holy Cow! Must see video of that inthe air. Fly it get speed on it and post it. I can doppler if needed.

Don
Aug 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
i think Bob would be all for it. im thinking a spj would top 120....now i just need a lynx! 55$ for a tiny foam kit sure is alot though.
Use the 15% off one item coupon at the banner on the top of RCG.
They just had this on crash sale a few days ago so I expect a lot more guys to join.
Aug 14, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hey Don, what 4s battery are you using that fits? I haven't started mine yet but already have one of your 2700 motors.
Aug 14, 2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Holy Cow! Must see video of that inthe air. Fly it get speed on it and post it. I can doppler if needed.

Don
I'm concerned about the foam's integrity on re-entry. The last one I did went vertical so fast that I think this one would hit orbit. In reality, I think it would be faster on a single 76mm 5 blade. This frame isn't exactly slick, a second fan of that size has alot of extra area sticking out in the wind. Sick setup though.
Aug 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H.
Hey Don, what 4s battery are you using that fits? I haven't started mine yet but already have one of your 2700 motors.
It is a new 4S lipo I am testing to add as a product. They are a 15C pack, I had to hog out a lot of foam. I will post a picture later tonight.

Don
Aug 14, 2007, 05:21 PM
EPP Addict
I bought one on crash sale so look for my entry after I can scrounge up the $$$ for a power system.
Aug 15, 2007, 11:32 PM
Here are some photos showing my setup. My receiver is in the nose, this was done so I can get the battery pack far enought back so no tail weight was needed.

Don
Aug 16, 2007, 12:26 AM
Flying motor mount master
Reported eh? Well I guess you are too over the top now.

I have something that I could put in there and really crush a lipo pack but I don't think I'll pickup a lynx up for 15% off. I was thinking of when it was on sale but I have wayyy toooo many projects.

Looks like a real fun one though!!! Did you glass it Don?

B