Aug 12, 2007, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro Racer VS Classroom Fighter -- Which should I buy?

It's too windy to fly this morning so I've been doing some ruminating on my next purchase..

I've done a ton of reading on these two Plantraco products, and from the offset the Micro Racer + TX,etc. seems the better buy, seeing as they are both priced in the same range and it is three channel VS two on the CF.

What I'd like is some folks who own both (assuming there are any here!) to give me your opinions. I'd also like to hear from anyone who owns just one - why did you decide on the model you bought and are you happy with it? Regrets?

Much appreciate any input!

Jay
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
Inciting Riots
I only have the MicroRacer. Bought it because the starter set had most all of what I needed for some cool conversion aircraft and throwing the MR body into the order was only another $13 so I figured I should have something that would fly correctly to use as a yardstick. It's a cool little plane and very fun to fly, I'll probably by another kit with the next order and make one with ailerons just to see if it performs better or worse. It's an outdoor or gymnasium sized flyer.

Regrets: Not using foam safe CA glue! I used Gorilla Glue because it was what I had, took me several nights to build it when it should have taken a couple of hours.

As I said, I really bought into this stuff for converting other aircraft. And if you are going to buy it, do it soon while the starter set is still on sale.
Aug 12, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well I'll tell ya.

This is what I did: I bought the #2 kit, cause of the sale. Then I bought the Micro Racer. I wanted the Zero but I thought I don't need it. Well I built the Micro Racer and it bombed! Seriously it sucked beyond sucked. It turned out it was due to construction errors on my part. But I was depressed. I spent all this money and I have nothing.

So I bought the Zero. I figured, hell why not cause it's factory made, test flown and trimmed. Well I got help with the Micro Racer, and I tested it again and it flew!!!!!! It flew AWESOME!!!!!! The Zero arrived and well you all know that story. So currently the Zero is flying back to Canada and the Micro Racer is kicking butt!

You can look at this in one of three ways:

One: If you are confident in your building skills then get the Kit and the Micro Racer.

Two: If you are not sure then also buy the Zero. So you can instantly be in the air while you work out the Micro Racer.

Three: Or just stop torturing yourself, crack open your wallet, take advantage of the sale and get the #2 Kit, a Micro Racer, and Zero. And ENJOY!
Aug 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
Inciting Riots
Yes but Butters, what have you learned from the Micro Racer problems? It was more than just fun in the end, now you've learned a lot that will help you in the future. Jay, if you are unsure about your building skills, by two of the MicroRacers, then you have one to learn on and butcher, and the second to make nice after you've learned what you need to know.

Also extra batteries are a good thing, I have 3 of the LP90 cells for my MR, I figure that should give me about 30 to 45 minutes of flying. And the BiCha charger would be a good idea in the end.
Aug 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'll go for the micro-racer. With the current price it makes the most sense. I've already got ideas for other aircraft to use the gear in.

Jay
Aug 12, 2007, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
Yes but Butters, what have you learned from the Micro Racer problems? It was more than just fun in the end, now you've learned a lot that will help you in the future. Jay, if you are unsure about your building skills, by two of the MicroRacers, then you have one to learn on and butcher, and the second to make nice after you've learned what you need to know.

Also extra batteries are a good thing, I have 3 of the LP90 cells for my MR, I figure that should give me about 30 to 45 minutes of flying. And the BiCha charger would be a good idea in the end.

Your right. I learned alot. Really.
Aug 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
Inciting Riots
All I can say is that once I decided that I liked the gear, I ordered a bunch of extra stuff for some conversions. The airframes are now on the way and as soon as I get them built I'll need to buy a couple of motors to see what's what.

You might want to get a couple of the 3 channel .9 gram receivers while they are still on sale. I hope Plantraco will make a tiny little receiver that has a brushless controller built in, that would be awesome. Maybe a 3 servo with brushless for some of the tiny pusher prop jets like the Teerific.
Aug 12, 2007, 04:41 PM
www.nastyflyers.com
Let me tell you my experience...

I saw plantraco's products 6 months ago, finally I decided to buy one of these planes... I bought 4 micro racers (2 P51 and 2 shoestring), after received them I saw one micro actuator had a little problem. I thought it was a big problem. I ordered 2 more... I built one of the shoestrings first, and it sucks, I thought they are a mess, they only fly at the plantarco's videos, etc. etc. after 3 unsuccess flights, the plane is broken... Then I saw the zero on a video, that's slower and more suitable for a big room. I checked all the information in this forum, and they convinced me!!! So I decided to buy one of these planes...

Then I built one of the p51's and not very convinced, I flew it today... IT WAS AWESOME!!! very but very good experience... I fly it outdoors and it's very nice!!! In my first flight I landed it on my hand!!! Just today I flew it 5 times, and another one my spree sports and my magic...

I can't wait to see my new Zero and test it. Obviously I ordered 5 props, and 4 more planes just to have enough spare parts and don't stop having fun!!!

So if you are going to fly it on a restricted area, buy the Zero, if you don't have too much restrictions, try the micro racer... Or do what Butters and me, BOTH OF THEM!!!

Regards
Aug 12, 2007, 05:33 PM
Plantraco is like a wonderful drug. And once you start you can't stop.

And you know if you have a little hick-up now and again it's ok. To be honest if everything worked perfectly it would be boring.

If the the wires come loose on a act's plug well hay no biggie. Once I have 2 -3 to fix I will bust out the iron and fix them.

It's RC baby! Either LEAD, FOLLOW, or get the hell out of the way! LOL
Aug 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
Inciting Riots
Similar to heli-crack. I've got a few of those too including one of the 100 class EP100 (mini Zoom/Pixy Zap). Need to start working on that soon since Winter is coming.
Aug 13, 2007, 08:46 AM
hummmmmm heli-crack. That's the best.

Quick Reply