Jun 02, 2001, 10:58 AM
A man with too many toys

Night Flying

Has anyone converted an ECO 8 for night flying?

to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2001, 04:14 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
You can put night opps on the fuse, and blades can be purchased with lights now.
Jun 03, 2001, 08:29 PM
A man with too many toys
Fred,

I have not seen night blades that will fit the ECO 8. Please tell me where I can purchase them.

Jun 03, 2001, 10:52 PM
3D Toy Designer
You dont need to buy any over priced blades. You can make then very easy for around $8.00

Parts list:

2 Watch batteries
5' fine coil wire, 100" spool is about 3.99
2 LED's
2 Micro switches
Blade wrap

All of this stuff can be bought at radio shack or a electronics surpluse store.

Directions:

1}. Remove the covering off your existing blades.

2}. CA one wire on the trailing edge of your blades, and the another on the leading edge.

3}. Drill or carve out a hole the same diamiter as your LED into the tip of tour blades at the C/G.

4}. Solder the leading edge wires to the + side of the LED and the trailing edge wire to the - side.

5}. Glue the LED with hot melt, silicone or Goop so it can be removed and replaced if needed.

6}. Glue your watch battery to each blade as close to the grip as possible with hot melt, silicone or Goop.

7}. Solder the wire to the battry at the + side in the center, and a small piece to the side of the battery. This is the - side .

8}. Wrap your blades with the blade wrap.

9}. Solder the wires to the micro switch and use a small band of blade wrape around the switch leaving just the rocker part exposed.

10}. Balance the blades as usual, and attach the blades back the the grips.

Thats it, 30 min. max time spent. Now go spend the $$$$ you saved on something better.

Hope this helps

Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Jun 04, 2001, 02:09 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Very cost effeicient!
Jun 04, 2001, 01:05 PM
I just picked up the 'official' light kit for my Picollo nat the weekend, and have now fitted it. Just got to wait for it to go dark now and I can really pkay!

It is surporising how easy it actually is to get the blades to light up at night on any heli using the above method - go fot it, just try them in the daylight first to make sure you won't get any surprises!!

I did try to use a seperate battery on my Nexus last year by using the swashplate to carry '+' and the main shaft to carry the '-' but it was VERY fiddly and not very succesful, putting the batteries in the blades is a WHOLE LOT easier!

Richard.
Jun 24, 2001, 01:30 PM
In the winter and spring I fly my ECO more at night than daytime. No lighted blades or light rope though, just flying it bare under the lights in my back yard.
I think I'll try MicroRotors idea and convert a set of woodies for night use.

Which LED's and watch batteries have you had succuss with ?
No need to re-invent the wheel/night blade, right ??
Jul 01, 2001, 10:54 AM
MicroRotors - What number battery and LED did you use ?
Jul 01, 2001, 11:19 PM
Triad of Fun
You all have probably seen this before but check out http://www.inetport.com/~davisele/night.html for the coolest night flying blades I've ever seen.

This guy uses 8 LED's and a computer in the blades for a moving display. He can display the RPM of the rotor in block text!
Jul 01, 2001, 11:39 PM
Very cool.