Aug 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Stinger - Sport, Propjet, Free Plans *Video*

My latest project based on K/F stepped airfoil design.
Stinger
Aileron, rudder, elevator, throttle
Swept Wing
Wing span 33.25 inches
Overall length 30"
Chord 12" Including ailerons 9 3/4" w/o ailerons
Wing area 408 Sq in. including ailerons.
AUW including 800ma 3 cell lipo = 12.5 ounces
Wing Loading = 4.8 oz/sq. ft

Materials:
Fan Fold Foam one sheet
1 carbon arrow shaft 28" in length with screw insert for mounting motor
2 bbq skewers for wing struts
Small piece of credit card material
2 popsicle sticks for control horn material
hot glue
epoxy
small piece of poly cutting board for motor/gear mount or plywood
2 8 gram sub-micro servos
1 micro servo
motor of your choice - This model is way overpowered with a bp21. Soon to be changed to a 2410-08/1000 rpm/w
18 amp ESC
micro 4 channel receiver
800ma 3 cell lipo
h20 gray paint - 2 dusted on thin coats

Very Easy and Fast To Build

Flys great at a walking pace inches off of the ground or extremely fast with the throttle bumped up. No bad stall habits! Very tight loops, nice rolls and amazing snaps.
Floats in deadstick to a perfect power off landing.
Should be able to thermal this plane but conditions have not been right yet to try it.
Motor mount is set up for simple gear installation if desired.
I am considering adding another servo and going with flaperons.

Video Posted
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...24#post7970143

Plans Posted
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=26

Building Instructions and Tips
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...09&postcount=4
Last edited by Bogard; Sep 23, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
Two words: Need Video. Lol very cool.
Aug 10, 2007, 01:15 PM
Use whatcha got!
Looks good Bogard... guess I'll be the first to say it...

Plans?
Aug 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
Thread OP

Stinger - Building Instructions and Tips

This plane is an easy build and builds quickly. You should be able to have an unpainted version ready to fly in about 4 or 5 hours.
--Print and paste 1:1 PDF plans. Click here for plans:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=26
--Trace and cut out wing and horizontal stab on fff.
--Trace and cut out wing doublers. May be cut out in 2 pieces.
--Trace and cut out elevator, top fuse, and bottom fuse sections.
--Laminate the wing and wing doubler using epoxy thinned with acetone or other glue of your choice. Look here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=137
--Glue your arrow shaft to the wing and stabilizer section. I use use hot glue for this. I rough the arrow shaft with a file or dremel tool so the glue sticks better. I also sand a small round channel in the foam so that the glue attaches to more foam surface area.
--Sand in or cut in with a razorblade the leading edge shape which looks like this >.
--Sand off all exterior edges on all fuse and wing parts.
--Cut out the ailerons and rudder using a razor angled at 45 or more degrees.
--Cut the hinge angle in the elevator using a razor angled at 45 degrees.
--Use clear packaging tape to attach all control surfaces. Tape both the top and bottom of each surface.
--Lightly sand all wing, fuse and contol surfaces including packaging tape, that will be painted.
--Use hot glue or glue of your choice to to attach the lower fuselage section to the arrow shaft.
--Use hot glue or glue of your choice to to attach the top fuselage section to the wing stab section.
--Complete all painting now. Use paint sparingly as it adds more weight than you might think. Several dusted on coats is best.
--Cut out, drill, and mount your motor mount. (see motor mount details on plan) or here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=45
--Cut and attach control surface horns. I make mine out of the top and bottom 5/8" of 2 popsicle sticks. Drill a 1/32" hole in each horn and mount them using hot glue in small slots you cut in each controls surface. I put a small piece of packaging tape on the bottom of the slot before gluing to keep the glue from being forced out the bottom when attaching the horn. I have never had one of these horns fail or come out of the slot.
--Decide on your servo locations and cut slots in the wing and tail sections to install servos. If you are using a single aileron servo a hole will need to be cut in the fuse to allow the servo arm to move. I use submicro servos for the elevator and rudder and a micro for the ailersons. You need more torque for the ailerons than subs can provide. You could also use a sub on each aileron if you want to go with all sub micros. The weight ends up about the same either way. I use hot glue to attach all of the servos.
--Attach your reciever and ESC on the left fuse side. I use velco for this job.
--Use music wire of your choice to connect all servos to the respective horns. I use wire thick enough so that rod guides are not needed.
--Attach your motor to the mount and bend landing gear out of 1/16 music wire if so desired. The plane is fun to fly off of the ground and the gear is easy to put on and take off.
--Use your battery installation to balance your model. I set the initial CG at 2 1/8" in from the leading edge at the wingtips. You can move the CG back after testing. I have located my CG as far back as 2 3/4" once the aircraft is trimmed and tested.
--Install your battery on the left side of the model using light weight velco straps.
--This should complete your build.....have fun!!!

Bill
Last edited by Bogard; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Aug 10, 2007, 03:18 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
Hey Bogard,

Looks great...but i'm just now havin fun with your Illusion! If it flies like that I will definately build one.

Stephan
Aug 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
John Cock...tos...ton
BTW, finally got the CG where I want it and it snaps in a milla sec! Hovers great too.

Stephan
Aug 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan8
Hey Bogard,

Looks great...but i'm just now havin fun with your Illusion! If it flies like that I will definately build one.

Stephan
Hey Stephan,
Glad your thrashin the Illusion! This plane builds in similiar fashion but definately flies different. It slows down more and is great for givin the worms a slow speed haircut....but...it is also much faster...scary fast.... when turned up Loops like nothing I ever built before. I am still experimenting with it...stay tuned!
I have been testing out the wing struts trying to make them fail and so far they are holding tight.

Bill
Aug 10, 2007, 10:10 PM
Crash Master
Sweet and Simple.... Great combination!
Aug 11, 2007, 05:52 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
...and "Jet-like" too... COOL!!!
Just have to make this one ...Know that MS has drooled all over his keyboard...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 11, 2007, 07:04 AM
ExtremeFlightRC.com
Good looking design. Can't wait to see a video. What precentage did you use for the step (on the wing)? Have to move this to the top of the build list.

Glad to see other PA fliers. Where about are you in central PA?

Noll
Aug 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Hey Noll,
I am from the Williamsport Area....if you get out this way give me a shout and we can do a little flying.

The step is on the bottom and it is about 30%.

If the wind stays down I am going to get my cameraman (wife that is) and shoot some video today. I did shoot some yesterday in 20 mph gusty winds but they were not worth posting.

Stay tuned!

Bill
Aug 11, 2007, 07:55 AM
Thread OP

gpw - plans

gpw,
I hope to have the plans ready today. Thanks for your interest.

Bill
Last edited by Bogard; Aug 11, 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Aug 11, 2007, 08:43 AM
Go Sabres!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogard
gpw,
I hope to have the plans ready today. Thanks for your interest.

Bill
Nice!! Looking forward to the plans.
Aug 11, 2007, 12:33 PM
Thread OP

Stinger Video

Stinger Video
Gave it a try this morning....was a bit gusty but not too bad.
BP21, 8x4 prop.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...24#post7970143
Aug 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Wow!!! it flies SUPER!!! Great throttle management too !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply