Aug 09, 2007, 01:49 PM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
Discussion

Bob Hoey turkey vulture

Has anyone built this model from his plans?
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jan 11, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2007, 10:10 AM
No, but upon searching for it online and reading about it, I do admit that it's pretty cool stuff.
Aug 14, 2007, 06:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
I saw an e-mail address for Bob somewhere so maybe that's an option. If not, then I guess I'll just have to figure out the sticking points for myself and post the results. Right now I have to finish my second attempt at a pod & boom spirit project I'm doing. The turkey vulture is supposed to be one of this years winter projects. It's just so cool it's hard not to start it.
Aug 16, 2007, 05:53 PM
Old Scale Glider Guy!
I have seen his video at a talk he did a few years ago. It was something to see a model bird fly with the birds.

I know Bob and will try to contact him and see if he can post some info for you.

Merrill
Aug 16, 2007, 06:09 PM
Old Scale Glider Guy!
I just got off the phone with Bob and he gave me his email address for you.

He stated that he would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

b o b h @ a n t e l e c o m . n e t

Merrill Brady
Downey, CA
AMA 276833
LSF 7247 Level V #116
Last edited by Mr B....; Aug 21, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
Aug 18, 2007, 06:14 AM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
Once again this proves to be one of the greatest communities on the net! Thanks so much for all of your time & help. I'll be dropping him a line as soon as I get ready to start. I've just about finished the Spirit project. I picked up most of the wood for the Turkey Vulture yesterday and I'm hoping to get the rest today at another lhs. My Tower Hobbies order should be here soon as well and then I may just start the build instead of waiting for winter. It's too fascinating of a build to put off.
Aug 18, 2007, 01:07 PM
Old Scale Glider Guy!
I am glad that I was able to help. Bob is one of those cool guys that I just happen to know!

Let's go FLY, Fishing!

Merrill Brady
Downey, CA
AMA 276833
LSF 7247 Level V #116
Jan 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
I have finally purchased the last piece of balsa needed to start this project. I had to make a few because of their sizes. I only have two other projects going and one of those is close to done so I plan to start this soon. I would really like to have this done for this years season.
Jan 11, 2008, 03:27 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
Anyone have pics of a Turkey Vulture? If not, Steve how bout posting some as you progress?
Jan 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I have finally purchased the last piece of balsa needed to start this project. I had to make a few because of their sizes. I only have two other projects going and one of those is close to done so I plan to start this soon. I would really like to have this done for this years season.
If you are planning to do a build thread on this one, I'll be watching closely!

FF
Jan 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift

watching

Me too!

I spent some time in Florida for Christmas and renewed my appreciation for soaring birds.

I even had a bald eagle spiral dive-bomb our foam trainer from high altitude. The eagle backed off before making contact. Perhaps I was above his fishing spot?

Anyway, it would be great to have a plane that really looks like one of them. If you do a build thread I'll be watching.
Jan 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
Looking for lift...
I for one appreciate the soaring abilities of the Vulture. At the mention of a picture I went to Google and came up with one for wallpaper here.

Steve, I for one would glad to follow a build thread if you were so inclined.

Vulture
Jan 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
Honestly, I wasn't planning a step by step build thread on this project. With 575 views already I see there may be interest enough to make it worth while. Vulture, thanks for the link to the vulture pics. They make for great encouragement! So I guess it's time to get out the camera and get ready to start.
First I had to clean the shop. While I'm really an anal kind of guy about clean and neat, the shop has been under attack from several major projects that left it in disarray. While not 100% it's close enough to work in. Of course when you finally have the shop you've always dreamed of you get the privilege of showing it off. shop
Last edited by Steve Boone; Jan 12, 2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: To clean up this thread I started a new one for the shop pics
Jan 12, 2008, 08:48 AM
founder of the SSP
Thread OP
Of course I needed to cut the plywood former first. Unfortunately my new Hitachi scroll saw had a switch go bad and is in for repairs. (remember the good old days when they would just send you a switch and an apology, not any more) It should be back soon. I plan to start cutting ribs so I can get that out of the way. The ribs are shaped very different from a normal airfoil section as you may guess. So after much frustration at the local post office I finally have managed to print off copies of them. I plan to glue them to the wood and cut them by hand. I've been building for 27 yrs (not many ARF's back then) and I must say this is a bit intimidating at this point. There are a lot of "new" techniques I haven't done before. It's a bit daunting and yet exciting at the same time. I plan to contact Mr Hoey as soon as I get the ribs done to get a bit of info to help.
Jan 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
As far as pics, I was hoping for a pic of the MODEL!! I've seen plenty of buzzards, and soared with them on countless occasions. How bout it, anyone have a pic of the model?

Quick Reply