destroyed my lipo, need voltage sensing on/off switch - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2007, 09:49 PM
K4UAV
Discussion

destroyed my lipo, need voltage sensing on/off switch

I had a lipo connected to some video gear, got distracted, and the next day I noticed they are puffed. It could have been a lot worse considering how carelessness with lipos often cause fires. Does anyone know of a switch that will completely disconnect the battery when the voltage sags to a certain point? The lipo savers I have seen will pulse the main power, but the device itself remains sucking a few milliamps until it is disconnected. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-dave
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2007, 12:17 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
As far as I know, no. Unless they use a relay that is NO. Hummm.
A relay would drain your pack faster just to hold the contacts closed and then there is an amperage issue through the contacts and weight issue...
If you would only use this on a test stand I see no problem setting one up. You would only need a NO (normally open) 12V relay that would go open at around 9V. Happens close to this by default anyhow.
Hey, patent that thing when you get it wired up. LOL

Rick
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Aug 09, 2007, 02:17 AM
Wouldn't take much. A relay with holding contacts, a cut-off reference voltage, and a voltage comparator chip. Hit the cut-off, relay holding contacts open, everything is off.

Bet the guys in the DIY Electronics forum could whip it up in a heartbeat. It would take me umpteen heartbeats.

Bill
Last edited by ebill3; Aug 09, 2007 at 03:18 AM.
Aug 09, 2007, 02:02 PM
Permanently Banned
fma voltage guard 2s-4s
Aug 09, 2007, 05:18 PM
K4UAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
fma voltage guard 2s-4s
Got a link? All I could find is ther "Safety Guard" which limits charging voltage.

-dave
Aug 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
Permanently Banned
the enclosed instructions also tell U how to use it as a cutoff for a load , maybe it's ava on FMA pdf files or manuals
Aug 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
Use a Schmidt trigger and a latching relay.
Aug 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
Permanently Banned
too much work, COTS RDY TO USE STUFF ONLY ACCEPTABLE
Aug 10, 2007, 05:34 PM
Reduce the drama...
Look Whats cooking!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725572