Aug 06, 2007, 08:44 PM
"Flying is my life!"
Thread OP
Discussion

Ultimate RC foam glue?

If you have used this glue, please take a moment to share your experience.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2007, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
I'm partial to the Polyurethane glues; Gorilla Glue, Probond, etc.

Light, flexible, strong.

It takes some getting used to though.

Will

Aug 06, 2007, 08:53 PM

Ultimate glue

i'm on my 2nd bottle i find i'm useing it more and more, just takes a little longer to set good. but in my old age i'm slow anyway.lol... takes longer to set all the way, but has a stronger joint
Aug 06, 2007, 09:17 PM
Winging it >
How long does it take until it is cured enough?...enough to handle and continue building?
Aug 06, 2007, 09:36 PM
"Flying is my life!"
Thread OP
Yes, my current favorite is also the polyurethanes. I find them the best for foam to foam and especially carbon fiber to foam.

Gorrila Glue is excellent but it takes a few models before you learn how to apply it so it doesn't overfoam. The dried tan color is a negative. I understand they have a new glue that dries white but I have not seen it on a shelf.

Loctite Sumo is better for dried color (white) and less foaming. The downside of Sumo is it is hard to squeeze out of the bottle and I think it has a shorter shelf life.

What I have found to be a great help is to make an application tip out of 1/8th inch aluminum tubing and flatten the application end so the glue comes out in a flat ribbon instead of a round "rod". But, you can't clean this out when you finish so you have to make a new tip for each application.

After the polyurethanes then UHU Creative is my next favorite. Works OK for foam to foam or carbon to foam. Where I find it best suited is gluing velcro or servos to foam...nothing better.

Never epoxy or CA as they are too brittle.

Keep the feedback coming on glues you like.
Aug 06, 2007, 09:44 PM

setting time

hot as it is during the day anywere from 10 to 15 mins. but i'm learning to use the polyurethanes as they seem to be the strongest of the bunch. as for glueing two 6mm wing panels together i use finishing epoxy as it's not as brittle as 5 or 30 min epoxy. and 5 epoxy for motor plates and mounts, but will change to polyurethanes for them as i learn to control the foaming
Aug 06, 2007, 09:44 PM
Winging it >
My favorite glue so far is Sumo. You can tame the foaming by smushing it down with a popsicle stick before it completely cures. I agree, the urethanes are light strong and cost effective. I wish the Sumo bottle was easier to squeeze and (semi)transparent.

My favorite trick is to leave a couple of small bare spots with no Sumo, then apply dabs of hot glue to these small areas. The hot glue pins the parts together while the Sumo sets up.
Aug 06, 2007, 09:48 PM

idea

great idea about tacking with a glue gun do you put the polyurethanes on first then place the part or polyurethane then hot glue then stick the part?
Aug 06, 2007, 09:51 PM
Suspended Account
Mixing the glue with water will speed the curing process. The problem with that is it will foam like crazy if you use too much. A little goes a long way.

Painters tape on the joint helps with the foaming and will hold the pieces in place.

Glue mixed with water at 3 to 1 will cure in about 30 to 40 minutes.

Video: Polyurethane glue and water

Will

Aug 06, 2007, 09:52 PM
Suspended Account
The hot glue tip is a great idea, gonna have to give that one a try.

Will

Aug 06, 2007, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyVA
...Never epoxy or CA as they are too brittle.

Keep the feedback coming on glues you like.
A blanket condemnation of epoxy is inappropriate, IMO, without clarification of the formulation.

In John Gardner's classic boatbuilding book, Building Classic Small Craft, there is an extensive section on Boatbuilding Glues, pp. 291-295 in the Appendix. Under the categories of "Epoxies", mr. Garner pointed out that "By selection and combination, chemists can formulate tailor-made epoxy adhesives with almost any desired combination of characteristics ..." Much of this discussion appears to have come from his earlier series of articles on the subject in National Fisherman.

Google is your friend, folks. A search with the string "modified epoxy resin versamid polysulfide" should get you a few links to info on epoxy and co-reactants that can be used to tailor the properties to your liking.

If there's enough demand, I could probably dig up my old copies of NF to find the articles from JG, himself.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Aug 07, 2007 at 07:44 AM.
Aug 06, 2007, 10:18 PM
so 8 hours went by?
Aug 06, 2007, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by zertsman
so 8 hours went by?
7:42PM to 8:31PM ~ 45 minutes.

Will

Aug 06, 2007, 11:01 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
I have a problem with Gorilla Glue forcing parts away from each other with the foam. I end up having to come up with complicated forms to push parts into each other while maintaining alignment.

Also, doesn't it take 24 hours to cure?
Aug 06, 2007, 11:11 PM
who uses glue??? i use magic.....maybe thats y none of my planes work and i have fff dissapearing

Quick Reply