Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 06, 2007, 05:08 PM
Discussion

20" Mini Swift Build

Thought I'd share my latest build. I know this wing isn't very popular but I know there are some Hawaii guys that like them.

Anyway, the goal was to build a compact, somewhat lite "everyday" wing that I can leave in my truck and fly wherever, whenever (weather permitting). I wanted it to be capable of decent speeds but can also be flow very slow. I also wanted to use electronics I already had lying around.

I didn't document every detail of the build but I did try to point out things that I did different from the MS Composit instructions. Some things are "Ritewing like" but I couln't help it. After building a Ritewing it's hard to build any other way. For the most part I tried to keep it as simple as possible. No glassing here....but then again, it didn't need the strength as it's not going balistic.

Enjoy...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2007, 07:53 PM
Fatboys can fly
Nice build,I had thought about getting one of these to fly out of my back yard to replace my destroyed Swift II. Now that I've seen your well done build I think I'm going to get a Mini and a Swift II.It appeared in your pics that the battery bay is'nt cut out as it is on our Swift IIs,or did you seal it with scrapp EPP? Also did the little wing float as expected?
Aug 06, 2007, 08:15 PM
KILLER OF GIANTS !!!
I have one and built it in a very similar way. They do make a nice "fly anywhere" wing. You may want to mist a tiny amount of 77 on the elevon hinge lines and lay a small piece of the tape along the hinge line, otherwise the elevons will begin to tear off fairly quickly.

Lono
Aug 06, 2007, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc
It appeared in your pics that the battery bay is'nt cut out as it is on our Swift IIs,or did you seal it with scrapp EPP? Also did the little wing float as expected?
I have a Swift II also and that was my first wing ever. You're correct about the batt bay. Only the servo bays were pre-cut on the mini, unlike the Swift II which had the batt bay cut aswell. I cut the batt bay out before I glued the cores together. That way I was able to leave the hatch on the bay without completely cutting it off. I did add a thin layer of GOOP so that the hatch won't rip off over time.

This wing could have been alot lightre but at this weight it does still float a little in light wind conditions. I originally used this motor in my Swift II which made it very light and floaty. If you want to built it lighter I would go with a 12mm medusa and 400mah - 800mah LiPo.
Aug 06, 2007, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian
You may want to mist a tiny amount of 77 on the elevon hinge lines and lay a small piece of the tape along the hinge line, otherwise the elevons will begin to tear off fairly quickly.
Wassup Lono,
I thought about protecting the elevon hinges too because I already ripped both off of my Swift II. I just CA'd them back on and there good to go though. I actually put a thin layer of GOOP over the bottom side of the elevon hinges but the GOOP ended up being to stiff so I wasn't getting full travel on the elevon. I just peeled the GOOP off and now she's all good. I like the idea of using 77. I think I'll use 3M90 instead.

BTW: I'm a Hawaii boy myself....live in the mainland though....checkout my Avatar(Hawaii plate), good stuff yeah?
Aug 07, 2007, 12:18 AM
KILLER OF GIANTS !!!
Aloha Sloonz,
I travel to phoenix every few months....I'll send you a pm next time I go and we'll get together and fly.

Lono
Aug 07, 2007, 05:07 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Hey nice work where are you guys getting good prices on these?
Aug 07, 2007, 07:12 AM
Designer of Flying Things

Nice Find

olmod,
I bought two green ones last night for 26 bucks each.
http://www.mscompositusa.com/mini-sw...tro-green.html

As you can tell by the price, green is the inferior color All other colors cost 4 bucks more!

I was not aware of these prior to this thread. Thanks for the heads up!
I was just about to scale down some templates and cut my own.
We are going to indoor pylon these in my buds basement using the e-flite 250 outrunners on two 480mA lipos.

Rich
Aug 07, 2007, 08:12 AM
Good Better Best quest.
God price i bought a few of these https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5358 using gws 6030 on 2sp give 200g thrust 2.5amps
just waiting on some calm weather (winter here) to try this.
Last edited by olmod; Aug 19, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Aug 07, 2007, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
I think the price is the same for mortals too! LOL
Man that little motor for under 13 bucks! I gotta get me some!
specs:

Micro sized motor.
Tightly hand wound with thick guage copper.
Well machined and balanced.

Spec.
Model: 1811-2000
Kv: 2000rpm/v
Weight: 10g (With wires and mount)
Suggested Prop: 7x5
Suggested Power: 7.4v
No Load Current: .4a
Thrust: 130g / 5000rpm
7.4v no-load speed: 15000rpm
Peak Eff Current: 5.5A
Shaft: 2mm
Diameter: 18mm
Length: 30mm (including mount & shaft)

A 10 gram motor..for about 10 bucks! I must be dead and in heaven..sweet!
All this and the Thunderbird 6 on sale!

Rich
Aug 09, 2007, 11:45 AM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
STOCK IS (-12) ON THAT MOTOR. BE CAREFUL IN YOUR ORDERING AS IT MAY TAKE A WHILE (if ever).
Aug 09, 2007, 12:28 PM
Dang..those went fast. I ordered two on the seventh, and they had +10 in stock.

I don't mean to hijack this thread with all this cheap motor talk, but they should complement the mini swift well.

I am pleased that the little motor we are talking about has a 9 pole stator, making it an easy cadidate for rewinding. The little e-flite 250 is an LRK wind, and not as easy to re-wind.

sloonz,
I thope my junk will be in the mail today. Looking for your flight report so I know how far back we can place the cg beyond the mfg. location.
I ordered two of the 2.5 gram servos and this 10 gram motor for one wing, and will use 2 HS-50's and the e-flite 250 on the "heavy" wing.

Don't let me beat you to the flight report!

Rich
Aug 09, 2007, 06:52 PM
Small CG changes make a big difference on handling. I'v only gotten two flights in due to the cheapo 5ch BlueArrow rx I'm using. It glitches like crazy
so I ordered a 4ch Corona RS410 which should be here on Saturday. I've used the RS410 with great success in the past. The BlueArrow caused a full throttle dive straight into the ground. Only damage was the foam motor mount ripping off. Nice thing about EPP is that I just glued it back on.

With the CG toward the back end of the recommended spec. the wing tends glide nose-up. I added 0.5oz of weight in the battery compartment which put the CG dead on the recommended spec. (can't recall the exact number right now and I'm at work so I can't check but I think it was 130mm +/- 5mm). Now it glides perfectly flat and level.

If I remember correctly the Swift II required a slight up-trim on the elevons for flat flight. I have the mini's elevons set level with the top of the wing. No up deflection. I also have my endpoints set for 10mm up elev. and 8mm down.

The thrus angle isn't right either. Even under a little power it wants to climb. Also, in an unpowered dive it will pull out of the dive on it's own. Needless to say I still need to tweak it a bit. The Swift II was alot easier to setup but then again this thing is ony 20" so I expect it to be touchy.

Hope to get more flights in as soon as my Rx arrives.

One more thing...it only requires a soft overhand toss @ 1/2 throttle and she'll be up and flying. Unlike my Microjet(full throttle and throw like an Olympic javelin thrower)

Eric
Last edited by sloonz; Aug 09, 2007 at 09:48 PM.
Aug 09, 2007, 07:41 PM

$26

Nice price ... watch out for the shipping cost
Aug 10, 2007, 05:53 AM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
Slappy, what do you expect the AUW to be? That's great using the 2.5g servos in there. I'm thinking about switching one of my minis to a glider right now and I think they would be a grand idea.