Nov 16, 2002, 08:49 PM
Thread OP

Boomin lift at Cardiac

Flew another day at Cardiac. Russ drove out from Torrance and we started our hike at 10:30. The wind was lighter than yesterday but the lift was still amazing. Russ was looking at me kinda funny when I told him his 100 ounce Metoer would fly in the 15 moh breeze. But he threw it and it went up and up and up and up. How high up did it go Russ?

Anyway it was another great day at Cardiac.

TFLG

Here's Cardiac from the road. You stand in the red box.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2002, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Here's a close up of the red box. Its a BIG hill as you can see from this pic
Nov 16, 2002, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Here goes the Meteor. Honest Russ it'll fly
Nov 16, 2002, 09:41 PM
hey i know were that hill is ive driven by it so many times i never
knew it was a popular slope soaring site!!
Nov 16, 2002, 09:44 PM
No fuse too fat

Re: Boomin lift at Cardiac

Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
Russ was looking at me kinda funny when I told him his 100 ounce Metoer would fly in the 15 moh breeze. But he threw it and it went up and up and up and up. How high up did it go Russ?
To be honest, I didn't think there was enough wind for that plane, but the meadow below is nice and clear so I figured if it went down I could land it there with no problem. To my surprise there was plenty of lift! I don't know how high it went but it was up at least twice as high as I've ever had it at Fermin. I was making one screaming pass after another, and did some monster sized loops! Out on the end of the point on the right, my 100oz plane would climb like it was on an elevator despite the fact that it was flying in a nose down attitude. Behind us the lift went way up because we were only about 1/3 of the way up the mountain. It was almost eerie how quite it was, yet the lift was booming. Cardiac is definitely one of the nicest slopes I've ever flown. What a great day!

When we got there Brian launched his P-39 from the bottom of the hill and flew it right up to altitude. He flew it around for a while, then landed and we continued on up the hill. Here's the launch.
Nov 16, 2002, 09:53 PM
No fuse too fat
When we left, Brian carried one plane and flew the other as we walked down. The strange thing is that the lift goes WAY out, even as far as the road. It must be thermals because the road is a good quarter mile away from the hill. Even after walking all the way across the meadow back to my truck, Brians plane was still a speck in the sky. Here you can see it above the power lines under which my truck was parked.
Nov 16, 2002, 09:59 PM
No fuse too fat
He landed it out on the road. I don't know what it is about that place, but it sure does have a huge lift band.
Nov 16, 2002, 10:13 PM
You don't need thermals to get that kind of lift band. On a big slope like that I find that 15mph is about perfect. Less than that, you simply get less lift, more than that, the lift band gets blown down a little flatter. If the wind's just right though the lift band can easily extend out over twice the height of the hill, so you can range out 2000 feet from a 1000 foot high hill, and get very high above the top of the slope if you stay well in front of the lip of the hill, which you guys were by way of flying from only 1/3rd of the way way up. When you stand on top of the mountain you don't get to fly it up above you vertically so much because it'll get blown back. I *love* being able to stand in the middle and just do continuous series of loops.

As for the quiet part. That's one of the coolest things about flying from a ledge like that. It creates this dead pocket of air there (can even DS off it if it's big enough). I've stood on a path that cut across a hill creating a ledge like that with a 40mph wind coming up the face, and it was nearly dead quiet. I could hear my glider singing 200 feet away, and the foamies whooshing along.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. How's it landing down on the flats from above? I'll bet it gets a bit scary when the sun's behind a cloud and there's no shadows. I've been in that boat before.

ian
Nov 16, 2002, 10:34 PM
No fuse too fat
ian,
We actually landed on the hill just above where we were flying. The meadow is pretty far away and as you mentioned, it would be kind of tricky to judge the distance to the ground if it got cloudy (long walk back down the mountain too). But it's a nice safety net in case of an emergency.

Russ.
Nov 17, 2002, 12:49 PM
Free as a bird now.
That is such a cool looking place to fly. Too bad the winds arent good there very often.

Russ, did you bail on another day at work to fly with TFLG?
Nov 17, 2002, 01:01 PM
No fuse too fat
I have been known to do that. Hehehehe. But it was actually blowing on a Saturday if you can believe that luck!

Russ.
Nov 17, 2002, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Daemon
You don't need thermals to get that kind of lift band. On a big slope like that I find that 15mph is about perfect. Less than that, you simply get less lift, more than that, the lift band gets blown down a little flatter.

ian
The Lift at Cardiac is some of the strangest Iv'e seen. I have flown there in 50 mph and the lift band is sooooo big you almost cant get the plane down. Really it is difficult to get the planes down once up. I have flown there in days where there aint enough wind to blow the smell away when someone farts. Yet you can chuck a heavy plane out and the sucker goes up. It does not seem to matter. The lift band seems to never get blown flat and the better lift is usually far out away from the slope. It's like there is a static wave just sitting 1/4 mile out from the slope all the time. Anyway it's a very unusual slope.

We only go up the face about 200' and fly from there. The hill is very big, I think I saw the hieght on a topo map at 1800' ASL which would make the hill over 1000' high. Landing on the slope is a bit of a challenge at first as is avoiding the boulders. It very easy with lighter planes though. Russ had a harder time since his Meteor was very heavy and he had to land at a higher speed.

It is too bad the slope only works in east winds cause we don't get those very often. Just have to find a similar site that faces west.

TFLG
Nov 21, 2002, 03:00 PM

Have you guys been back

TFLG,
Have you been back out to Cardiac again????
Nov 21, 2002, 03:12 PM
No fuse too fat
I haven't, but I wouldn't mind giving it another go this weekend if the SA's are still blowing.

Russ.
Nov 21, 2002, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Forcast is looking like a normal west wind this weekend. So Cardiac is not going to be working. I am thinking of heading to Fermin on Saturday since I have to work in the morning anyway.

TFLG

Quick Reply