May 15, 2009, 07:19 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Could this plane be scaled to work with a speed 400 brushed motor running on 7.2v?
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2009, 07:29 PM
Foam abuser!
You could put a SP400 on it the way it is, but it would be a dog on power I think. For $30 you can't go wrong with the 2212-6 and 30A ESC combo from www.RCHotDeals.com.

Pat
May 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Thanks, Pat. $30 isn't much, but it's quite a bit more than $0. I've got bits and pieces laying around that I want to put to use. That includes the guts of a nearly expired Aerobird. If the whole thing works out, I'll have to call it "The Phoenix" (You know, one bird rising from the ashes of another)
May 16, 2009, 01:18 PM
Slow Flyer

Motor Mount

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the recommended way to mount the motor?

Is everyone using the a standard "X" mount and gluing/screwing directly into the foam?

or are you using a plywood motor mount and gluing that to the foam?

Thanks for your help.
Rob
May 16, 2009, 01:46 PM
I use basic cross motor mount thats attached with screwes to plywood base. Plywood piece is glued with epoxy to the cross section on the frame.

Picture explains more than thousand words

My old bird, rest in pieces...
May 16, 2009, 03:35 PM
still learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
Sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the recommended way to mount the motor?

Is everyone using the a standard "X" mount and gluing/screwing directly into the foam?

or are you using a plywood motor mount and gluing that to the foam?

Thanks for your help.
Rob
The motor mount works better screwed into a plywood or credit card base which is hot glued in place - the X mount glued to the foam does not work as well = tends to come loose.

here's one old pusher, two tractor motor mount photos

#2 3/4 wood screws or M2x12 screws

The X mount with a longer 8mm cylinder works better
May 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
Foam abuser!
I actually cut a disc from depron that matches the ply mount. The disc glues to the cross section of foan on the plane and the ply is epoxied to the foam disc. Then mount the motor to the ply using the X mount. It's also easier to glue the discs together first and tap the X mount holes in the ply before gluing the foam disc to the plane.

Pat
May 18, 2009, 06:29 AM
Bush Pilot
Finally finished and maidened this bird yesterday. All I can say is WOW! Thanks for a great design tomhe!

My Set Up (79% version):

Motor: Grayson 2208-08, 2600Kv
ESC: Grayson 20A
Prop: APC 5X5
Battery: Rhino 3S 20C 1050Mah
Receiver: Corona 4Ch Synthesized
Servos: HXT900 (9g) X 2

AUW: 11.2 oz
May 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Minister of R/C
Sailor Jerry...A few questions:

1. What was the flight time like?
2. Can you guesstimate the speed?

Congrats on the successful maiden.
May 18, 2009, 11:46 AM
Bush Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliTB
Sailor Jerry...A few questions:

1. What was the flight time like?
2. Can you guesstimate the speed?

Congrats on the successful maiden.
I forgot to set my timer for the maiden, but I'd guess about 8 minutes of flight time with varied throttle input. As far as speed goes, it was very difficult to guage due to the windy conditions. I plan to get alot more stick time on this plane in the next few days. I'll report back with more details soon.
May 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
Bush Pilot
I flew two more packs on my F22 this evening with the following observations:

-Flight times are 5 minutes max on my 1050mah 3S, time for a 1500.

-Plane wants to climb when throttle is applied. Could this be caused by wing flex? I put the flat spar in the wrong way and I notice the wings flexing in high G manuevers.

-Loops are ridiculous when full elevator is applied (they're more like back flips).

-Plane dips right wing in high alpha. I can't figure out why.

-I guesstimate top speed at 45-50 mph.

All in all, this is the coolest model I've ever flown. It's already fantastic and I'm sure it will be better once I work the bugs out (I'm certain that they're induced by builder error). Any input is appreciated.
May 18, 2009, 09:36 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry
I flew two more packs on my F22 this evening with the following observations:

-Flight times are 5 minutes max on my 1050mah 3S, time for a 1500.
I use Rhino 1350s and get right at 5 minutes of very spirited flying. You can stretch it to about 7 minutes with throttle management (not flying full bore almost the entire flight like me ).

Quote:
-Plane wants to climb when throttle is applied. Could this be caused by wing flex? I put the flat spar in the wrong way and I notice the wings flexing in high G manuevers.
This could be the thrust angle on the motor, or the CG is off. I would check the CG first.

Quote:
-Loops are ridiculous when full elevator is applied (they're more like back flips).
The peanut gallery always tells me that it is not a scale manuever for this plane. I love it though, always gets a "WOW!" from those that have never seen it before.

Quote:
-Plane dips right wing in high alpha. I can't figure out why.
It's just something these do. And you may notice that if you input right aileron, the plane actually goes left. You just have to get used to it. Took me a little bit to get it down.

Quote:
-I guesstimate top speed at 45-50 mph.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
All in all, this is the coolest model I've ever flown. It's already fantastic and I'm sure it will be better once I work the bugs out (I'm certain that they're induced by builder error). Any input is appreciated.
Now go do the F/A-18, it's the best of the bunch! I've already done 2!

Pat
May 19, 2009, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqkhana2002
Hi guys wanted to use

EDF 55mm 3500kv Brushless Motor Ducted Fan
for this model, is there any one who tried this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-RC-Jet-ED...3286.m20.l1116

ok guys answering to my own question here what we can do

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9003
May 20, 2009, 02:43 AM
Correct link is
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...shless_EDF_ARF

My sisters husband is currently finishing Tomhes F-22 design with 64mm 4300kv fan. We got our order last weekend from hobbycity and decided to test that fan on F-22 frame. Couple days later when we were putting new order in we saw that F-22 arf on their page. Look really similar to Tomhes design.

Well, we scheduled maiden for my twin EDF raptor and his 64mm single raptor for tomorrow so I hope we get some video footage to put here.

At least when we tested that fan, it gave 640grams of static thrust to 410g airframe
May 20, 2009, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji
Correct link is
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...shless_EDF_ARF

My sisters husband is currently finishing Tomhes F-22 design with 64mm 4300kv fan. We got our order last weekend from hobbycity and decided to test that fan on F-22 frame. Couple days later when we were putting new order in we saw that F-22 arf on their page. Look really similar to Tomhes design.

Well, we scheduled maiden for my twin EDF raptor and his 64mm single raptor for tomorrow so I hope we get some video footage to put here.

At least when we tested that fan, it gave 640grams of static thrust to 410g airframe

Can't wait for video ........ post that man as soon as you got

Quick Reply