Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Cool video Rick.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2011, 06:47 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report Jan 9, 2011

Yo Commodores!

Burrrrrr! It be cold out there. We met up at 9:30 for our breakfast meeting. Gus, Richard, Tim and I made up the crew today. We all ordered our normal breakfast and some how I won. They gave me a mountain of home fries. Not sure why but it was a bunch. We looked over the weather report while sitting in the comfort of the Holiday Inn. It was saying 40 outside with 3mph winds. That's enough wind but in an hour it was going to drop to 39 degrees.

After polishing off a fair share of the home fries we headed to the pond. The idea of staying in the hotel and sailing in the indoor pool started to sound better when we got out side.

Gus brought his new America 3, Tim, Richard and I had Vics. We pulled out some chairs and tossed the boats in the water. Tim had a portable heater and that was nice addition to the club house.

Matt, and Vanessa showed up and gave us reports of them sailing their new 612 in 15knot winds. They said they had been out twice. Once in calmer wind and the second time in the 15 stuff. They said it went great but had problems as it turned into a fish bowl. Something about the rx and servos not responding at all now. I told Matt to come on over the shop and we take a look.

Matt bought a inexpensive radio shack volt ohm meter and we had a quick lesson on how to evaluate AA batteries and test them. I think it is one of the tools everyone should have available in their pond tool kit.

Tim brought a radio and rx unit for Dennis. I'll see if I can get him setup with the servos and battery stuff for his new J boat. We sure would like to see that get on the water.

We chased each other and ran a couple of full course runs with the Vics. Everyone was frozen and we all appreciated our gloves. It was good to get back on the pond after such a long layoff.

The hobby shop in town said they were going to start carrying Vics. A new craft Hobby Lobby opened in town so it gives us another place to buy odds and ends.

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya next Sunday.

Rick
Jan 09, 2011, 11:06 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Great pictures & report.
Maybe we should put in a fire pit.
Jan 10, 2011, 01:33 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

cold

It would have been a good day for someone to bring a wooden boat. Firewood.
Jan 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

In the shop today 1/11/11

Dennis came over for a bit today and we worked getting electronics setup for his new scratch built J boat. Dennis used hand tools to build the boat and stuff he had laying around in the garage. For example the sails were from full size boat sail.

It is always fun to work out in the shop on boats.

Dennis said he will make a larger version of this and had the scale shadows printed out for the new boat. We may have to determine how many we need him to make. I know I'll be one of the first on the list the new boat.

Rick
Jan 12, 2011, 12:00 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Nice build. How long is it?
Jan 12, 2011, 12:54 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

guess at dimensions

Commodore Don,

I think it is about 36" long with an additional 7" bowspirit and maybe have a 6" beam. Commodore Dennis could give you exact numbers.

Rick
Jan 12, 2011, 03:09 AM
Age quod agis
Beautiful J boat!
Jan 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
Dennis,

Very nice, I like the bow sprit. I would like to build one with the 2 jibs.

Ed
Jan 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
servos mounted and redesigned cabin. LOA 36.5" beam 6.25". The next has two head sails.
Jan 12, 2011, 11:56 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwind900
Commodore Don,

I think it is about 36" long with an additional 7" bowspirit and maybe have a 6" beam. Commodore Dennis could give you exact numbers.

Rick
Thank You
Jan 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report Jan 13, 2011

Yo Commodores!

Okay it wasn't Sunday, but it was Thursday the 13th, that must count for something. Tim and I planned to sail today after lunch at the Holiday Inn. We didn't count on the size of the burgers. Oh Man! After the burger we were closer to being ready for a nap than sailing.

When we got to the pond there was great wind on the water. It didn't last long but the good news is the temperature got up in the 60's when the wind slowed. We grabbed out some chairs and our Vics and proceeded to sail.

I had dropped my transmitter when setting up the boat. It was nervous time as I had no lights on the Hobby King 4 channel radio. I worked on it in the back of the truck and everything came back to life after wiggling the batteries around. whew...

I had talked to Dennis before coming out and he said he had been testing his new J boat in the pool. Something about wanting to check out the underwater part of the boat, or slippery pool deck. At least he had towels at the house.

Richard pulled up with his Green Vic and joined Tim and I on the water. We had a great time sitting back in the warm sun and watching out boats ply the waters.

Richard was taking down notes on what servos to get for a J boat. He is considering getting a Canterbury J. I mentioned that Dennis was planning on making a mold and getting hulls out of a J boat.

We sailed from about 1 till almost 4pm. I was the last one to leave and just as I put the boat away a couple of guys came up and wanted to talk about boats. How much do they cost, do they have a motor... all almost new questions for me.

One had a Catalina 30 back east. And I figured I needed to pull the boat back out and show him. I powered up the radio and tossed the Vic back onto the water with an under handed bowling move. I usually try and remind others when they go to put the boat in the water to wiggle the rudder first just to make sure it is on. I forgot.

My Vic took off across the pond on a nice reach. Too bad my receiver was off. I was wondering if I was going to need a towel when it headed toward the shallow end of the pond. I got the boat back and let Bob sail the boat.

It was a great day on the pond. And I enjoyed sailing with Tim and Richard. Thanks guys!

Charge up your batteries and we will see ya Sunday.
Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Jan 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hey Rick,
Had fun today and the sun was nicefor a change. Iam still feeling the effects from the burgerfive hours later. I have some bad news it isn't Friday yet sorry. See you at the pond next Sunday.

Tim
Jan 14, 2011, 11:18 AM
Well, it looks like it was a nice time at the pond yesterday, (I was drying out) What I learned (other then don't get to close to the edge) is my J has too much sail and needs more rudder. It has 690 sq in now and I will be cutting the main today.
Jan 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
I thought I initially read that he wrote "Friday the 13th"!! I'm glad I wasn't seeing things!

Quick Reply