Oct 15, 2017, 08:38 PM
If it floats....sail it!
I sort of follow you guys. Interesting reading. One of these days I will try to get down that way and sail with you.

BTW the Victoria min is as the kit is out of the box - 4.5 lbs
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 10:13 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2018 10 22

Yo Commodores!

Last week we went to the restaurant and there were only 7 customers including us. This week we had a group of 25 and a group of 15 that ordered their food just before we sat down. Oh well, it took us a little longer, and the sound level was higher... Bill, Rick and I toughed it out to get our happy meals.

Over at the pond after breakfast, we found Dave, Christopher, Jeffery, Brad sailing. Our new guy Tim B. was setting up a boat. I stopped over to introduce myself to Tim and see his new one-meter boat an Eclipse Rage. The boat looks much like a bigger version of the RG65 with many attributes of the Dragon force boat, but bigger. It had the same keel box design, rubber bow bumper, sheeting positions on the foredeck and many other features that seemed like the Dragon boat including the same style stand.

On the water today we had 1 ODOM, 3 RG65 DF, 1 Seawind, 1 Eclipse Rage, 2 Victorias, 1 Pram, 1 Fortune 612. Scott join us a bit later in the day making 10 boats and 9 captains. Not everyone had a boat on the water but I think everyone enjoyed watching and sailing the boats.

Here are some photos I snapped today:
Last edited by Fairwind900; Oct 24, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Oct 26, 2017, 01:54 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

How do you store your rc boats?

I'm curious how you solve the problem of storing your remote control sailboats. I have some boats that are currently living on a day bed in the back of my shop. They need to find a new home and I'm looking for ideas.
Oct 29, 2017, 06:46 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond report 2017 10 29 1 meters on the pond

Yo Commodores!

It was a bright October morning. Bill, Rick and I headed over for breakfast and to solve the world's problems. Glad it didn't take much more than an hour as we had sailing to accomplish.

Bill brought two ODOMs. I was thinking something was afoot. But nope there were two ODOMs and 502 was making eye's at Rick. ODOM 502 had once belonged to Rick and it looks like it found a way to make it back to Fresno. Tim B., brought his Eclipse Rage out. Tim reported that the Victoria's hadn't made it to the Visalia Hobby store yet but he is ready.

I brought out an IOM, Fairwind, and Vic just in case. The IOM matched up best with everyone's 1-meter boats so I set up to sail.

Somewhere along the day, I think we may have had a gust t 5-6mph but most of the day the A rig on the IOM was right and the 5-6 winds didn't knock her down.

Here are some photos from the day:
Nov 05, 2017, 08:34 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 11 05 Race Day

Yo Commodores!

It was race day! We had Rick tied up with road closures in Fresno, and Bill called this AM and said he would be there next week.

I had three Victoria already packed, along with the race equipment, so I was going. Christopher and Brad made it with their RG65. A bit later Tim showed up with his Vic. To show us how it is done.

I set up a course and we had fun making 3-4 starts before Tim made it. We had some fun races. This was Christopher's first chance racing and he did great. I offered to switch out their RG65 for another Vic, but they wanted a chance to run their new boat. We had some close starts and everyone did good staying behind the line. Tim joined in and I was over in that first race. But I had fun chasing the gang.

We had a few walk-ups. One fella was from Florida and said he had a 60" sailboat and a 48" tugboat. We were thinking a S/B and a Mr. Darby. Too bad he left them in Florida.

Christopher and Brad took off and Tim and I hung out getting in a couple more races and enjoying the day. We pulled up stakes when Tim said he was getting cold. Tim works in a Freezer box so if he is cold, it is time to go.

It was a fun day. My batteries are all changed and everything is ready to sail again.

Here are some photos from the day. Brad said he video'd a complete race. I'll repost it if I get it.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:48 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 11 12

Yo Commodores!

But some days you just want a Breakfast Burrito. Bill and Rick had arrived just ahead of me at the pond. The wind was hiding and it was a bit Grey outside. We headed over to breakfast. I usually have the same order but today I wanted a Breakfast Burrito. It wasn't on the menu. No problem I'm sure they can make it, the new waitress said. She asked me what I wanted on it and we started dreaming of things they could add. We did pretty good with eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheese. She later added salsa. pretty good. The guys made suggestions what I could add to it next week.

Over at the pond when we got back Tim and Dave pulled up and we stood around chatting for a bit. Eventually, we started pulling out sailboats. An Eclipse Rage, Victoria, RG65 DF, ODOM and Seawind were added to the calm waters to hunt the wind. The conversations were full of unique topics from refrigerators to the effect of changing the jib position, to how you need to have your bricks wet when laying on mortar for a fire box. Later I switched out my Seawind for a RG65 DF to see if I could keep up with Bill.

Ricks ODOM got into a face-off with a Duck that wanted to have a word or two with the big White boat. That was pretty much the big excitement for the day. Tim is starting to modify his Rage. A forestay was removed today and two of the six shrouds were removed at the end of the day. There is a photo of Bill, Rick and Dave with Tim behind them as they talked about tuning with Dave.

Here are some photos from the day.
Nov 12, 2017, 10:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Lot of geese today.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:48 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Geese

Hi Don,

Walking over to the pond it was the topic of conversation. "Look at all those Candian Geese". We could see 7 flocks of birds around the pond, in the field across the street and on the golf course. Maybe over a hundred in all.
Nov 14, 2017, 09:13 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
It's almost Thanksgiving!!
Nov 19, 2017, 08:44 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 11 19

Yo Commodores!

It was a foggy morning and I had a new toy. I bought a GoPro Hero 5 and did a time-lapse video getting to the pond. Everything was great but the GoPro went going when I went stopping. GoPros are quick when you don't tie them down on your dash.

Anyway, Bill and I walked over to breakfast where I tried to figure out how my GoPro stored the time-lapse images. I'll figure it out and post something here later.

In the meantime, after breakfast, Brad and Christopher joined us at the pond. Then Tim pulled up and Wade. Wade is from Porterville and said he found us on the web. Shock! Wade said he wanted to check the group out and he owned a small r/c sailboat. I set up some different boats for him to try. He spent the most time sailing the Fairwind. We had other newbies come up and try their hand at sailing. It was a fun day.

I had a heck of a time with my Dragon Force today. Seems like someone put the mast in the forward instead of the rear mast step. I couldn't figure out why my jib boom wouldn't clear the mast. Ooooops.

Rick Harvey wrote he is under the weather. Hope he is back on his feet soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope you have a great Holiday!

Here are some foto's from the day.
Last edited by Fairwind900; Nov 19, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Dec 03, 2017, 09:37 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 12 03 Race Day

Yo Commodores!

We have made it to winter. Bill and I stepped out of our trucks and found a cold breeze and a burrrr! We made it over for our happy meal and then back to the pond.

In the meantime Brad and Christoper had made it to the pond and Rick had just arrived. Before too long Dave and Tim arrived and the party was starting. We had a new guy by the name of Kyle show up maybe someday he will show again.

I set up a Yi Lite time-lapse camera to replace the GoPro Hero 5 Black I bought last time. I like the Yi Lite. It was about 1/8th price and I think it would have been perfect today if someone had set the run time greater than 5 min. Oops.

The course was set up and we had Vic's on the water in strong wind 10-15mph I would guess. One of the races I could see the front four boats bows go under at the same time. Exciting! It is very different conditions for us and several of us got caught not carrying enough speed in a tack and stalling out. In one race I had a nice lead until I stalled in a burst of air stalled and started sailing backward. I was thinking will I get the boat going the right direction before I pass the number 2 boat and make him #1?

I think we all had some water in the boat at the end of the day.

Tim and Bill got tangled up Jib Boom to Backstay. I snapped photos. It was nice of them to allow me enough time to grab the photos before sailing apart.

The racing was tight with some races being inches apart. We had trouble with batteries and ended up doing a verbal countdown and that seemed to work just fine for us.

The guys all had a good time. I enjoyed seeing Tim take the Trophy home. Way to go Tim!

Here are some photos:
Dec 04, 2017, 12:00 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Way to go Tim!
Dec 10, 2017, 07:34 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 12 10

Yo Commodores!

Our California winter has arrived with the temps between 33-65 today with very light wind. It was the right move to dress in layers. And it would have been the right move to bring portable heaters. But we didn't.

As we walked from the pond over to breakfast could see maybe 100 Canadian Geese on the soccer field chowing down on fresh green clover.

Bill and I had our regular happy meal in the temporary restaurant area. The remodeled restaurant should be opening any day.

Later back over at the pond Bill discovered he had newly tinted green windows. Those Canadians sure have good aim.

We sailed Dragon Force RG65's today.
5sec time lapse Plaza Park Pond (2 min 1 sec)

Wade came out with his Westwind Proboat and sailed with us. He said he had checked with Lake Success about sailing on the Core of Engineers lake but there is some rule against sailing remote control boats. We will have to check with Bob Kidd to see what that rule is all about.

Wade's Proboat did very well in the light air and sailed without much trouble.

Different:
We saw a lady and her daughter bring a couple of Parakeets to the park in a cage.

Tim came out and showed us his new charger and get us up to date on his boat repair. I asked him to post some photos of his project. Tim said his engraver had fallen on his boat cracked the hull and bent the keel bolt. I told him Tim might want to talk to him about engraving a new club cup.

It was a good day at the park.

Here are some pics.
Dec 10, 2017, 07:57 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Testing Timp lapse on a Yi Lite Action Camera 12/10/2017

20seconds between images
Plaza Park pond sailing (0 min 4 sec)

5 seconds between images
5sec time lapse Plaza Park Pond (2 min 1 sec)
Dec 10, 2017, 10:31 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thread OP
Nice videos.

Quick Reply