Sailing on Plaza Pond - Page 148 - RC Groups
Apr 30, 2017, 10:37 PM
Taking care of the pond.
They look like happy ducks to me!
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 09:41 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Rouen Ducks... How many Canterbury J's do y'all have? I sailed with 5 in Riverside last weekend...
May 07, 2017, 05:07 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Stephen Canterbury J's

Hi Stephen,

We had 4 Canterbury J's and two J 36's. One C j changed hands several times and ended up being sold to a gentleman in AZ I think.

Tim's J was out sailing last week.

Rick
May 07, 2017, 11:23 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Beautiful boats.
May 08, 2017, 06:02 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 05 07

Yo Commodores!

We had a fun day sailing Sunday after we found each other. Bill and I changed our morning routine and didn't announce it to Facebook or out to our group email. It was my mistake sorry Rick.

We had good wind on the water and we had brought our Vic's to sail. The wind was coming out of the East from the mark and it made it a fun weather beat to get to the mark. Once you got there it was anyone's guess where the wind would come from next. We had informal races and by the end of the day, we all had won.

Next Sunday is a no sail Sunday because of Mothers Day.

Here are some photos from the day.
Jun 04, 2017, 05:44 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 06 04 Race Day

Yo Commodores!

It is race day and we are back to our old ways and schedule. 9:30 Bill, Tim and I met up for breakfast at Wyndham. They are starting to recognize us again as regulars. We got caught up and talked about things like the Americas Cup and how the hashbrowns have improved.

Over at the pond, Joe arrived and Dave came out to keep him company. Tim, Bill and I made it there and our long last pal Richard showed up for race day. Woohoo. We had some light wind but someone stole the water in the pond. The pond level was down to about 12". We had enough pond for the Victoria's but it would have been bad news for anything with more than a 7" keel.

We helped Joe setup. He did well for his first time setting up. Dave didn't bring a boat but did have moral support for everyone.

I setup up the starting line and we sailed around trying to get the boats tuned. Commodore Bill ran the start recording, and Commodore Tim ran the score sheet. The fishermen stayed clear of the course so we were good.

We ran 8 races with a couple short stops for adjustments. Here are some photos from the day. We plan to be back out next Sunday. Grab a boat and come join us.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:24 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great pictures.
Jun 12, 2017, 04:36 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 06 11

Yo Commodores!

We had a change in weather. It turned cool and windy. Rick, Bill and I brought out our ODOM's and a Victoria to face the 7-17mph winds.

Rick had his Victoria and brought his RG65 A+ sails for show and tell. Bill and I had our White and Yellow ODOM's that love the wind. The Vic hung in with us many of the races and we had fun practicing runs to the mark and back.

Here are some photos:
Jul 16, 2017, 05:54 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

Sierra MYC Pond Report 2017 07 16

Yo Commodores!

Rick and I went to breakfast and found they had black curtains around our restaurant. Construction should be done in a few months. So they put us on the platform inside and it may take them until winter to figure out how to serve folks in the new location.

Bill is off on Vacation, Tim is taking care of family matters today. I'm thinking we will see other folks when our temperatures get out of the triple digits.

I started construction of my Dragon Force RG65 A+ sails and rig last night. I didn't finish until this morning. I was glad to be able to bring it to the pond today to test it out.

Everything worked pretty well. I think I had too much rake on the mast and my halyard for the Jib isn't holding the jib up enough. It will give me something to work on this week. Generally, the A+ rig worked pretty well for first time out. It isn't dialed in yet and I need to give it way more control than normal. But okay. I had a few puffs were I could see its advantage.

It was fun sailing next to a Victoria. It made a good adversary and had me working.

Rick has an issue he was working with too. His Jib sheet blows out sometimes downwind and the back end of the Jib ends up pointing forward. Interesting.

Here are some photos from the day:
Jul 16, 2017, 11:00 PM
Taking care of the pond.
New sails look good.
Jul 18, 2017, 08:06 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC

In the shop RG65 A+ rig

I made a couple adjustments in the shop. I liked the way it looked and I think it sail much better next time out.

Now for it to cool down.

Rick
Jul 20, 2017, 04:29 AM
Malibu
Looks like a fantastic place to sail and unwind.