Aug 05, 2007, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Alert

Ikarus Yak 54 Or E-Flite Extra 260 E-Flite Sobre 3DX shocky...

Hi guys which out if the 2 will work best with my setup. And better out of the 2 on average and windier condi....

Hyperion 3S 400mah Lipo,
Hyperion 2205/46 brushless outrunner motor,
Hyperion Titan 10 ESC,
2x 5.6g servos,
1x 9g servo,

Or any other of the Ikarus or e flite range. Or anyother recommended foamies in the UK For my setup,
Thanks Jk
Last edited by jamiekerr; Aug 06, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2007, 05:43 PM
Ohh Snapp!
For a light setup I would go with the Yak.

The Extra will handle more wind b/c it's heavier, but I prefer the Yak.
Aug 05, 2007, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Oh right ok so the Yak is your prefrence but the extra handles wind better how come?? thx jk
Aug 05, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Well I quickly did a search for your motor and it looks rather small. Maybe an 80-100W motor on 3s?

I tried a Park 300 outrunner on 3s on the Extra and just didn't like it. Not enough power for my taste, but it flew. No pullout power from hover. But mine was also very heavy, with a 3 oz battery. The Extra might fly much better with your light Lipo. Check out the Extra 260's thread in this forum. There's a guy that has ballistic power on the 300 outrunner, I believe, but with a light 400-730mah 3s battery.

The Extra is much heavier/durable construction. Lots of carbon reinforcement, hence the weight gain. That extra weight lets is fly a little better in windy conditions.

If you want a floaty plane that 3D's well the Yak would be better, IMO.

If you crash a lot, the Extra will last longer. Also, the Eflite Sobre has been getting better reviews compared to the Extra. Same construction techniques.
Aug 05, 2007, 10:30 PM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
I've had the Yak on that exact motor. Works well. My only complaint about the Yak is that it takes 3 times longer to assemble than the Sobre. For that reason, I'll be flying EFlight aircraft for my flat foamies. If I'm going to put a bunch of time into assembling a foamy, I'll assemble an Equalizer and get really light, foaty performance.
Aug 06, 2007, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Ok thanks guys those inputs really helped, so Extra would fly slighly better with setup and handle wind fraction better.
Yak is better 3d plane ? am i correct??
Thx jk
Aug 06, 2007, 12:40 PM
I work for ExtremeFlightRC
Yes, the Yak is a better flying plane all around than the EFlight Extra 260 (although the extra isn't bad). the Sobre is better than the Extra, if you want an EFlight plane for the building convenience, go w/ the sobre. It's very nearly as good as the Yak, IMO.
Aug 06, 2007, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Ok kl which out of the 3 is the best overall 2nd 3rd etc.. in your opinion..i really want a shocky now i have masterd my blade epp Flexes like jelly ..thx jk
Aug 06, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
I really like the look of both of the yak and sobre,... like the idea of the sobre side force generators for better knife edge. I pressume the yak is better overall, but the sobre is more precise as its more of a indoor F3A plane??? jk
Aug 06, 2007, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
I Think it's between the Sobre And Yak I just need verdicts on which is better etc.. before i purchase...

What about the BYP Yak people have said that will work with my setup. I like the idea of trying a bi plane.. plus it would handle the wind better than the shockys?? jk
Last edited by jamiekerr; Aug 06, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Aug 07, 2007, 03:22 AM
that bipe wouldnt last a second in wind :P

TBH i cant see that you have 'mastered' the blade. I'd bet it will do rolling harriers, torque rolls, inverted harriers, blenders, flatspins etc etc. Stick with it for a while.

Ikarus F3A gets my vote for wind + 3d
Aug 07, 2007, 03:49 AM
Thread OP
Yea I probally will stick with it for a while, but its just i have used so much carbon fibre on it allready it its still like jelly.... now because its bending more it making it even sloppier??? If i try rolling harrier's the tail lags so much that it cant keep smooth or on a reasonably straight line... its ok for now but i feel that i can now handle a Depron plane to try.. if i crash i will pay the Hefty fine of 25 for another blade? JK
I would only use the Depron one in 0 wind anyway so it will be gd.
Aug 07, 2007, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
What do you guys think about the great planes range, turmoil, flantana, cap 580.. would be cool it one of them are any good so i can practice with that plane on G3.5.jk
Aug 07, 2007, 09:39 AM
Sniper
Aug 07, 2007, 09:57 AM
3DHS Junkie
I love the byp yak---but it is a 5mph or less flyer period. I am actually thinking about buying another as mine is a little "rough" around the edges after moving.

Quick Reply