Jan 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hardrock Miner
Without reading hundreds of pages, I just want to know if this x8 is a good quality system that I can use on my 50cc gasser. I sure hate to spend $300+ on Futaba's 2.4 modules. I have a 9CAP so if any one is using this combo what's your take?
Chris
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
Chris,
I'm in the same boat. I have the 9CAP too and want to switch over, but am unsure. Check out http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ Bruce is doing a shootout and he is including Assan. He has done a review of their 2.4 system and is very objective in his criticism. My main concerns are these:
1. Of the 2 channels that the Assan system chooses, only one seems to be random, or decided when powered up, it does not "hop" like the FASST or the actual FHSS do.
2. The antenna connector on the back of the Tx module is prone to failure if the 9C is left to fall on it's back, or if you rest the 9C on it's back.
3. Although I am not concerned about it personally, I believe there is no built-in failsafe (I might be remembering incorrectly, however).

What I have heard from others is that the quality of the systems from Assan are quite good and that regardless of the lack of Frequency hopping, the integrity of the connection is still quite good. I want to wait until the shootout continues to see if there has been anything resolved, but I understand your concerns.
Curtis
Jan 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hardrock Miner
Thanks man, I too will be awaiting the results.
Jan 24, 2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris
Without reading hundreds of pages, I just want to know if this x8 is a good quality system that I can use on my 50cc gasser. I sure hate to spend $300+ on Futaba's 2.4 modules. I have a 9CAP so if any one is using this combo what's your take?
Chris

Chris,
i put assan Rx mini series short antenna came with combo pack on my .46 and .25 plane....no issue at all...FYI my friend is use the mini series short antenna RX , his TX futaba 9CAP ... on his 28 cc gasser akromaster and 50 cc CAP 21...no issue until now...only once crash the CAP 21 50 cc gasser...he lost the elevator control not the assan failure but because the servo rod to elevator is broken while he flying...

28 cc gasser akromaster

50 cc gasser CAP 21...broken servo rod while flght...

regards,
atari7up
Jan 24, 2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Chris
I borrowed an Assan X8 from a fellow club member to try out in my Futaba FF9 (T9CP). Like yourself, I baulk at paying Futaba prices, they are worse here in the UK than over the pond with you Guys.

To give it the toughest test I put it into my Phase 3 EF-16, an electric EDF.

My thinking was that this is a very tough environment (electrically speaking) for the receiver so if it survives this it must be OK.

The electrical noise from the ESC is often enough to down a model by interfering with the receiver if great care is not taken. Even then I have experienced this myself previously when using a rubbish 35MHz receiver. The noise is worse at low motor revs as that's when the ESC is working hardest, having to chop the LiPo pack voltage more to a low level to drive the motor slowly.

To my amazement the X8 performed without so much as a murmur for about 3 months over many flights at all speeds, the EF-16 loves to Harrier at high Alpha at low RPM - that is until the Guy wanted it back - grrr!!

Obviously with a relatively small model such as the EF-16 I didn't fly it a long way away as it's easy to lose orientation with such a model so I didn't try it at the limits of reasonable range.

However I doubt if I would put the short antenna version into something like my FVK Silent Dream, I have been know to fly this at more than 2000' (it has an altimeter).
Jan 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau0090_99
3. Although I am not concerned about it personally, I believe there is no built-in failsafe (I might be remembering incorrectly, however).
There is a failsafe - if signal is lost the channels revert to the positions when the receiver was switched on; for example throttle reverts to idle - you do switch on with the throttle at idle don't you ?
Jan 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hardrock Miner
Thanks for the quick replys fellas. It sounds like it may be ok but I may either wait and see or maybe even try the long antenna version. I usually don't get my planes that far away so it may not even matter. All I know is there are 2 other guys at my field that have the same frequency as me and when I want to fly I want to fly not wait. Yes I could change chrystals but that would almost be the cost of this unit by the time I did all my planes.
Jan 24, 2010, 10:49 PM
These receivers only cost about as much as two crystals. I wouldn't even think of changing channels. I have flown my assan at a crowded field with 7 or 8 other models at the same time. Never had a glitch.

The long antenna has no more range than the short antenna. The actual antenna length is the same as the short it is just further away from the receiver via the length of coax wire. It looks longer but most of the length is shielded and therefore it is not getting any signal from the transmitter.

The actual antenna is 1/4 wavelength in either receiver. In the long antenna version it is about six inches from the receiver so it can be routed outside of a carbon fiber fuselage.

When I first got my Assan, I flew my trainer so high I could barely see it and it worked great. I even put my body between the transmitter antenna and the trainer, it worked without any problem or delay.

The only trouble I ever had was when I forgot to put the transmitter antenna in the module and tore up my plane. This was not Assan's fault. You are not supposed to turn on the transmitter without the antenna attached to the module. I just missed it. I don't think I will everdo that again.

Billy
Jan 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have read all 315 pages, plus more on other forums and my own conclusion is that:

a) There is enough field experience with Assan to be confident in both their technical design and their manufactured quality (yes like any product there are occasional bad units but the incidence is low)

b) The X8 product family is continuing to expand which increases the flexibility of your investment in the module

c) The cost of the module and especially Rx is low so experimenting is inexpensive, just buy it and try it yourself
Jan 26, 2010, 12:29 AM

dx6i X8-hack module question?

I want to run the cheaper 2.4 receivers with my dx6i, so far I have searched everywhere and still nothing...I did find where a few people converted a dx7 to work with the asian or spektrum receivers but the dx6i looks a bit different on the inside and I am not sure if it would work or not. My question...has anyone yet, figured out how to make the X8-hack module work with a DX6i?

Thanks
Brian
Jan 26, 2010, 08:39 AM
I enjoy the voices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasper67
I want to run the cheaper 2.4 receivers with my dx6i, so far I have searched everywhere and still nothing...I did find where a few people converted a dx7 to work with the asian or spektrum receivers but the dx6i looks a bit different on the inside and I am not sure if it would work or not. My question...has anyone yet, figured out how to make the X8-hack module work with a DX6i?

Thanks
Brian
Brian, suggest you also post this to the Hack thread and see if you get a bite. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...994433&page=41

I reckon you should be able to do it for a number of reasons:
  1. I understand you can buddy box between different Spektrum/JR radios (even older ones). The protocal for the buddy box signal is PPM - so PPM should be available
  2. The Assan unit has been tested and uses 1V as the tigger for the pulse - ie anything less than 1V it treats as off, and anything over 1 V is treats as on for the PPM wave form - so the actual voltage of the PPM signal doesn't matter, as long as the top of the square wave form is more than 1V - which it should be
So I reckon you'll be right!
Jan 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
I enjoy the voices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasper67

Thanks
Brian
Brian, I did a search on the thread I quote above - it has been looked at - read post 316 on page 22.
Last edited by Lead Wings; Jan 26, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Jan 26, 2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Thanks man, I too will be awaiting the results.
This guy has done more than 900 flights in one year with different models , not a single problem...:

http://members.liwest.at/pertlwieser/modellbau.html

Last edited by WimH; Jan 26, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Jan 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
Lead Wings
Thank you for helping I will read it now!
Brian N
Jan 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
HELP!!!!!!

I have never had this problem before. I just finished switching 11 aircraft and helis over to a JR 9303 from a Hitec Eclipse. No problems until the heli. On channel 2 I get shudder as it returns to center after rapid movement. I did not have this on the Hitec setup. Any ideas? I bought a new servo to replace the one mounted but thought I better test out the new one prior to installing. Sure enough same problem on new servo.

(0 min 51 sec)

Channel 2 on other planes do not do this. Aileron & elevator on other planes do not do this.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply