Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Vicarious, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2007, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Vicarious
One of the usual suspects
Discussion

My Aircraft Bona-fides...

I have loved planes and most other transportation since I was a kid. Played with lots of paper airplanes and balsa kits from the 7-11. In 1971-1973? I got a Testors Fly-em Mustang. I loved just looking at it. They show up on ebay from time to time. I got it to run once, but tried many times. My mom bought it for me because it looked (a little) like her brother's airplane. My uncle was Thomas Mantell .

I had various other Cox gas vehicles, but after that it was all electric. My first electric plane was a Hasbro Air Devil. 5 D cell batteries in a tower attached to a hard plastic plane by two power wires. The plane had a flat electric motor that looked like a slot car motor. It flew around the tower on a pivot arm, and got faster if you pulled the wires in (decreasing the radius). It landed on a 6' cardboard runway. Toys like that should come back again...

My next electric plane was a Mattel SuperStar . It was a red and blue vacuum formed fuselage with styrofoam wings. It was a free flight plane with cams that turned the rudder. It flew well right in front of my house in suburban Louisville, KY.

At 17 I had a good summer job and bought my first RC system - a Cox/Sanwa 4 channel with 4 servos. The first thing I put it in (illicitly) was a Tamiya Lamborghini. My brother bought me a Guillow's DeHavilland Mosquito. I still haven't built it...That was 1981.

Typically, I started spending all my money on women by the time I was 18. The (over $300) radio quit working in 1983. Which was just as well - it was illegal in 1982.

In 2002 I got my first RC plane... An Air Hogs Intruder! Still not hooked yet, I played with it occasionally for the last five years.

This year my co-worker T3chDad started back into RC, and I followed suit. I modded the Air Hog, but it is a squirrel in the sky. I am building the Blu Cub2 as my trainer plane. I hope to add my build to that thread soon.

I still love the Toys (sorry Micro RTF), but I'm in the RC Hobby for good now.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Vicarious; Oct 24, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: img
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:40 AM
Find More Posts by C-MIC
I remember that, the SANWA was once the smallest and most 'cute' radio sets , some of that series are in ORANGE colour, one of the three most famous made in japan , ...
David