Aug 03, 2007, 06:06 AM
FICKLE FLYER
Thread OP
Discussion

XPS Being "Snubbed" by an AMA Event!?!?!?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6172850

"Gentlemen
I would like to bring to your attention a brewing problem regarding the 2.4 Gigahertz Technology.
It’s been brought to my attention that there is a small Manufacturer of these radio equipment by the name of Xtreme Link
That has been selling Modules and receivers for various radio’s as a 3rd party add on which will make your standard transmitter into 2.4 gigahertz.
As of now based on my immediate knowledge, there has been 4 of these devices used at the basin with poor results.
The last one resulted in a lockout crash on Woodley Blvd.
This issue has been forwarded to AMA also and they are looking into it
These radios will be banned at the LA-Jets Summer event. I would like to see them not used at the Basin until
further notice.
This is only for the manufacturer listed above. It is not for Spektrum or the new Futaba or JR.
You will find a draft of different incidents below.
Please forward me your opinion.

All the Best
Jason Pakfar
Valley Flyers President "
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2007, 08:19 AM
Panamanian
This can't be good...
Aug 03, 2007, 08:28 AM
Read through some of that thread, sounds like someone has an agenda to me. Hopefully the AMA will take a little more neutral stance and not let personal biases get in the way. Otherwise I would say its time to lawyer up.
Aug 03, 2007, 08:54 AM
To qoute a friend, "Everyone has an agenda, and most agendas are about money."
Aug 03, 2007, 08:57 AM
I will be trying my XPS system for the first time this weekend. I will use my own experience to make my opinion of the product.

This hobby (like everything else) is filled with rumours and a bunch of men that cry more than women in knitting clubs.
Aug 03, 2007, 08:59 AM
Panamanian
XPS works great for me...

There are so many things that can go wrong with a model reception that to blame XPS without any investigation is not right.
Aug 03, 2007, 09:31 AM

XPS with Futaba + JR Modules

XPS also works great at our field.

Looks like Jim needs to get on to the AMA as banning one system at a field based on 4 x reports is not a scientific way to prevent crashes due to percieved radio issues.

If the idea is to prevent crashes.....then lets see a quick dij into the forums has plenty material to give Spectrum a bad rap as well as FASST.

Also FM has its share of percieved radio failures.....I guess all Radio Systems should be banned at that event..........then one can guarantee No Crashes due to "Radio System failures".

Note : Anyone can launch a plane with a half charged or faulty power supply and blame the radio. This is a very common occurrence .

ciao,

Dubflyer
Aug 03, 2007, 09:47 AM
The system was not banned by the AMA for this event, and the people running this event refuse to respond to our emails. What does that tell you?

The level of spamming going on behind the scenes that you guys don't see is amazing! We must be really ticking off the competition for them to stoop to this level.

This field is very well known for having lockouts on all frequencies. It sits nearby a major airport (FAA ceiling in effect) having a lot of high powered RF transmitters. We have had people on all frequencies report to us since this "ban" that they have crashed their 40MHz, 72MHz, Spektrum, and FASST systems there. These also work there, along with ours.

There is actually only ONE crash in that RCU thread. The other report was from Joe Kelley who admittedly thought he had a problem so he turned off his turbine, and he pulled up his landing gear, and he landed the plane on its belly. That same airframe is still flying today. The other person reported a momentary lockout that resulted in no problem with landing. Those are the facts. I asked Steve Kaluf for the AMA to investigate this field and whether it is safe to fly there due to the number of unexplained crashes that occur there.
Aug 03, 2007, 09:48 AM
Electric since 1990
Hundreds of flights on mine with 5 receivers in 5 different planes and 100 percent perfect. Nothing wrong with it for me. If AMA bans them, well, bye bye AMA. Been a member since 1990 but I won't tolerate this.
Aug 03, 2007, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh101
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6172850

"Gentlemen
I would like to bring to your attention a brewing problem regarding the 2.4 Gigahertz Technology.
It’s been brought to my attention that there is a small Manufacturer of these radio equipment by the name of Xtreme Link
That has been selling Modules and receivers for various radio’s as a 3rd party add on which will make your standard transmitter into 2.4 gigahertz.
As of now based on my immediate knowledge, there has been 4 of these devices used at the basin with poor results.
The last one resulted in a lockout crash on Woodley Blvd.
This issue has been forwarded to AMA also and they are looking into it
These radios will be banned at the LA-Jets Summer event. I would like to see them not used at the Basin until
further notice.
This is only for the manufacturer listed above. It is not for Spektrum or the new Futaba or JR.
You will find a draft of different incidents below.
Please forward me your opinion.

All the Best
Jason Pakfar
Valley Flyers President "
WOW! that seems like a pretty negative email, I am not criticising, but as a club president myself I would never go into a public forum and blast a vendor, or a person for that matter, very poor form. I would suggest that in the future you start with private emails to the vendor, or simply state that xps is not allowed at this fly in.
Aug 03, 2007, 10:09 AM
Inciting Riots
If it is that RF congested, then the AMA should not allow AMA sponsored events at that field! Sound like it is too close for FAA comfort to the airport too, don't think I would fly there if it was me (on anything except maybe my Plantraco stuff with a 10 gram plane).
Aug 03, 2007, 10:16 AM
those are all nice claims, but to me it sounds like the 21st century
Aug 03, 2007, 01:09 PM
No agendas

XPS strange behavior

I believe the simple bottom line is that no radio link is perfect; 2.4ghz is no exception, no panacea.

XPS, quite simply, works for some and not for others. Works in some areas and not others. It is NOT a bulletproof radio link, I don't care WHAT anyone says. Too many experienced modelers have had problems with it. Whether it's the type of radio, geographical location, who knows.

Please go to the video forum and see my short videos of XPS strange behavior.

Dirty pots? Who knows. But if it is that sensitive to a dirty pot how can you depend on it? Not worth the risk for me at this point. Too many crashes.
Last edited by Dustflyer; Aug 03, 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: rewrite
Aug 03, 2007, 01:12 PM
Link the video and I might look at it. Otherwise, probably not.
Aug 03, 2007, 01:18 PM
No agendas

Link video

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you mean by "link the video."

They are very short. All you have to do is go to the RC Groups Video forum and look under "Airplanes-Fuel."

Quick Reply