CR-914 Build Thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Give thought to leaving waterline down a contrasting color - black, grey and some blues and greens tend to blend with water/sky reflections. This makes it much harder to see at a distance, and to know how much the boat is heeling. If the hull sides are dark, think about a white, yellow, etc. underbody.
Of course if you always sail on a small pond, the vision and heel angle may not be an issue.
Dick L. - always on the money thanks for catching that one did not think about that good looking out. Although our local pond is not a huge one, I am sure that some of the ponds at regionals and/or nationals can have some size to them so better prevent now than suffer later May use the white I have for the deck for the underbody.
Thanks again
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2007, 04:49 PM

Sail Servo

Can you all please help me decide between the HS-755MG & HS-765HB for my sail servo, they are priced same so that should be no issue.
Thanks
Aug 20, 2007, 09:52 AM
The standard Servo is the 755MB. If you go to Servocity.com, you can see the torque and speed of all the servos. This servo is fine although it growls a bit more than my liking. You may want to step up a little. However, step up too much and you drain the battery at best or you can detroy the boat at worst. Very strong servos pull so hard it can break the sheet or the boat itself.

Also, as you know, i just patched the keel fillet. I recommend adding fiberglass cloth to the trunk in addition to the fillet. I had a great fillet and the hull still cracked.

Brett
More Cowbell
CR-914 #1376
Aug 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell
The standard Servo is the 755MB. If you go to Servocity.com, you can see the torque and speed of all the servos. This servo is fine although it growls a bit more than my liking. You may want to step up a little. However, step up too much and you drain the battery at best or you can detroy the boat at worst. Very strong servos pull so hard it can break the sheet or the boat itself.
Also, as you know, i just patched the keel fillet. I recommend adding fiberglass cloth to the trunk in addition to the fillet. I had a great fillet and the hull still cracked.
Brett
More Cowbell
CR-914 #1376
Well project has been on hold waiting for supplies but UPS delivered today my order. By the time I read your post the order had been placed for the HS765 and yes I halted construction waiting for the fiberglass cloth to reinforce the keel trunk. After much research I learned that Victorias and Seawinds suffer as well from this malady. Will post some pictures later.

Fair winds
CR-914 #1439
Aug 20, 2007, 04:23 PM

While we wait

Well while we wait for an update on the CR-914 build, here are some pictures I ran accross on the other site. Oh and you can find 100 more of these pictures at
http://www.ptnauticmodel.net/fotos/t...lbum=75&page=1
May 05, 2009, 07:54 AM

2 of these available on Ebay

I don't want to aggravate anyone, but I have a friend who is selling two of these kits as one lot on ebay today. I thought if anyone was looking for one, they might subscribe to this thread.

There are a few pictures on the listing, ask any questions via the ebay ask a seller, I am a foamy airplane person so I know nothing.

If this is not appropriate here, please just let me know and I will remove it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130303272350
Jul 30, 2014, 11:31 PM

Reviving this build

My apologies for leaving this thread hanging in limbo. With 2 relocations, and going from a team of 12 to only 3 at work there is little to no time for fun stuff. But I will dig up the pictures as time permits and try to post orderly as possible, I may have to recreate some as I go.
I would really like to see an active thread on the CR914 since it is an awesome well sized boat. With so many owners out there I wonder why we don't have an official thread going on.

Fair winds
CR-914 #1439
Last edited by habutti; Jul 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added CR914 sail info
Jul 31, 2014, 07:52 AM
Hi guys,

Curious as to why your adding fiberglass cloth to the keel fillet?

Have built and restored a number of these boats and have never used cloth just the thickened epoxy as provided in the original build instructions.

SJ

CR914 #3, #19.#661,#765
Jul 31, 2014, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Hi guys,
Curious as to why your adding fiberglass cloth to the keel fillet?
Have built and restored a number of these boats and have never used cloth just the thickened epoxy as provided in the original build instructions.
SJ
CR914 #3, #19.#661,#765
They've been some reports of cracks even with the filet, so a little extra insurance I supposed.

Fair winds
CR914 #1439
Jul 31, 2014, 09:26 AM
If you sand the area around the keel trunk well, and don't make your epoxy fillet mix too dry, all will be well. Remove the keel for transport and don't store the boat with the keel in, you should have no issues.

I had a boat in the shop that the owner had some cracking and he elected to epoxy the keel into the boat. Problem was that his mix was too thick and he filled the keel trunk with it and tried to push the keel up into it. The epoxy had no place to go and he could not push the fin in much more than an 1/8". He left it to cure. The keel trunk cracked so badly that you could see daylight through it. Since he did not take the time to sand anything, I was able to undo what he had done, repair the keel trunk, new epoxy fillet and all was well again.

The point is, if the keel trunk is cracking after the fillet was done, then the fillet has separated from the plastic. It needs to be taken out and redone. Adding fiberglass cloth will not offer anything but extra weight.

SJ
Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
The point is, if the keel trunk is cracking after the fillet was done, then the fillet has separated from the plastic. It needs to be taken out and redone. Adding fiberglass cloth will not offer anything but extra weight.
SJ
Words of wisdom SJ thanks for sharing. I won't promise I'll remove the cloth from that hull don't even know how to start, but the information is there for future builds.

Fair winds
CR914 - #1439
Jul 31, 2014, 07:30 PM
SJ, could you post pictures of the filet in your boat for others to see how it is done?

Fair winds
CR914 - #1439
Aug 03, 2014, 11:59 AM
Sure. Two tics...
Aug 03, 2014, 11:36 PM
Here is the photo I have of 19's keel fillet. It made of West epoxy and microballons instead of what comes in the kit. Hard to see here because I need to take the radio board out to get a better shot. Should be able to do it next week sometime.

SJ

Quick Reply