CR-914 Build Thread - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 09, 2007, 12:03 PM
Phil -

originally, the FUSION paint was reported to stay "soft" and not harden like most enamels. Is this true - or have they fixed it?

Generally I use the automotive types of paints - which allow some polishing and buffing after they get hard. I haven't tried the FUSION stuff for fear I would end up with a lot of work building a boat and but having a "soft" finish. Soft being relative of course.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2007, 04:16 PM
Norman2

Fusion Spray Paint

Do not use Fusion on your CR-914. The automotive paints are fine. Fusion does
not adhere well to ABS and does not harden hard enough.
Regards
Norman2
Aug 09, 2007, 04:29 PM
Norman2

Fusion Paint

I am attaching some photos of one of my Victorias which was painted with
Automotive Spray Paint in Silver.(Touch up spray for Mercedes Benz ). No
problems with runs and extra hardness for polishing and buffing.
Aug 09, 2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks a ton for the heads up. I can't say if that issue has been resolved with the fusion paint maybe Phil can chime in on that. Looking over the paints that I have I notice they are the Rust-Oleum brand, any thoughts on them?
Aug 09, 2007, 08:45 PM
For general household projects, that particular brand seems to be awfully slow drying (in my experience)

Actually for basic colors, the $ 0.99 cans of Wal-Mart "cheap" paint do very well - but stop and keep shaking the can during painting. Also be sure to clear the nozzle by inverting can when done. Near the end of the can it has a tendency to "spatter" - but the can is pretty much empty by that time.

I still like auto paints and for special airbrush stuff, the guys locally here in town will provide me with baby food jars of various colors. Makes it nice not having to buy a gallon of "candy" colors when you only need two airbrush fills.
Aug 09, 2007, 09:01 PM
Norman2

Paint for CR-914

Like Dick L. said Rust Oleum takes for ever to dry. Rather go with Regular
Krylon. You can always exchange them and then tell your wife. She will
understand.
Aug 10, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hello all, here is the latest - so far Iíve applied one coat of primer to the hull at this point sanding will begin once again with the only difference that from here on all sanding is WET. I intend to apply 2 coats of primer. I will begin sanding wet with grit 320 working my way up to grit 1200. Below are some pictures of the primed hull.
Aug 11, 2007, 10:58 AM

Fusion paint??

Hi Chas,
My CR is painted with Krylon fusion paint. The boat has been sailed quite a bit (at least twice a week) over the last year and still looks good. I put a coat of car wax on it about once a month and even though the wax has a cleaner in it I have not seen any thin spots on the paint. It seems to stand up to the inevitable bumper boat activity of racing just fine. I applied several coats of paint and wet sanded with 500 grit between coats. I know we digress a bit from your build thread now but just wanted to add my experience with fusion. I'm sure that whatever paint you use will having you feeling proud of your boat. Looks great so far keep up the good work.
You probably have already been to this area of the CR website, but in case you havent go here for more specifics on construction.
http://www.cr914class.org/construction.php
Pay special attention to the sections on boom sliders, jib boom padeye and waterproofing electronics and the reciever.
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Last edited by philadams; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Aug 12, 2007, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philadams
Hi Chas,
My CR is painted with Krylon fusion paint. The boat has been sailed quite a bit (at least twice a week) over the last year and still looks good. I put a coat of car wax on it about once a month and even though the wax has a cleaner in it I have not seen any thin spots on the paint. It seems to stand up to the inevitable bumper boat activity of racing just fine. I applied several coats of paint and wet sanded with 500 grit between coats. I know we digress a bit from your build thread now but just wanted to add my experience with fusion. I'm sure that whatever paint you use will having you feeling proud of your boat. Looks great so far keep up the good work.
You probably have already been to this area of the CR website, but in case you havent go here for more specifics on construction.
http://www.cr914class.org/construction.php
Pay special attention to the sections on boom sliders, jib boom padeye and waterproofing electronics and the reciever.
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Phil, thanks again for the input. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge regarding the fusion paints, other builders experiences are great. I added the construction link to my favorites so when the time comes I can access it. Do you have any pics of your CR-914 you can share with us?

CR 1439
Aug 13, 2007, 08:48 AM

photos

Hi Chas,
Here are a couple of photos of "Makani", one in repose before launch and the other in action at the CR Nationals last year in San Diego.
Phil
Aug 13, 2007, 11:29 AM
Phil, very nice pictures (omg I luv that fishing boat) here is a question for you, the stripe and name did you out source them or did you do those yourself, and are they vinyl?
Tks
Aug 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
After some looking on the internet, I used the outfit at this site for the name:
www.custom-vinyl-lettering.net
For the stripe I used a 1/4" art tape. The name was a little tricky to apply but I'm happy with the results and both have lasted well. What color is your boat going to be? Where do you live?
Phil
Aug 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
You can also get sheet vinyl and print your own letters/numbers with a ink jet printer like I did the numbers for my boat. I printed the water slide decals on the hull too.

http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20wate...m%20media.html

http://decalpaper.com/inkjet.html

Capt. Slick
Aug 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
Well I went to my local sign company the other day to get the boat stripes and name, wish I had asked for this information sooner I'm planning to paint the boat metalic black or platinum grey.
Phil, I'm located in Maryland
Aug 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by habutti
( I'm planning to paint the boat metalic black or platinum grey.
Give thought to leaving waterline down a contrasting color - black, grey and some blues and greens tend to blend with water/sky reflections. This makes it much harder to see at a distance, and to know how much the boat is heeling. If the hull sides are dark, think about a white, yellow, etc. underbody.

Of course if you always sail on a small pond, the vision and heel angle may not be an issue.

Quick Reply