CR-914 Build Thread - RC Groups
Aug 02, 2007, 08:29 PM
Build Log

CR-914 Build Thread

CUP RACER 914mm
CR-914

Ok, I figured I should share the build of my CR-914 with the forum for various reasons and here are just a few:
1. It’s always good to give back when you have received so much; in my case lots of knowledge from all of you, as well as some great laughs and some OMG!
2. Continue the transfer of knowledge, in the sense that as I build, feel free to chime in with your “what has worked for me…” and as me, they are always new comers who can also learn.
3. And last but not least maybe get more of you interested in this great one design class.
I must warn you that this will be a slow build since I only get burst of time here and there, but never the less a build thread it will be
Here are some of the many links of interest:
http://www.cr914class.org the class website – you don’t want to miss it.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cr914class very active CR-914 group with tons of info and support.
http://www.rcyachts.com The Authorized US distributor.
https://www.modelyacht.org and of course the American Model Yachting Association aka AMYA.
First set of pictures:
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2007, 10:01 PM
Can't wait to see this...Thanks!

Bill
Aug 03, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hi there Captbill, do you have a CR-914? feel free to post your suggestions comments.
Aug 03, 2007, 07:31 AM
One of the things we tend to overlook in the excitement of receiving our new model is the box it came in. This box is your perfect travelling companion (or at least for the CR-914). Since everything (and I do mean everything except the paint and water to sail) came in that one box, if you rig your boat in a way that the rig can be removable, you can just repack your boat in it (Tx and all) and hit the road to the nationals or a regatta anywhere in the country/world. So reinforce your box with packing tape or fiber tape or even lay a thin layer of fiberglass on it and save it; it comes in very handy. If for some reason the box is no longer around or able to perform this task you may have to buy a tote box or make one yourself – check this link http://www.rcyachts.com/Travelshippingbox.htm
Great sailing to all of you skippers
Aug 03, 2007, 08:20 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
I look forward to this build up too. I almost got one of these until I got my better half interested in boats. I needed to get her one too, so I got 2 Nirvannas for the price of one CR-914...the next ones will be bigger. I have to keep her into this no matter what. It makes buying boat stuff a lot easier.

Capt. Slick
Aug 05, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Chas,
Followed you here from the CR website. I have used a product borrowed from tying fishing flies called "head cement" to stregthen and keep knots from unraveling rather than CA. It is easier to work with and the shelf life is much longer. Any flyfishing or sporting goods store that carries fly tying supplies will have some.
Other advice is of course take your time and read the directions 3 times, that's how long it took me to fully grasp them.
good luck,
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Aug 05, 2007, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
I look forward to this build up too. I almost got one of these until I got my better half interested in boats. I needed to get her one too, so I got 2 Nirvannas for the price of one CR-914...the next ones will be bigger. I have to keep her into this no matter what. It makes buying boat stuff a lot easier.
Capt. Slick
Capt. Slick - too bad you did not get one of these gems. But for sport sailing I understand that sometimes its better to go with a least expensive boat now if you want to race that is a different story. Hope you get around to owning one

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadams
Hi Chas followed you here from the CR website. I have used a product borrowed from tying fishing flies called "head cement" to strengthen and keep knots from unraveling rather than CA. It is easier to work with and the shelf life is much longer. Any fly-fishing or sporting goods store that carries fly tying supplies will have some.
Other advice is of course taking your time and read the directions 3 times, that's how long it took me to fully grasp them.
Good luck,
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Phil - Thank you very much for your tips very much appreciated. I've read and re-read the instructions and I continue to do so every time I get a chance. Keep the tips coming.
Aug 05, 2007, 05:44 PM
Well little progress today - well not really it has been a lot of sanding the thing is that on the pictures it all looks the same. I've been sanding all weekend long, started with grit 100 and I'm just to grit 220 and still have to work all the way to grit 1200 (from grit 320 and above it will be wet sanding) hey but the end result is what matters a nice beautiful smooth finish: D)
I started by sanding the entire hull with dry sand paper grit 100. When sanding it is recommended that you use a hard sanding block and not your hand. The sanding block provides constant contact with the surface of the sanding area. Once I was done with that I removed all the dust from the model and finally wiped it down with alcohol. Now I inspected the hull for any abnormalities that remained after the sanding, and fill in the gaps with body filler. Once the filler was dry, I proceeded to sand the area again and fair it out. You can apply the filler with a credit card or any flexible plastic; while applying it, you want to press down on it hard against the surface to ensure it reaches as deep as possible in the gaps.
Until next - Smooth sailing
Aug 05, 2007, 08:24 PM
You have an interesting yacht in your hands. Sails very nice. I acquired one from a guy that won it, but never used it - Wasn't into R/C. All assembled, still in original shipping crate. One thing that was missed, though, that I want to warn you about is the reinforcement of the "keel trunk fillet." This procedure is on the RCyachts.com builders' page, and is ESSENTIAL if you do not want hull cracks after short use. I was unaware of this website when I got my 914 and ended up with a leaking hull after sailing it about 3 times. Had to try to reinforce/patch the fillet in the fully assembled yacht - Not easy, and not as neat as it could have been. Otherwise, it is a nice boat and a good sailor that I am sure you will enjoy!
Aug 06, 2007, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3
You have an interesting yacht in your hands. Sails very nice. I acquired one from a guy that won it, but never used it - Wasn't into R/C. All assembled, still in original shipping crate. One thing that was missed, though, that I want to warn you about is the reinforcement of the "keel trunk fillet." This procedure is on the RCyachts.com builders' page, and is ESSENTIAL if you do not want hull cracks after short use. I was unaware of this website when I got my 914 and ended up with a leaking hull after sailing it about 3 times. Had to try to reinforce/patch the fillet in the fully assembled yacht - Not easy, and not as neat as it could have been. Otherwise, it is a nice boat and a good sailor that I am sure you will enjoy!
Beneteau3 - thank you for your comments and tips. I would like to see some pictures of your CR-914. Regarding the keel trunk fillet I intend to do that once I'm done with all the sanding (before priming/painting). The distributor's site suggest that several steps be taken when ready for the fillet (see http://www.rcyachts.com/Build/keelfillet.htm). So I am working my way to that.
Aug 06, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cool. You are fortunate to have discovered, or have been made aware of the manufacturer's website before you built your boat. It is a great site. Apparently, whoever built my boat was unaware of the problem, and I didn't know about it either. Don't have any pictures now, but maybe soon. Happy building!
Aug 07, 2007, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3
Cool. You are fortunate to have discovered, or have been made aware of the manufacturer's website before you built your boat. It is a great site. Apparently, whoever built my boat was unaware of the problem, and I didn't know about it either. Don't have any pictures now, but maybe soon. Happy building!
Beneteau3, I actually found a club before deciding for a boat (learned this on the AMYA web site). I was looking at the CR-914 and the Seawind, but while researching I learned that Seawinds are few and far between in my area (at least registered Seawinds) and the few that are around most are owned by the same guy. Another thing was proximity, I refuse to drive all over creation to sail since time is very limited so, the pond had to be close. What tilted the scale for the CR-914 was the fact that many of the clubs that met the requirements raced CR-914 so that was easy to decide (huge availability of knowledge/support) and the dealer is down the road as well . After that it was to join the class, pay my dues ask tons of questions and start reading tons of archived articles, post, etc; search the web, the forums and of course watch the Youtube videos. After all of that acquire the boat, read the instructions, read the instructions, read the instructions, and continue to read them, start building and keep reading the instructions, and the great inputs that I get along the way like on this forum. By the way what a great community we have here on these forums!
Here are some good videos from the manufacturer - sorry can't help with the translation, but it is really not needed.
Fair winds

CR914_1 (10 min 0 sec)

CR914_2 (8 min 58 sec)
Last edited by habutti; Aug 07, 2007 at 06:18 AM.
Aug 07, 2007, 08:12 PM
Not much to report today. Hull is sanded (grit 220) and ready for first hand of primer; conditions today were not ideal for painting - extremely hot and very humid, so priming is on hold until further notice from the weather man . I will start putting together the dry dock and work on the internals if conditions do not improve.
Until then happy sailing
Aug 07, 2007, 08:49 PM

Paint

Hi again Chas,
The sailors in my club the Laguna Lake Model Yacht Club have had good sucess using Kyrlon Fusion paint it requires no primer and is formulated specificaly for plastic.
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Aug 09, 2007, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philadams
Hi again Chas,
The sailors in my club the Laguna Lake Model Yacht Club have had good sucess using Kyrlon Fusion paint it requires no primer and is formulated specificaly for plastic.
Phil CR 1346 "Makani"
Phil, thanks for that pointer, the problem is that the boss (wife) already purchased the paints for me and I'd hate to take them back and have a lost of interest on her behalf (need that interest there for upgrades ) I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again

Quick Reply