Jun 23, 2008, 03:44 PM
Still Screamin'!
We had a blast flying these the other day when he took the pics of it with Sparky's canopy kit! He got some sweet HD video too When will you be able to put that up Jon?

BTW,
I LOVE fast jets This one is fast AND a good flyer! Pretty reare to get a small plane the handles as pure as this one does No bad habits. Just stick with the reccomended control throws. to much is a VERY bad thing with this one! It doesn't need much.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks Jon - I'll give 'em a try and report back!

Bob - your comment on the speed of this jet certainly resonates with me. My wobbly knees find this bird to be plenty fast on 3S (Wicked Extreme/Alpha 5-blade combo). I can only imagine what you guys are experiencing with 4S!

Tom
Jun 23, 2008, 07:01 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson
My wobbly knees find this bird to be plenty fast on 3S (Wicked Extreme/Alpha 5-blade combo). I can only imagine what you guys are experiencing with 4S!
Tom
Its all great fun at any speed I few guys at our field just grabbed the L-39 kits as well so we will have squadron soon

Don
Jun 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
Still Screamin'!
Thomas,
She's as smooth as glass at higher speeds. I was flying mine Sunday in windy conditions and on the downwind runs it was hitting 130 for sure But it is soo smooth and solid I had no worries about it at all. Especially since I had already done the blenderm on the hinges mods

Are you coming to Vegas this year? Be nice to see you again. Maybe we can trade that motor out of your L-39 J/K Don!
Jun 23, 2008, 07:06 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Maybe we can trade that motor out of your L-39 J/K Don!
Only if he wants to slow it down

Don
Jun 23, 2008, 09:00 PM
Still Screamin'!
You mean only if he wants to fly longer
Jun 24, 2008, 12:37 AM
Plane Crazy!!!
Does anyone have a pic of the Alfa Fan Unit seated in this one?

Might want to do a direct drop in of my Alfa Fan Housing, LSJS and 5-blade impeller.

I'd be a little nervous on hogging out the foam (weakening the body) and keeping the fan housing thrust line straight...

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words
Jun 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
There are two ways to do it Kilo, neither which is very hard.

Option A involves a soldering iron, which is all Bob had in his Hotel room!

Option B involves a Dremel and a sanding drum.

Either option involves slowly removing material until the Alfa slips in. It is really not critical but of course, if you remove TOO much, it is a litttle tough to put it back?!

I can try to get some photos tomorrow for you.
Jun 24, 2008, 01:14 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
And for those asking for a smaller file, here is a youtube version. The format is a little goofy due to the down conversion from HD.

Great Planes L-39 Lo (2 min 20 sec)
Jun 24, 2008, 01:37 AM
Suspended Account
Hey Jon long time no talk!! Great review dude...as always!! You guys get those fury's up yet??? I finished mine today.
Is there even a big difference between My lsjs/haoye 4s setup and you guys and the alpha 5/lsjs 4s? I kind of expect a tad more speed, but who knows. Its interseting to be able to see them both fly side by side with different setups.
Jun 24, 2008, 04:48 AM
guillows basher!!

l-39

great review!i did fly mine stock but upgraded to 4s after 2 flights,its nice when you run into a airframe that will accept a wide envelope of setups,i'm now at 25oz. and it flys like its on rails! and lands really nice not to mention the hand launch is a non-event, my setup is a xf-fan with exit duct,gws blue motor(4600kv),electric power 4s2200 and venom 36a esc,i'm putting out a average of about 400watts,more at start and less after about 2min(470-380) my funnest thing to do is get out real high and far and pour the coals on in a dive coming at me and go into a rolling vertical till all most outa sight the only thing i did'nt like was the paint scheme,allmost lost it in the sky with the camo,as you can see i do'nt have that problem anymore
Jun 24, 2008, 09:40 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Cool paint job! I wondered how long until somebody painted there's up. How was it...painting over the Aerocell? Did you use rattle cans or an airbrush?
Jun 24, 2008, 10:26 AM
Plane Crazy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
There are two ways to do it Kilo, neither which is very hard.

Option A involves a soldering iron, which is all Bob had in his Hotel room!

Option B involves a Dremel and a sanding drum.

Either option involves slowly removing material until the Alfa slips in. It is really not critical but of course, if you remove TOO much, it is a litttle tough to put it back?!

I can try to get some photos tomorrow for you.
Thanks...

Your reveiw definately put this bird on my "buy next" list.
Jun 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hey Bob - I'd love to catch up with you and the crowd again! Just can't commit significantly in advance of the event. Good to hear the stock airframe is up to anything we might run in it.

I have moved my CG back to the panel lines as shown attached. Does anyone have experience flying it further back? I like it here more than the suggested location, especially during the flare/landing.

Also, I can report that there is no problem flying with all the ordinance on a 400 watt system. I was concerned that if I dropped something in the tall grass I was flying over I'd never find it again! Plus I wondered if an aggressive launch would perhaps knock everything off of one side, and the impact that might have on flight. Not to worry, it flies noticeably slower and the glide is shortened when landing, but that's about it. Now, I can't speak for those of you flying 500 watt setups!!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Thomas ... Are you coming to Vegas this year? Be nice to see you again. Maybe we can trade that motor out of your L-39 J/K Don!
Jun 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
This one didn't get to go on vacation to the lake, eh Thomas?

I have not been checking my CG that closely but I have had several different 4S packs in mine, of varying weights, and it seems pretty forgiving on the location of CG I would say.

It wouid be swell to see you again if you can make. Vegas. I am planning on being there

Quick Reply