http://teamtracon.netfirms.com/aircr...s.php?album=24

All the best,

Sam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Scratch Builder
Sam,

thank you. How do you access the battery?

Best Alexander
Old May 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Tracon
Team Tracon!
I remove the wing to get to the battery...

It's the only way for me...I'm running a 6s 5000 thunder power lipo....

Sam
Old May 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
Scratch Builder
Another question: the hinges do not look inspiring confidence. Did you use them or did you get others?

I also just looked at the main landing gear. Aren't there any predrilled holes? I didn't expect drilling them myself. It looks not so easy to dirll everything and keep it straight.

Thanks

Best Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; May 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Tracon
Team Tracon!
yes I used the stock hinges...

My landing gear was pre drilled...

That seems kinda odd ???

Sam
Old May 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Willmsy
I am the BBQ Ninja
I don't think my landing gear was drilled, but I don't really recall. I do know that I had to do a bit of drilling on the kit.

Matt
Old May 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by lempert
The Hinges are lousy. It is recommended to change them.
I would also suggest to enforce the area in the firewall where the front wheel is attached to the fuselage.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:58 AM
Scratch Builder
Thank you,

since Sam used the hinges I used them as well (lemperts comment came when the glue just cured ). I took a close look at it and since they use quite few of them I decided not to wait and glued the ailerond and the flaps with the stock hinges.

Regarding the nose wheel: can anyone tell me the weight of the robart strut? I'm wondering to get one. But I also consider the cheaper solution of buying one that comes with a spring like this one from Graupner:

Regarding the propeller I go for a Varioprop 13.9" three bladed prop with variable pitch. I already use them for smaller models and they are just great. Maybe I shorten the blades a little.

Best Alexander
Old May 19, 2008, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by BrumBob
Alexander - I've put a Radio Active 8swg sprung nose-leg in mine, very similar to the one in your picture. So far it's coped with our none-to-smooth field - the stock leg folded taxying out! As a bonus the 8swg unit fitted straight in the original mountings .
Mine is i/c powered, SC FS65A, an oldie, but once airborne it copes ok. AUW is 3 1/2kg with 700gm of lead on the engine bearers.
As for the CMP hinges - I thought the material too brittle to trust so I replaced mine with Robart hinge points.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Scratch Builder
Hi,

I bought the Graupner nose leg but it does not fit too well since the spring is too far up. But I will let the spring direct to the front and put a piece of plywood between the mounts and the firewall for the clearence.

Yesterday I mounted the wing to the fuselage. It doesn't fit very well so I had to sand one mm or so from the fuse (at the aft end oft the wing).

Also a lot of holes had to be drilled in the wing parts for the aluminium connectors. I glued the wing.

All in all there are several issues with this kit but regarding the price this is OK. Nothing a model builder can't deal with.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
I forgot to mention that - the Radio Active one was too long initially, but I put a dog-leg into the length below the spring emulating a trailing link setup.
Sorry, I don't have a photo, but it involved putting something like a 110 degree backwards bend in the leg about 1 1/4 " up from the axle, then bending the leg forward from just below the sping coils to put the axle back on the vertical line of the mounting. This probably adds quite a bit o the springing, come to think of it

Bob
Old May 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
Scratch Builder
Thank you Bob. Would you be so kind to take a picture if possible? I'm afraid I didn't really got what you meant.

Best
Alexander
Old May 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'll tryAlexander - think of an L in the bottom half of the noseleg, bent forwards so that the wheel is under the pivot point.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
Here you go Alexander - it's more like a 90 degree bend, whatever it takes to get the job done
Old May 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Scratch Builder
Thanks Bob! Now I see.

Another question: what kind of glue did you use for the windows. The manual suggests "silicone". I don't know what kind of silicone since I didn't use it so far.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Best Alexander