Apr 06, 2008, 08:22 PM
Respect mah Authoritay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
Upon landing, I let out a loud BOO-YAH.

The cold weather. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather.

I think that very cold weather is a great time to maiden a plane. Aside form no one being in the park, frozen fingers could eliminate the need for exponential or dual rates, as they won't move very fast or far.

Gary
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2008, 10:10 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Now that I have my fancy new CellPro 4S LiPo charger (which will also charge A123's), I am going to upgrade to a LiPo or A123. I don't have a good NiMH charger and I really doing like plugging in the AC adapter directly to the battery and waiting for "the battery to feel very warm." I might as well leverage my current investment.

That connector on the stock battery, that is called a Deans Connector?
Apr 06, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
The large one is a "Ultra Deans".
Apr 07, 2008, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
Today looks to be my WD4 maiden flight! Woo hoo!

I will make sure to post a story of either doom and/or glory.
I guess that makes two of us. Yesterday I took my WD4 for it's maiden. It was also my first R/C flight ever, after training on a sim over the winter.

My maiden was nothing very fancy, thank you. But I managed to take off, fly around a bit, and land well enought to keep it in one piece. And take off again, do some loops and a couple of rolls. Not a lot of air time; ten or fifteen minutes from my two NiMH packs (it was pretty breezy) and I was done. But yesterday I flew, and I'd have to say the WD4 turned out to be a pretty fair trainer.

So--my thanks to the online community here from whom I learned enough to pick a decent plane, prep it right, and avoid hititng the ground.

Thanks to all the WD4 thread contributors. You helped a newbie succeed.
Apr 07, 2008, 08:49 PM
Crash Test Pilot

Which battery?

Okay, I am looking at my Tower Hobbies catalog and I am looking over the 11.1 3S lipo's from Great Planes, the Electrifly series. They have a ultra deans connector on them already, which is handy for me.

The web site does not list dimensions or weights. I don't want to mess up the CG too much. And I just found out my gram scale is dead, so I don't even know how much my stock NiMH battery weighs.

Any of you'se able to help me find one that comes close in weight and dimensions?
Apr 07, 2008, 09:39 PM
I am the robot of pop...
i really think this will be my next plane.... im very excited about a 4ch....

ive seen it at bananna hobby, but where else can i find one of these?
Apr 07, 2008, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Here's the Wing Dragon 4, the 4 channel aileron version: http://hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm
Apr 08, 2008, 09:45 AM
Caeman I found my stock battery was just over 5 OZ which is about the equivelent to a 1800 milliamp (depending on battry) 3c lipo, I am running a 1000 milliamp and I have to add quite a bit of weight to the nose to balence.
Apr 08, 2008, 09:51 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Thank you, Z.
Apr 08, 2008, 11:02 AM
Respect mah Authoritay!
I also had to tape 4 fender washers to the front of my 3 cell 1750 MAH lipo to get the COG at the spar. I have an outrunner. It balances dead on with my 8 cell NiMH packs, which weigh 6.7 oz. In fact, it is pretty darn close with my 7 cell NiMH pack. (I don't have it with me to measure the weight, but I think it is right around 5 oz.)

You also have to look at the fact that the NiMH packs are generally in bricks, and are shorter than many Lipo's. This effectively moves more of the weight forward in the nose, and allows for less pack weight to achieve balance. So, while a lipo may be the same weight as a NiMh brick, the COG may still be farther back due to the length of the Lipo.

I would guess that if you keep the battery weight in the 5-6 oz range, you should be pretty close. I haven't tested all scenarios, but I don't think the BeginAir is super sensitive to slight variations in COG. YMMV

Regards,

Gary
Last edited by teamgs; Apr 08, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Apr 08, 2008, 11:20 AM
Ok, after 33 crashes, I decided it was time to retire the dragon 4. I used carbon spars in the wings, and also in the tail section. For power: a kms brushless 31/12 with tower pro 18a speed controller and a 7x6 prop. I used a firewall made of ply on BOTH sides of the plastic firewall, and with 2500mah 25c 3 cell batteries, I was drawing 12amps. I wish I had taken videos of this plane flying, because I assure you, it was capable of 70% of the 3D that my colleagues fly at the field. I did manage to get a video from inside the cabin, using my handy sony camera:

The video is a bit boring, but I had an expensive camera onboard held by rubber bands, and a 2500mah 3 cell battery on board!

There are pictures of the firewall setup in my motor/prop/esc-combo sale thread here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75#post9521110

I think with this gear, I could have gone with a more aggressive prop!
I think this combo could have handles
Apr 08, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
The video wasn't boring at all. I liked seeing the other planes flying around, too.

Bill
Apr 08, 2008, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgs
but I don't think the BeginAir is super sensitive to slight variations in COG. YMMV
So I flew my wing dragon with 1 of three different battery sizes: 1800 3s, 2200 3s and 2500 3s. I never moved anything or paid any attention to the COG. In hindsight, the smaller packs were not heavy enough, so the plane would always be nosing up... that's when I practice silly acrobatics. The heavier pack was for more realistic flight. At the end of the day, it flies very well with a tremendous amount of variation regarding the COG> I wish I had taken photos of my WD4 for this thread. The wings, were covered in masking tape, epoxy, and in some places fiberglass. Although I have outgrown this plane, I may pick up another just to take out with newbies and help them get their wings, and just to tool around in the sky... what some of you may not realize, is that you should take EVERY liberty to learn on this thing. I have buried it in the ground from sufficiently high up to DESTROY hs-81 servos (gears were trashed) and hs-61 servos (again gears). $6 in servo gears, some ca, and it was back to flying the WD4... most robust plane I have EVER seen
May 05, 2008, 08:06 PM
Crash Test Pilot
I am enjoying my flight time with the WD4. It is proving quite stable and idiot proof. I have the servo wires mounted on the highest holes, so the surfaces aren't being thrown as far, but the WD4 is proving to be quite agile. I have now completed 7 flights with it. I will probably wait until flight 15 to move the servo connections to the middle.

Due to two rough landings, I have had to tape/glue up the wing. I couldn't find a chunk of foam missing from a prop bite, so I cut the other side to match.
May 05, 2008, 08:54 PM
"On the Wing"

Wing Dragon's 2nd Life

I recently acquired a Wing Dragon after my brother-in-law unexpectedly passed away last year. He had retired the plane and stripped it of everything but the elevator and rudder servos.

I decided to revive it. Here's a picture taken after the re-maiden.

Here's what I did to get it in it's current state.

Sanded and re-painted yellow the Begin-Air red aileron wing.
Bought and installed a Fly Zone SkyFly motor and prop.
Bought and installed main & tail landing gear.
Bought a Hobby Zone 8.4v, 1000mah NIMH battery.
Made a plywood canopy cover.
Installed a Berg RX and CC Pixie esc.

Maiden flight was Sunday 05/04/08. At 41"ws, this was the biggest plane I have flown to date, and my first aileron flight ( thank God and my brother-in-law for Real Flight G2! ). I had no problems with the flight. It's a great flying plane. I'll be late for work tomorrow A.M. since the winds will be about 3 mph.

Bill, Thanks for all the work you did putting this thread together, and thanks to everyone whose info is linked here. It was a great help to me.
Last edited by paulo810; May 06, 2008 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply