Thread OP
Discussion

E-Sky Nemo EPP Aerobatic Trainer

Any body know anything about these?
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...4&pid=B2412535
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2007, 11:00 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
I just saw that too. $99.00 for and RTF, EPP. 4ch trainer. I may just be a guinea pig and pick one up.

EDIT: Okay I am the guinea pig. Just order one. I need a 4ch trainer and this looks like it will fit the bill. More so since I really only have small areas to fly in. I figure even it the plane sucks I will have a decent 72mhz radio, 6 ch reciever, 3 servos, 370 motor and a battery. That's gotta be worth more than $99.00 alone.
Last edited by Steve_A_Reno; Aug 02, 2007 at 11:23 PM.
Aug 03, 2007, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Fed x should drop mine off Saturday. I'll let you know how it looks.
Aug 03, 2007, 11:20 AM
Think I'm going to ditch those decals and try some paint. Maybe a monocoupe paint scheme would look cool on these. Also wonder if the wing could use some tape or carbon rod for extra strength but with the stock motor this s may not be an issue. I have a feeling if this is a stable flyer that is crash resistant folks will want to increase the power.

Timbo: Looks like mine is scheduled for delivery on Saturday too. We need to compare notes.
Last edited by Steve_A_Reno; Aug 03, 2007 at 03:05 PM.
Aug 04, 2007, 04:38 PM
Got mine today and put it together. About 4 hours - Not really an rtf. Instructions are pretty bad. Some of the parts are also of poor quality. The control horns did not mount flush and so I needed to trim down the post where the screw together. The pins in control rod connectors are VERY weak. I broke 2 of them. There are no extras. Some servo extender would be a good idea as the wires barely reach. Especially the ESC. The battery lead only extends about 1/2 inch into the battery compartment so it is a a bit tight to connect.

Wings and fuse are EPP. Rudder and elevator are a rigid foam. Foam cowm is held on by magnets. Rear tail wheel is a nice touch. May be a good idea to glue in the foward gear although this is not indicated in the instructions.

I was going to paint it but those corny decals are painted on to the elevator and rudder - not decals at all. Can't say I like the curb appeal of this model but if it flies stable I will be happy.

Radio is very nice. All reversing and mixing easily switchable. ESC and reciever also seem very good. I believe it is a 20amp max esc.

I would not recommend this as a first model. It is a build with radio and electronics included, not an RTF. Instructions are very incomplete and if you don't know what you're doing you will get stuck. I have a few pieces left over. A small brass tube about 1/4" long.

Any ideas Jimbo. How did you make out?
Aug 04, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
OK, I just got done putting mine together. It took me about 2.5 hours but I am sure that someone with more experience could do it much faster. It was missing a few screws and the plastic part to hold the landing gear in place. The instructions were a bit vague but I managed fine.

I was thinking I would ditch the decals too but my daughters liked them so they stayed. I don't think the wing will need anything it seems plenty strong.

I am just getting into this hobby and have only flown 3 channel park flyer's, this will be my first plane with ailerons so that toughness part will get a good testing.

I have parts left over too, the brass tube just like yours and a few others.

I am going to try to get to the air field tomorrow, I'll let you know how it does.
Last edited by timbo66; Aug 04, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Aug 04, 2007, 05:43 PM
Good luck timbo. I might bring for a test flight this evening.

I think it took me 4 hours because I needed to fix things and improvise as I went and digging up spare parts to complete. Not thrilled with the hinged ailerons very hard to get the surfaces equal. Seems powerfull enough though. Only the one battery too, I have no other 9.6 volt nimh. I think a 3s 1350 lipo would be a good upgrade. And again the radio is very nice for an rtf include.

I'm new to ailerons too. So I hope this plane is a stable as it looked in the videos
Aug 04, 2007, 08:12 PM
Timbo: The velcro is for the battery pack, Ask me how I know. My battery pack fell out 30 seconds into the flight. Green pack in a field of deep green grass is now MIA. Another important detail omitted from the instructions but I should have figured it out. Just rushing to fly because the wind was dead zero.

Flight was a bit unstable but it could be me being unfamiliar with ailerons but they never flew like this on the sims. Wanted to nose down under full throttle. Also felt sluggish to respond to turns. Felt like I was waiting 2 seconds or more before it started turning and of course by then I was over correcting. Battery fell out before I got it trimmed and I never even had a chance to throttle back to see if it flew better slowed down.

On a positive note. From 30ft up with no control. It floated down pretty easy and there was absolutely no damage. Now I need a new battery.

Timbo, big favor, could you tell me where your COG is with the battery in place? That will help if I need to use a different size pack. I think I have a 1600 mah pack but that may be too heavy.

Best of luck.
Aug 04, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Steve,
With the battery in place COG is very near 1/3 of the cord of the wing. That is from the front of the wing. I will try to measure more exactly tomorrow. I'll see if I can come up with a weight of the battery pack as well.

I found out taxiing if the street in front of the house what the Velcro was for. Better there than in the field like yours.
Aug 04, 2007, 11:33 PM
I guess being the guinea pigs has it's disadvantages. Glad you figured out where the velcro goes. I used it on my reciever. Not sure what issues I was having with the plane as it was only in the air for like 10-15 seconds. I am thinking it reponded too much to right turns and not at all to left. Could be a control linkage issue. Also the CG may have been shifting with the loose battery pack. I like the size of this plane it is very compact. It is fast under full throttle. ROG in about 15 ft. In the vids it is flying pretty slow so I have a feeling you can slow this bird down quite a bit. I may lock the ailerons and try it as a 3 channel to work out the kinks and make sure is a good flyer than start playing with the aileraons after that. Look foward to hearing your flight report.
Aug 05, 2007, 11:17 AM
Timbo, You might want to change out the stock batteries for the radio that came with the plane, if you haven't done so already. I think that may have been the problem with the slow response to control input. My LED was red on the radio. Solid green now with some new alkalines. Looks like you can use rechargables in the radio as well. Also a little tape on the cowl may be a good idea as mine slides all over the place. Could cause some problems during a flight.
Aug 05, 2007, 07:56 PM
Another thought. Don't glue in the landing gear. Just ditch it and hand launch. I flew nemo again this evening. 2 packs. 8.4v 650mah. It was still pretty fast. Infact for me, very quick. Coming in for my first landing not very fast and the gear ripped out of the fuse along with some EPP. An easy fix. second guessing gluing in the gear as this may be why it is so loose, so it pops out rather than rip the box out.

Loops were easy from level and very wide. Turns were quick pulling back on elevator to get some real speed. I would say it is a nimble flyer. Still wanted to nose down even with full up trim and level horizontal stab. I had a hard time flying slow as it became difficult to turn.

Rolls were real sloppy and I suggest about 50ft of alt before you try your first one and full throttle. nose a little and then pull up a bit so that you are in positive attitude before starting the roll will help. I think I could pull off a neater rudder roll on my j3 cub. I tried again adding some rudder and it was a lttle quicker but not any prettier.

Inverted flight. I lost altitude fast and I already mention how well it rolls. Although I didn't know that at the time flying inverted at about 20+ ft I tried to roll out and probably missed the ground by about 6 inches. It was that close.

I am going to try to increase the elevator control throws. That may help with inverted and assist keeping some altitude when rolling.

It was fun and kept me on my toes the entire flight. I'd say it's a keeper. Learn all I can on it and not be too worried about crashing as it's easy to reapair or just part out all the electronic into you next model.
Aug 05, 2007, 08:15 PM
Crash Master
From your description of the inverted flight and roll response, it could be nose heavy, or is it an underchambered wing?

Might be an incidence thing since you mentioned climbing excessively under power...
Aug 05, 2007, 08:37 PM
Gene, thanks for the feed back. No it doesn't climb under full throttle that was my SS. Nemo Just wants to nose down. I had to keep my hand on the elevator the whole flight to maintain level.
The bottom of the wing is flat. I was using a lighter battery than stock and had it moved all the way back inside the battery box. There is about 3" to play with in there. So all the way foward to all the way back made no difference in flight. Still nosing down. But it could still be CG. I may try some glide test tomorrow if I have time.

I would love to see what an experienced pilot and modder would do to this plane. I have a TP brushless motor and ESC and am getting some 3s 1300mah packs. Would probably be a cinch to mount on the stick with the GWS mount. Motor would be lighter and I could also bend to the mount to get the proper thrust angle.
Aug 06, 2007, 06:36 AM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno
I would love to see what an experienced pilot and modder would do to this plane. I have a TP brushless motor and ESC and am getting some 3s 1300mah packs. Would probably be a cinch to mount on the stick with the GWS mount. Motor would be lighter and I could also bend to the mount to get the proper thrust angle.
As long as they are only sold RTF, there's little hope

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the GWS Funny Park. The Funny Park has had mixed reviews. My breif, but exciting try at one ended in a tip-stall into the corn I quickly determined I wasn't too interested...

Quick Reply