Nov 14, 2002, 07:33 PM
Thread OP

Laser Models Laser Arrow Delta Wing

Has anyone converted this? I'm framing it up now. Great laser cut kit. I'm using a geared 1409 2Y.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXABV8&P=7
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2002, 07:45 PM
Got one on the "to do" pile. isnt going to get electric though. maybe a jett or a plain old 61fx. Not fast enough electric for me
Nov 14, 2002, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Actually, if this was spring and not fall I'd go glow on this also. But I have the motor already. It should do ok with 12 cells and a 10*10. Around 125 watts per lb.
Nov 14, 2002, 08:12 PM
Id like to see the video if you get any. im flying an outlaw (in my avatar) now so I prob wont do the arrow for a while unless I crash this one
Nov 14, 2002, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
If I get one I'd be glad to post it. Don't have a camera myself. But a few folks at the club do.

BTW, how was the build on the outlaw. The Arrow is amazing. It's like a 3d jigsaw
Nov 14, 2002, 09:04 PM
Its not too bad, its definatly different though. Lots and lots of sanding too. The arrow will be much easier and faster Im sure. are you using the way they have you set it up with a elevator servo and ailerons seperate so you can use a 4 channel radio? Ill prob just set mine up with elevons.
Nov 14, 2002, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Not sure. Probably elevons. And yup, it is a quick build. Framing it will be just a few hours. Probably take me another few hours to decide on battery and motor installation. I'm thinking 2 to 1 on a 1409 2y , 12 cells and a 10*10 or so prop. That'l be 90 mph pitch speed and 63 ozs of thrust. The amazing thing is the wing loading should still be around 11 oz per sq ft or so.
Last edited by mumblety-peg; Nov 14, 2002 at 10:27 PM.
Nov 15, 2002, 03:59 AM
"Bible Thumper"
I'd like to know how it does, I have a framed arrow hanging up. It has a wide glow engine selection, so a 45/3 should do great. I have a few other delta's though so I am thinking of converting mine to a stand off scale KFIR or RAFALE jet.
Nov 17, 2002, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
I'll let u know when it's ready. Right now I'm in repair mode. Sigh....
Apr 05, 2003, 08:48 PM
Well I finally got around to building mine, Had it done in about 2 days as it just fell together. I went with a Jett .50 angine turning a 9x7 prop at 18000 rpm The estimated speed using Spectrogram program from the sound file is around 145mph or so

Did you ever finish yours? got any video of it?
Last edited by Steve H.; Jun 13, 2007 at 12:53 AM.
Apr 05, 2003, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
No, I never did get around to finishing it. It's number 2 in the Q right now. But that's likly to change at any time. But I really should get it done. It's all framed up. And I've started to install the servos. My hobby budget is all used up for now though. I do have a FX 40 looking for a home. Better than letting it gather dust.

Now to look at that video.
Apr 05, 2003, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Very nice vid... thanks. Gotta love those high speed flybys
Apr 05, 2003, 09:03 PM
Its a very stable plane, when it is set in one of those fly-by's I can let go of the sticks and it keeps on tracking straight.
Apr 05, 2003, 09:40 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
Cue. That is a great video! Did you end up using just elevons and did you need to split the elevator to do it?

Also is the manufactures advertised 3.3 lbs weight the AUW with a glow engine? If so what do you think the weight of just the built and covered kit?

Sorry, Last question. I see that the airfoil is fully symetrical. Would you say that it is a thin, medium or thick airfoil? Want to plug it into ECalc for some tinkering.

Thanks guys,

Bill
Apr 05, 2003, 10:37 PM
Yes I just used elevons, the instructions have info on doing it both ways, no need for 2 extra servos though with elevons.
I used Futaba 9202 coreless servos in it also.
I just weighed it, 58oz with an empty fuel tank. I would say the airfoil is a medium one, its pretty draggy but with all that power up front you cant tell

Quick Reply