3dx-500 / Hdx-500 - RC Groups
Jul 30, 2007, 12:34 AM
Renewed interest
Cool

3dx-500 / Hdx-500

I consider the 380-450mm blade E heil an ideal size.
Over the last couple of years there have been several entrants into the market, none with huge success for one reason or another which is a shame.This is a size that is easy on the wallet (re packs) , small enough to take to a park, big enough to fly at the club field.

Robbe Eolo was one entrant that was/is a very versatile machine but suffers from no distribution in much of the english speaking world. Ikarus/MS composit tried and the heli's are nice machines for sports flying . I also have a pair of Lipoly belt driven machines that are super sweet but basically hand made. Quick Japan also are in this market segment but the basic ep-8 is no ball tearer and the V2 SE gets up in price and still has a ali frame (which i dislike).

Then the Lepton hit the market. Rave reviews but boy what a price.

Now my friends at takeofandland.com.au have decided to take a punt on the HDX-500 range. There are many similarities between this and a Lepton but the price is miles apart. The HDX range has a different frame layout which i prefer (very similar to the rotorworks ep-8 SE frameset).

So money changed hands and i have a new toy.

I was sent the 3dx version which has a "lepton" style head and the parts for the hdx head are on their way.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
Renewed interest
This kit comes "arf" , so it looks almost ready to fly. The initial look and feel of the machine is very impressive for the price.
Jul 30, 2007, 12:42 AM
Renewed interest
Toby @ takeoffandland.com.au is putting lots of effort into this product. He is very quick to takecare of any percieved issues and has been an absolute pleasure to deal with an example of which is sourcing higher landing gear to allow for longer tail blades and higher quality 2.6mm screws for those that need them (its the little things that count).
Jul 30, 2007, 12:46 AM
Renewed interest
I will be trying some new to me stuff in this machine.
I have some Hyperion servos to tryout, a MVVS motor (what a gem) and a logictec 6100 gyro. All running thru my new Spetrum 2.4 module for my 9x radio.

As i am trying so many new items this may take a while but its something i want to do

Unusual for me this machine will not get the A123 heart but i want to find a 3s setup so i can reuse my mini heli packs. Much like the way over rated Hurrican 550 ep, this machine will benefit from the lighter weight of lipo sacs.
Jul 30, 2007, 02:05 AM
U son of gun, I've been thinking about the hdx500 for a while now. Seeing all these pictures are just gonna make me want it more. I'll be looking forward to your A123 setups should you decide to use (which I'm thinking you've probably already started to ponder .)
Jul 30, 2007, 02:07 AM
Opps, missed that A123/weight issue you brought up. I guess no A123s on that bird.
Jul 30, 2007, 03:09 AM
Renewed interest
I will probably fit a set of A123's when the heli is finished, just to see what difference it makes. So far in my A123 journey i have found the bigger the machine the better they work out. On these smallish ones its marginal to run A123 for weight and formfactor and lipos are readily available in afordable packages.
Jul 30, 2007, 04:52 AM
Renewed interest
It is so refreshing to see "clever" on affordable helicopters. I started to take a close look at the helicopter to contemplate the install. I had read about various servos and the queries that follow about what fits. Well the servo mount is adjustable, meaning anything from HS65's up to 9650's can fit.

The servos i am using are thechrome waypoint/hyperion 150's . At 16g and .15 sec (4.8v) and 4.1 kg they should be more than a match for me. The rear of the frame has a very nice option for 9650 or standard sized servos. Clever !
Jul 30, 2007, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
I will probably fit a set of A123's when the heli is finished, just to see what difference it makes. So far in my A123 journey i have found the bigger the machine the better they work out. On these smallish ones its marginal to run A123 for weight and formfactor and lipos are readily available in afordable packages.
You're right about that, I've been sticking to tandem style packs and so far 500-600mm bladed helis seem to fit the bill the best, especially around the 500-550size.

Oh btw, have you seen the new frame that Helidirect is coming out with for the HDX500SA, looks a little more battery friendly as far as A123s.

Build pics looks good. Keep up the good work.
Jul 30, 2007, 09:28 AM
ozace,

nice eletronics you got there. Ready to have some great 3D vid?

make sure you download the manual, some head parts are different but since it is all assembled, it would not make big difference

http://www.helidirect.com/upload/HDX...anual-V1.8.pdf

this manual we wrote for our HDX500SE.

Steve
Jul 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
Take it easy
Ozace,

What is the weight of that heli without a battery?

Rich
Jul 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
OK here you go guys.
Optional landing gear fitted.

With landing gear fitted giving 40mm clearance on the tail.
Carbon fibre boom & carbon fibre 68mm tail blades fitted. Solid as a rock.

Yes it can fly
Jul 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Nice rapidautoglass. Got more pics of "What's under the hood?"
Jul 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
Here you go.
This is the stock motor & speedy with the (se) kit.
Pretty potent in my opinion.
We are fitting HS85 MG's to swash (hard to get )so HS85 BB's at the moment. Gy401 gyro & 9254 on tail. EVO 25 4s 3700 juice box ( happy with this ) Spektrum AR7000 rx. That's about it for now
Jul 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
Looks good. My planned setup should I decide to get one would be very similar.