Nov 14, 2002, 09:54 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller

Right & Down Thrust on Pusher Wing ?

Hi Guys

Can anyoe help me out? I understand that in some models it's desirable to have right thrust and downthrust on the motor to counteract torque & stuff. That's on a conventional 'puller' prop set up.

I have just built a foam wing with a speed 300 DD pusher with a Gunther prop. It flies great, except ...

When I come out of a turn it pitches up, and I mean right up. Once I correctthe pitch up it seems to fly straight and level O.K. It looks like it's speed related somehow.

I also have full right aileron trim dialled in so I thought torque was a problem too.

On a 'pusher' set up do I still need down and right thrust on the motor? Or should I say would down and/or right thrust solve the problems I have.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2002, 01:36 PM
God is good
Andy,

I would think that you need "up-thrust" on your motor (shaft pointing downward). That could be the reason your plane is pitching up. Try about 5 degrees down to start.

VP
Nov 15, 2002, 06:44 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
Thanks VP

That is what I meant I thoght if the prop was pointing down that was downthrust, my mistake. What about left and right thrust to counter the prop torque?

Andy
Nov 15, 2002, 07:44 AM
God is good
I'd try manually adjusting the elevons first to see if that helps. I've never heard of using right/left thrust on a pusher, but someone else could amybe help on this.

VP
Nov 15, 2002, 09:43 AM
God is good
Quote:
Originally posted by Andycart
. . . . I thought if the prop was pointing down that was downthrust, . . . .
If the prop is up front, it is.

VP
Nov 25, 2002, 09:17 PM
i fly the deltawing pusher mirage 2000 and the manual stated that i need 2mm up elevator and 2 degree of that "up thrust" on the motor. but i do not know the conventional wisdom on this matter.