Nov 13, 2002, 10:25 PM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP

Spielberg and Castro (and Bigfoot 48)...

Okay, I have the required posts so I'm starting it...

Mr. Foot 48, You have the floor...
Nov 13, 2002, 11:27 PM
Here's his post, I saved it JIC:

Steven Spielberg enjoyed a 5-day visit in Cuba last week. He had an eight-hour
dinner with Fidel Castro which he described as "the eight most important hours
of my life."

I'm sure the thousands of political prisoners in Cuba wish they had eight hours
of freedom. I'm sure the thousands of people killed by Castro over the past 40
years for wanting freedom or opposing his dictatorship wish they could have
another eight hours of life.

Boy Scouts to Spielberg: Thanks for leaving!
Nov 14, 2002, 12:42 AM
Cant you come up with a better dictator than Castro. he is soft and sentimental compared to all the others. He still talks a good line about globalization and equality to a crowd. .
Nov 14, 2002, 10:46 AM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP
I hesitate to defend the man who originated the "Blockbuster" event cinema in America, but I don't think you can make any case whatsoever that he's not a patriot, with a huge love of the United States. His series Band of Brothers and the feature Saving Private Ryan did more to glorify the American fighting man (And by extension, the American way of life) than any ten movies in the past 50 years. As far as I remember, not once has he been critical of the U.S. or it's policies in any of his films.

Maybe he just worked a connection with Castro for a case of Havanas.
Nov 14, 2002, 11:19 AM
Mr Mootsie
Quote:
Originally posted by lrsudog

Maybe he just worked a connection with Castro for a case of Havanas.
let's not underestimate this particular connection! One of the benefits of having been to Bahrain, other than being able to drink beer in the Middle East, was the ability to buy Havana's. Great smoke.
Nov 14, 2002, 05:09 PM
I lived in S. Florida for over 20 years.....and have seen a lot of the results of our stupid...!stupid ...!stupid! policy towards Cuba. The embargo is a ridiculous thing. If we had not instituted this dumb policy back in the 50's (or whenever it was ) our Enormous economy would have overwhelmed that islands puny economy long ...long ago...and this whole thing would be only discussed in history classes. And the Cuban people would have had FREEDOM many years ago....???Go figure???

Jim
Nov 14, 2002, 11:41 PM
Thanks for reposting what I think was an interesting observation by yours truly.

I fully understand and support the removal of my post as I did conveniently forget the posting rule. Unfortunately, I started this hobby with a Tiger Moth, got answers to my startup questions, and then decided to move to a fixer upper in Tucson so I'm somewhat in limbo between being a flying beginner and having enough experience to contribute in a meaningful way to the working forums: hence the lack of posts.

Anyway, hope to rectify all of that over the coming months (no snow in Tucson! and house getting fixed up). Thanks to all for the support and understanding.

Back to Castro. He's convenient as he's such a good long term example as to why dictators and communism doesn't work. I agree with Jim that our embargo and other treatment of Cuba is just stupid. Maybe some guilt over the death of Kennedy?

I think Spielberg has contributed to our culture but statements like he made about Castro just makes you shake your head over the stupidity.
Nov 15, 2002, 10:16 AM
Go get them Meg!
Thread OP
Freedom to be stupid is our greatest right as Americans.

But it is vexing when it's the other guy exercising his right to be stupid.
Nov 15, 2002, 03:02 PM
Human Like You
There's an entire industry in Toronto for smuggling Americans into Cuba. It costs twenty dollars for a "Visa" (or $1000 in Havana) which stands in as your passport. If your passport was stamped by Cuba officials might have some questions when you came back into the US.

We really should change some policies toward Cuba. Both for our own and the islands benefit. I get the feeling everyone is waiting for Castro to die.

On the silly side, I have a Fidel Castro christmas tree ornament. Full on with the cigar and santa hat. My Dad and his wife spent a few years at Guantanamo Bay back in the eighties and they all made these things as a joke.
Nov 18, 2002, 01:33 AM

Castro

I am old enough to remember Castro being greeted by US dignitaries as a Fighter for Freedom, even appearing on Jack Paar's program trying to explain what freedom meant, ie, getting rid of the current, US-supported regime. His eventual ascent to "dictator" had to do with trying to distribute the wealth of Cuba to the Cubans, very unAmerican.

I understand the American paranoia of a USSR-based military power 90 miles from the US shores, but the US has no problem ringing the USSR with huge bases, with far more firepower, many closer than 90 miles...
Nov 18, 2002, 07:13 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
You all just prove my point;
Just because someone is a great director, or a great writer, or a great whatever, which has made him a world famous figure, that does not mean he is also a political genius, and that we should take whatever he sais as "the word from the mountain".

I am sure Mr. Spielberg had a wonderful time with President Castro, but if he (Spielberg) would not have been a famous person he would have been just another Yankee tourist. Also, if President Castro was a regular "Joe Average" he would not be the lifelong dictator he is, which offcourse makes him an interesting dinner partner.

Bottom line: lots of hot air and nothing else.
Nov 18, 2002, 12:36 PM
Ascended Master

Re: Castro

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Lyttle
I am old enough to remember Castro being greeted by US dignitaries as a Fighter for Freedom, even appearing on Jack Paar's program trying to explain what freedom meant, ie, getting rid of the current, US-supported regime. His eventual ascent to "dictator" had to do with trying to distribute the wealth of Cuba to the Cubans, very unAmerican.

I understand the American paranoia of a USSR-based military power 90 miles from the US shores, but the US has no problem ringing the USSR with huge bases, with far more firepower, many closer than 90 miles...
I went to the Cuban Embassy (when they still had one) on Rhode Island Avenue in DC to gaze at the "heroes" cavorting for us masses on the lawn..
Then in Cuba the executions started...
Nov 18, 2002, 01:11 PM

Re: Castro

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Lyttle
trying to distribute the wealth of Cuba to the Cubans
Well, that didn't work very well did it. He might try, hmmm, capitalism next time to bring wealth to his people.
Nov 18, 2002, 08:44 PM
It is cynical in the extreme to state that it didnt work as we made sure that they had no money or standing in the world. We attack any state that makes claims about helping their poor.

Edward S. Herman
The establishment can't admit [that] it is human rights violations that make ... countries attractive to business - so history has to be fudged, including denial of our support of regimes of terror and the practices that provide favorable climates of investment, and our destabilization of democracies that [don't] meet [the] standard of service to the transnational corporation.

S. State Department official, 1954
[Guatemala] has become an increasing threat to the stability of Honduras and El Salvador. Its agrarian reform is a powerful propaganda weapon; its broad social program of aiding the workers and peasants in a victorious struggle against the upper classes and large foreign enterprises has a strong appeal to the populations of Central American neighbors where similar conditions prevail.

Quick Reply