This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top 5 wastes of time

5) Waiting for Americans to lose weight
4) Waiting for NASA to go back to the moon
3) Trying to defeat terrorists
2) Saving dollars
1) Implementing a radio return path using a TV transmitter

So the TV transmitter return path worked in the dumpy apartment, but never in the field after the first mission. Seemed to depend on the ground loop in the dumpy apartment.

After that, tried autonomous cyclic again. For something that's being done for $70, it's pretty hard to get cyclic to stay level.

Finally, lost radio contact during a high speed forward movement. Crashed into the nose. That was the end of 2 way radio over TV transmitter. The TV transmitter interfered with 72Mhz reception before and it probably happened again today.

Still can't justify the XBee if cyclic automation isn't proven, but it will be in attendance if we ever use the TV transmitter again. Meanwhile, can set PID constants using 1 way radio. It involves sending a file by 72Mhz and signaling completion by LED. It's more pilot intensive, requires a laptop, doesn't have the future that 2 way radio had, but can upgrade any part of the avionics by replacing files.

Suppose 2 way data communication using 72Mhz systems is interesting because the range is better than any 802.11 and it's a completely self reliant connection. No service plan. No router.

Just can't think of anything that could use 3kbit/sec, 72Mhz transmitters interfere with all surrounding electronics, and better results can be achieved with optics.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Jul 27, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
#1 Should be reading posts by Jack Crossfire!
Jul 31, 2007, 10:32 AM
And # 2 could be arguing on the internet... which I almost did about one of his posts... but it'd be fallow ground
Aug 01, 2007, 07:07 AM
Suspended Account
I got to this post by clicking on a picture, thinking a crashed helicopter really is a big time waster and was curious what other R/C related problems I might agree with. And then I read the post. Wow, 2-5 have absolutely nothing to do with R/C, aren't really wastes of time and lead me to believe I don't think I'd like Jack Crossfire'a attitude or politics.... Too bad I wasted my time reading this post.
Aug 01, 2007, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Happy Gilmore: what a horrible movie. That was a waste of time and $50 of cable TV.

Quick Reply