Jul 27, 2007, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Yippee!

This pod came out so good I just had to post those photos!!

For those of you who don't know me and Dima (Dimson) are building an SG-II with some small modifications... one of them is the pod - I will build it to similar to the "Arrow" pod just because I think it is stiffer and much more sexier than the original SG pod.
I have done the mould several months ago, and since then I tried several layups and techniques to try and get the best pod I can.
Most of them weight around 16 gr, but this time I wanted to make it stiffer and see how much weight it will gain...
So I added another 0.4 mm UD carbon reinforcement and another 120 gr/sq.m carbon patch under the wing.
It added only 2 grams, so now it weights only 18 gr and it is very stiff, all I have left to do now is to trim it a bit.
P.S this the most good looking pod I made ever!
See for yourselves
Eitan.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
O-a-a.... SWEEEEET!

Kim
Jul 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
Jay Garcia
Very nice...

What is the entire layup scheme? (Type of fabric, etc.)

-Jay
Jul 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
WOW!!!

Showoff....
Jul 27, 2007, 10:38 AM
newbee to rc
Very nice job Eitan,

I am an experienced mold maker and have made molds of many products (although never a model airplane part) and I must say you have acheived excellent results.

How did you determine the wing incidence and what airfoil is the pod built for?

Again, excellent job.

Cheers,
Paul
Jul 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
ASK
ASK
Nice work, Eitan!
Jul 27, 2007, 11:02 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Ahhhhh....

Shiny

Pretty

Nice lines

What does it weigh?
Jul 27, 2007, 12:38 PM
Rank Newbie
Nice looking pod!!!

Ed
Intheswamp
Jul 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalking
Very nice...

What is the entire layup scheme? (Type of fabric, etc.)

-Jay
The original layup is the following
First layer is 4.3oz carbon
Then you have some UD carbon reinforcements through the entire length of the pod and some cross UD reinforcements in the wing area
And in the front area you have the 2.2oz kevlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walker
Ahhhhh....

Shiny

Pretty

Nice lines

What does it weigh?
The weight is 18gr without the canopy and before he trimmed the wing mount area

Me and Eitan are going to build the SGII together and we should get the wing cores CNC cut in the upcoming days. Then you can expect some building action in the SGII building thread
Jul 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Impressive! That's the lightest carbon fuse I've heard of to date.
Jul 27, 2007, 05:23 PM
Nice work Eitan!!!What resin???
Jul 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
Come out swinging
The better the mold, the better the pod.

Sean
Jul 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
Nice work Eitan!!!What resin???
We use CIBA 5052 as the laminating resin and 3M 460 with aerosil for the corners and tight areas fillets
Jul 28, 2007, 02:30 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind replies
I will answer your questions one at a time:

thermalking
I'll try to make this as clear as possible.
First layer - ~4.3 oz carbon fabric all over the mold
Second layer - 0.4 mm thick UD carbon 1 cm width on the entire length of the pod, and another small UD patch on the area where the boom ends all the to about 1" in front of the wing LE.
Third layer - 2.2 oz Kevlar on the front of the pod (as seen in the first picture above), and another small patch of 4.3 oz carbon on the area under the wing.
Fifth layer - pill ply for glue-able area after the resin is cured (this layer is piled after vacuum).

flxzcat
I make mold a living as well, and all of them are for bigger model airplanes
the pod is built for the SG-II airfoils which means the it is set for the AG airfoil, I have done this by making a wing and cutting the center of it and glued it to the master, you can this entire process in the mold build thread I have done several months ago.
Mold build thread

Jim Walker
It weights around 18 gr before trimming the wing area.

dougmontgomery
I used a Ciba 5052 Epoxy, this is a very toxic resin and when I work with it I use gloves (change them every 10-15 minutes) and a 3M gas mask like this one:

sporter
You have no idea how right you are!

Hope I have answered all of your questions, and if you have more please don't hesitate to ask!
Eitan.

Quick Reply