This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 19, 2017, 12:50 PM
Heli's rule!
Never, ever, ever, store your packs where you charge them.
Keep in mind, when you have ONE pack go up indoors, it creates a ridiculous amount of smoke, that ruins everything it touches. One is bad enough.
Storing a large number of packs in close proximity to a charging pack that goes up, is going to take a bad situation, and make it worse, as the other packs are at minimum damaged by the heat and smoke, making them more likely to have problems in the future.

charging a battery inside any container, from an ammo box to a file cabinet to a lipo bag does one thing, it hides the condition of the battery from you.
Yes, if you are going to charge inside, unsupervised, taking steps to minimize flame damage is probably a good idea.
A better idea is to just not charge indoors unsupervised. Contrary to what the internet videos would have you believe, these things dont happen fast. There is quite a long time of the battery getting hot and then starting to swell before finally venting with flames.
If you are in the room, glancing at the pack every few min, you will catch a problem long before any flames happen.
If you cant be in the room supervising the charge, dont charge in the house, simple as that. Charge it someplace that it wot cause thousands of dollars in smoke damage.
And no, being in the room with a lipo charging where you cannot see the physical pack is not supervising. The first indication you will have that something is wrong is the sound of the pack venting, and then its too late.....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 11:28 PM
Yea, I was planning to store lipo in that cabinet.
But just thinking it could be better to use it as a mobile charging station.
With the wheels. it could be moved out door or indoor. If something bad happen, I could just move it to the driveway with a water hose nearby.
It's not airtight, which is good.

Dry wall is something I have laying around, and referring to ibcrazy's video on YouTube, is kind of fireproof.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:38 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Yes, drywall has paper covering that does burn, but it does not sustain combustion. The cement board would probably be better. Nothing is actually fireproof. Certain materials will resist fire longer than others. In most states 5/8 drywall is considered an adequate fire barrier between living space and such things as attached garages. It will resist most fire situations for about 1/2 hour which is considered long enough for people in the house to become aware of a fire in the garage and escape the house safely.
Last edited by Mike Dubovsky; Mar 20, 2017 at 01:53 AM.
Mar 20, 2017, 01:47 AM
+1
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dubovsky
yes, drywall has paper covering that does burn, but it does not sustain combustion. The cement board would probably be better. Nothing is actually fireproof. Certain materials will resist fire longer than others. In most states 5/8 drywall is considered an adequate fire barrier betwee living space and such thins as attached garages. It will resist most fire situations for about 1/2 hour which is considered long enough for people in the house to become aware of a fire in the garage and escape the house safely.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:40 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterdd
Yea, I was planning to store lipo in that cabinet.
But just thinking it could be better to use it as a mobile charging station.
With the wheels. it could be moved out door or indoor. If something bad happen, I could just move it to the driveway with a water hose nearby.
It's not airtight, which is good.

Dry wall is something I have laying around, and referring to ibcrazy's video on YouTube, is kind of fireproof.
Get a metal cart with a tray top. That way, you can roll it out quick if you need to, but still actually monitor the charging batteries.
Apr 13, 2017, 08:14 AM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Okay - I'm a little brain dead. When charging my lipos I use the 10% safe harbor method. I'll charge a 650mah LIPO at .65, a 340mah lipo at .34. Now I possess a 2,000mah LIPO. What rate do I safely charge it? 2 amps?
Apr 13, 2017, 08:40 AM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov
Okay - I'm a little brain dead. When charging my lipos I use the 10% safe harbor method. I'll charge a 650mah LIPO at .65, a 340mah lipo at .34. Now I possess a 2,000mah LIPO. What rate do I safely charge it? 2 amps?
Yes that is 1C and the same equation you have been using with the other packs.
Apr 13, 2017, 09:59 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth
Got it. Thanks !!
Apr 14, 2017, 03:32 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth
Actually that would be .1C IIRC or have I been away too long?
J
Apr 14, 2017, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne
Actually that would be .1C IIRC or have I been away too long?
J
No, it's 1C. The battery capacity is 2,000mAh, which is the same as 2 Amp-hours, so a 2A charge rate is 1C. Welcome back
Apr 25, 2017, 09:12 PM

Lipo batteries need banlance charger

sorry to hear that the battereries caught fire!

As a li-po battery supplier (HPY battery), we have below suggest:
The RC battery need low resistance to play good performance, so they didn't add any protection circuit board for the battery pack.
Of course some batteries have low voltage protection, but it is nothing to do with over-charge protection.
So, if you use normal charger to charge the battery and not take the battery off when fully charged, it of course will catch fire since it is over-charged.
The best way to solve the problem is to choose banlance charger. That is to say, the over-charging protection circuit is not in the battery pack but in the charger itself. You can go out and the battery pack won't catch fire at all.

Lipo batteries is relatively safe than other batteries, but you need to use it correctly, and choose the right supplier to buy, not only cares about the price.

More information you can contact rita@haopinwin.com .
Apr 27, 2017, 03:50 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rita.sue
. . . .

Lipo batteries is relatively safe than other batteries, but you need to use it correctly, and choose the right supplier to buy, not only cares about the price.

More information you can contact rita@haopinwin.com .
If you meant to say LiPo batteries are relatively safer than other batteries, you are wrong. With proper care and attention they can be reasonably safe, but in my opinion they are much more dangerous than any other battery I have ever used.

I have never used a banlance charger either, but a balance charger is used almost universally for charging LiPo batteries for R/C use.
Apr 28, 2017, 10:43 AM
Closed Account
Yes the 18650s and prismatic cells are generally safer. They have physical protection systems and quality control incorporated during production LiPos don't have. They also have a range of electrical protections built into the devices they power. If that were not the case there would be a lot more phones and computers going up in flames. Though it can still happen, just more rarely.

Still hoping to see a flame proof Li-Ion battery developed soon. Well the LiFe batteries are pretty much, but don't have the energy density. There was talk of a solid state Li-Ion battery that would be flame proof. Can't believe it's taking so long. There's a lot of smart people in various companies working on it.
Apr 29, 2017, 06:23 PM
I was talking to my dad who is a retired electrical engineer the other day when we got on the subject of lipo's. He told me "Don't bother with storage unless your not going to use them for a few months.".. He called me the next evening to let me know he talked to a guy at his club that recently got back from vacation that had a lipo go POOF while gone & the smoke damage was bad. It was on a steel work bench so no other damage. I do believe that when the Old Man said "I need to rethink how I keep my batteries" is the 1st time he almost admitted I was right LOL
Apr 29, 2017, 10:37 PM
Space Coast USA
It's amazing to me with all the info on the dangers associated with lipos that there are people who
don't store their packs 1/2 charged and in a firesafe container.

Fires are still happening.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...03&postcount=4

Quick Reply