This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 08, 2020, 06:08 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas
I had a 6s 3700 explode a week ago. I can tell you the fire it was shooting would not be held by dry wall. One issue I have now, 3 other 6s batteries were damaged (the one that blew up is gone,, 2 of those 3 I could discharge. one had the leads burned off of it. How do I discharge a battery with no leads,,salt water?
Why did the battery explode??? It must have been put through some out of ordinary practice, they do not go off just out of the blue!
Carefully remove the covering and check the state of remaining leads, you might be able to re-solder new leads on if the battery is undamaged.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2020, 07:14 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
I guess no one wants to answer this one as there is no good answer. ...................
Yeah.
I'm saying nothin!..........
Jan 08, 2020, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Why did the battery explode??? It must have been put through some out of ordinary practice, they do not go off just out of the blue!
Carefully remove the covering and check the state of remaining leads, you might be able to re-solder new leads on if the battery is undamaged.
It was a very unusal occurance, the battery was new, sitting on storage charge. That one blew up and is gone. 3 other 6s batteries were damaged by the heat, one of those had one lead burned off of it, so no way to decharge in the normal way. the 3 damaged batteries are way past the point of being able to save, badly swollen
Jan 08, 2020, 09:24 PM

The size & intensity of a LIPO fire is not determined if it is being charger or layin

There is no logic to the intensity of one going off. I smashed a puffed up Hobby King with a hammer. Nothing for a minut. Then just a lot of smoke.
Jan 08, 2020, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
There is no logic to the intensity of one going off. I smashed a puffed up Hobby King with a hammer. Nothing for a minut. Then just a lot of smoke.
it started with a pop, I thought something had fallen on the floor, when I was in looking I could smell a chemical type smell, not really a bad smell, just not normal. A few minutes later I went in to look again, while I was looking it popped and the smoke started coming out. I tried to find something to grab the battery with, couldn't find anything, then the fire started shooting out. I grabbed my charger case (with 6 batteries on it), and threw everything outside. two of the batteries were on the other side of the case and not hurt, 3 6s were damaged

I have crashed planes nose first into a tree and the battery looked horrible, but didn't catch on fire. This was a fluke, I have talked to the manufacturer, sent them pictures, and they have discussed with engineers. It is very unusual, cut it can happen (this was a brand new pack that had been used for the first time that day then put on storage charge.

Fluke, yes, now I am ordering two safes to keep my batteries in when not in use, it does happen
Jan 09, 2020, 03:37 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas
It was a very unusal occurance, the battery was new, sitting on storage charge. That one blew up and is gone. 3 other 6s batteries were damaged by the heat, one of those had one lead burned off of it, so no way to decharge in the normal way. the 3 damaged batteries are way past the point of being able to save, badly swollen
You still did not give an answer, why did it explode?
Jan 09, 2020, 08:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
The size & intensity of a LIPO fire is not determined if it is being charger or layin

What is it determined by? Why did your pack only smoke while others burn?

There have been a number of unexplained fires. (State of charge unknown in some cases)
Here are a few examples of non charging "who knows why" fire incidents or why to store your lipos in a firesafe (non-flammable) container. (Undamaged? I'm sure they were damaged in some way, but it was not obvious to the user. Perhaps manufacturing defects which would be unknown to the user.)

Quote:
"Had been (past tense) storing my lipos in a ceramic tub-no lid. Luckily I was home and went into "airplane" room and found one of the lipos was on fire, on the carpet, and was able to prevent damage or far worse. AND I WAS NOT CHARGING THEM. Since that incident, I store them in metal ammo box (drill 2 holes about 1/4 inch diameter for venting) and in lipo bags. Charging is in the lipo bag. To this day, do not know why the battery just went "crazy". Hope this incident may be helpful to someone: charge (don't leave room) and store in some type of fireproof container. bdel"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post23648998

"WOW had a call from my partner whiles at work about my opti power lipo blow up, and the thing is its wasn't even on charge so am a bit confuse to y this happen, I did notice that they were starting to puff and funny enough i did rang opti power yesterday regarding the battery puffing and they said to send them back and now this happen today, but the most thing I was happy about is that she was at home other wise I could have lost" http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post877508

"A mate at our club this evening had a luck escape, a brand new Turnegy 5000 went up in his kitchen! no apperant reason (not on charge), he managed to get it out in time but i guess a bit of a freak out for his wife, little'un and himself. so remember lipos realy can burn the house down be carefull folks!"
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post831920

"Bought a couple of ThunderPower G6 1800 3s's and ran one in my parkzone mustang today for about 5 minutes (timer )of balanced flying. Packed the plane up took the battery out and put it back into a zip lock bag... One of the cells exploded while carrying it back to the car? For a brand new pack that had been discharged and balanced im pretty amazed?"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1136

"Bro's just had a very close call, A brand new battery never crashed a 2S 480 mAh was just sitting there it was not used or charged on this day.. I was up stairs and heard a loud pop, I go down stairs only to find the lil' battery spewing grew smoke & spinning then it blew up ! Big flames. It almost cost me MY HOUSE, this darn lil' battery all by itself did this, I have learned my lesson all batteries are now stored on ammo cans, DO NOT STORE LIPOS, in the open !!!!!!!!!!!! Look what happened to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It managed to burn the wall, carpet,and tile.......Never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1098

"After flying this morning I was doing some repairs and all of a sudden i heard a pop and smoke started pouring out of a Flightmax 3s 1300. I had not flown that pack. I just brought it home unflown. It was just sitting in the concrete block I store it in. I have a bucket of sand on hand that I dumped into the block and put its concrete top on. Smoked like crazy. Stunk up the cellar. There was another 1300 in the same block. The voltage on that measures fine but I don't know if the heat from the venting pack up against it might have damaged it? Now I am a little wary of my batteries. I treat them well. Have only charged them at 1C and do not abuse them. I recently balanced the pack. That was a small 1300. I recently got 6s 5000's".
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=1

"I had my own lipo near disaster today. After maidening a new plane last night, I left eveything in my wife's car overnight (ambient temp was cool). This morning I moved it all over to my car intending to fly. As I placed a TP 2100 3S on my front seat, I smelled a slight odour and felt the battery to be warm. I immedielty pulled it out the car and placed it on the ground. It was now fiery hot and smoking - which it did for about 10 minutes. It puffed out completely but I never saw actual flames.

This battery has not crashed, and only used once before. It was about half charged at the time. All I did was move it to the other car. This demonstrates to me the fragility of these lipo's. I could have lost my car."
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=2

OK, so it's rare. But is it worth the chance of a major house fire when prevention is so easy and cheap? Up to the user.
Remember, storing at 3.75V or less, greatly reduces or even eliminates the chance of a fire incident
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 09, 2020 at 08:37 AM.
Jan 09, 2020, 12:17 PM

Many thanks Hoppy.

Nice that some of us post that you really do not know which one will go off or how badly.

I am a sport flyer. Not a blood & guts racer in competition. So I am going back to all new A123. I am just too forgetful to not use A123.
Feb 04, 2020, 08:58 PM

Walmart charcoal grill charging station

I recommend Walmart charcoal grill charging station

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Gr...lack/420906592
Feb 12, 2020, 02:29 AM
Entropy is happening!

New FrSky Taranis with inbuilt LiPo charger?

Fitting and using LiPo batteries in a transmitter does not appear to me to be good practice.
Then charging them with a built in charger, even less favourable practice.
If a user is to apply safe handling of LiPo batteries as described here and many other places, using them in a transmitter would mean charging them before each day they are to be used, and then discharging them down to storage level at the end of the day. Then safely storing them...........which might be an indeterminate period of time.
Anecdotal reports suggest that flyers who are using LiPo batteries in their tx. charge it and leave it fully charged, or nearly so.

I will stick to LiFe or some of my older NiMh tx. batteries.

Have I missed something?

Jim.
Feb 12, 2020, 06:52 AM
Anecdotal report here, so take it with a grain of salt and whatnot -

I've got a 3s LiPo battery being used as a Tx battery. Roughly three years old. I leave it fully charged in the Tx if I'm not using it. My rationale is that the battery is not meant for high-discharge applications, and the batteries most affected by high-charge storage are high-C batteries with very low levels of self-discharge.

So far the battery has not puffed up nor has the battery lost any significant performance. I will concede that I might be lucky so far, but most of the data I've read suggests that the batteries that are meant for low-discharge applications suffer the least from this mode of use.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:21 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr5703
.......................................... I will concede that I might be lucky so far, but most of the data I've read suggests that the batteries that are meant for low-discharge applications suffer the least from this mode of use.
Ok, thanks for the reply.
That might be the explanation for the adoption of this chemistry for tx. use. Or part of the explanation.
I still would not be at all comfortable with a LiPo in any of my transmitters. Where are they to be stored? In the house or in the workshop? etc. etc.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Ok, thanks for the reply.
That might be the explanation for the adoption of this chemistry for tx. use. Or part of the explanation.
I still would not be at all comfortable with a LiPo in any of my transmitters. Where are they to be stored? In the house or in the workshop? etc. etc.
That is understandable. I'd like to also point out that the technology has gotten better, and I think it is safe to assume also safer. Most of the incidents with LiPo fires that I can find details on seem to be with flight packs, not transmitter batteries and other low-C batteries. Worse comes to worse, the Tx pack could be removed and stored with the flight packs at the end of the day.

As much as safety is a number one priority, I do wonder if current lithium batteries are being "overthought" as far as safety is concerned. If a modeler is using an appropriate charger, and takes appropriate precautions about pack charging, discharging, and safety (ie - Not using puffed batteries, not using visibly damaged packs, and carefully checking packs involved in a crash.) I know these are high-power batteries, but the basic chemistry is the same as the batteries in our cell phones, e-cigs, flashlights, tablets, laptops, and a host of other devices. With the exception of manufacturing defects, there are very rare instances of a lithium battery exploding without being abused first. Just a thought.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:52 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr5703
...................... Worse comes to worse, the Tx pack could be removed and stored with the flight packs at the end of the day. ...
It seems to me that would negate any advantage, perceived or actual. Then there is storage discharge requirement etc. (Or not, as it seems is current practice).

Quote:
........................ the basic chemistry is the same as the batteries in our cell phones, e-cigs, flashlights, tablets, laptops, and a host of other devices. ......................
No.
The chemistry in all of the above, including automotive "jumper" starter packs, is LiIon. We are discussing here LiPo here.

Jim.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
It seems to me that would negate any advantage, perceived or actual. Then there is storage discharge requirement etc. (Or not, as it seems is current practice).

No.
The chemistry in all of the above, including automotive "jumper" starter packs, is LiIon. We are discussing here LiPo here.

Jim.
I was under the impression that although the manufacturing processes for each type are different, among other things, the chemistry behind the batteries was still the same. I'll read up on that.

Quick Reply