Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:55 AM
ena is offline
ena
Find More Posts by ena
ena
Registered User
it is precaution some people do not take care and at the end face the problm .we have to take care these thing
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:04 AM
Chocks is offline
Find More Posts by Chocks
Registered User
Chocks's Avatar
Ok, now I have a question. Does the LHS carry extensions for the balancing tap? I don't want to put my charger in the Lipo bag while I'm charging. I am NOT going to charge my batteries without balancing them. I have an 1800 3s that I have had for three years. I balance my batteries 100% of the time. I monitor my batteries 100% of the time. I watch very closely the difference between the cells using the balancing side of my charger. If I see a cell that is way off between the others I know this pack is on its last legs. I have had packs go bad without puffing. It got warm when charging. A good balanced pack doesn't get warm at all. I am NOT by no means an expert on LiPo's. I have just used common sense to charge my batteries. I have been charging batteries since the early 80's when I used to race a 1/12 Associated pan car in So. California when R/C car racing first started in temporary parking lots on Sundays. We have come a long way since are old 15 minute chargers under the hoods of our family cars.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:03 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
What brand bags are you using?
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:35 AM
PatricMichigan is online now
Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Registered User
PatricMichigan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocks View Post
Ok, now I have a question. Does the LHS carry extensions for the balancing tap? I don't want to put my charger in the Lipo bag while I'm charging. I am NOT going to charge my batteries without balancing them. I have an 1800 3s that I have had for three years. I balance my batteries 100% of the time. I monitor my batteries 100% of the time. I watch very closely the difference between the cells using the balancing side of my charger. If I see a cell that is way off between the others I know this pack is on its last legs. I have had packs go bad without puffing. It got warm when charging. A good balanced pack doesn't get warm at all. I am NOT by no means an expert on LiPo's. I have just used common sense to charge my batteries. I have been charging batteries since the early 80's when I used to race a 1/12 Associated pan car in So. California when R/C car racing first started in temporary parking lots on Sundays. We have come a long way since are old 15 minute chargers under the hoods of our family cars.
Dyanmite has started selling some balance tap extensions. They have been very difficult to get- backordered for ever but seem to be coming into stock now. Dynamite is a Horizon Hobby brand so they should be available at most hobby shops.
Patric
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:55 AM
astronaut is offline
Find More Posts by astronaut
Future Pilot
astronaut's Avatar
If I put all my lipos in one fireproof container, would a potential lipo fire from one lipo spread to the others as well? Thanks!
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:02 AM
BladeMan is offline
Find More Posts by BladeMan
Nuke em and lets fly...
We are moving into a new home soon and I'm thinking of setting up shop in the basement insted of a non attached garage that I use now. I want to use a non working mini fridge to store and charge my lipo batterys in (inside the home) Any thoughts? I also have a fire proof file cabinet I may use but would be hard to drill into. I'd like to have a vent system for the "just incase" by drilling a 2" hole in the fridge vented outside with a smoke detector and temp probe mounted inside the unit. I want to be as safe as possible and always be neer while chargeing. Has anyone done this and if so I would like some feed back! thanks
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
If I put all my lipos in one fireproof container, would a potential lipo fire from one lipo spread to the others as well? Thanks!
Let's first consider a pack by itself. From the videos I've seen, sometimes one burning lipo cell will ignite the one adjacent to it and sometimes it doesn't. As I recall from the tests with several packs in a box, the adjacent ones did not catch fire. This may be dependent on how close the packs are together and the size of the packs.

Conclusion - Maybe, maybe not, so plan on it happening if they are stacked right next to one another.

My opinion only.....

FWIW, I store them in a metal container at storage voltages in a heap.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMan View Post
We are moving into a new home soon and I'm thinking of setting up shop in the basement insted of a non attached garage that I use now. I want to use a non working mini fridge to store and charge my lipo batterys in (inside the home) Any thoughts? I also have a fire proof file cabinet I may use but would be hard to drill into. I'd like to have a vent system for the "just incase" by drilling a 2" hole in the fridge vented outside with a smoke detector and temp probe mounted inside the unit. I want to be as safe as possible and always be neer while chargeing. Has anyone done this and if so I would like some feed back! thanks

Sounds good - If it were mine I'd add a latch to the fridge to keep the pressure from popping the door open. Better yet would be to use a working fridge and store them at 45F.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
gravityKills is offline
Find More Posts by gravityKills
like a rock!
gravityKills's Avatar
I wouldn't drill any holes. My LiPos live in an ammunition box, and I leave the seal shut just to keep the solvent fumes inside.
Note, I'm stating what I would do (and actually do). I'm not giving advice you should do it.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:02 PM
Whomprat is offline
Find More Posts by Whomprat
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills View Post
I wouldn't drill any holes. My LiPos live in an ammunition box, and I leave the seal shut just to keep the solvent fumes inside.
Note, I'm stating what I would do (and actually do). I'm not giving advice you should do it.
I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb since they gasses can't escape. I know they don't need oxygen to burn.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
gravityKills is offline
Find More Posts by gravityKills
like a rock!
gravityKills's Avatar
>> I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb

that's what you think, but it's not what I think
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:55 AM
RCBlackSheep is offline
Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
I'd Rather Be Flying
RCBlackSheep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb since they gasses can't escape. I know they don't need oxygen to burn.
They dont need oxygen to burn? The oxygen is coming from somewhere... the surrounding air or chemically produced... fire needs oxygen.

gravityKills >> I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb

Unless the sealed container is strong enough to withstand the pressure produced by the reaction...

just my 2 cents...
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:14 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb since they gasses can't escape. I know they don't need oxygen to burn.
"I know they don't need oxygen to burn" is partially true.

During thermal runaway, the LiCoO4 breaks down and releases O2 which is sufficient to fuel the thermal runaway reaction. This reaction generates a lot of heat which vaporizes the organic electrolytes in the cell (the white smoke). There is not enough O2 from the LiCoO4 decomposition to cause this to burn. If air is available, these materials will also burn.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
BattleDude is offline
Find More Posts by BattleDude
High Plains Drifter...
BattleDude's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
They dont need oxygen to burn? The oxygen is coming from somewhere... the surrounding air or chemically produced... fire needs oxygen.

gravityKills >> I thought that having them in a sealed container makes them a bomb

Unless the sealed container is strong enough to withstand the pressure produced by the reaction...

just my 2 cents...
I think the "sealed container" idea would depend on volume and strength of the container, and number and size of the batts. Put twenty 2200 batts stacked tightly in a small weaker container and a bomb may be in the making. Putting one 500 batt in a frig would never blow the door open.
IMHO
BD
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
BladeMan is offline
Find More Posts by BladeMan
Nuke em and lets fly...
Thanks for the input. I have decided to use a mini fridge with a hasp to keep the door closed. (good idea Hoppy) I will vent the box and figure out a pressure relief valve so no bomb condition exists, but if something does I don't spew toxic smoke inside my home. Perhaps a sring loaded door that I can manually open on the top of the box.

The basement will stay at a cool temp 55-65 degrees anyway and don't want to tempt myslef into putting beer in there while not being used to charge LiPos. It would be a waste of engery in my mind to keep it on. I replace all lipos every 3 years and my 4.8V receiver packs every 2 years (cheep insurance)

It may be a few months till I get it done, I will post pix then. You can never be too safe. I haven't even made my first morgage payment yet and would be a shame to, well you know...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Triton temp. sensor prevent Lipo fires?? duganderson Batteries and Chargers 27 Aug 27, 2014 07:26 AM
How Prevalent Are Lipo Fires? DLC Batteries and Chargers 32 Sep 27, 2009 10:46 PM
Lipo Test are in tallflyer Parkflyers 0 Aug 26, 2003 01:09 PM
Question How Lipo's are rated electron_head Batteries and Chargers 6 Jun 30, 2003 09:58 PM
UK E Zoners are real people.... tim hooper Electric Plane Talk 13 May 01, 2001 11:00 PM