This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2007, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

XBee price cut

Seems the XBee-Pro had a price cut. It was over $45 last month. Now it's $32, bringing the total system to $70. Contrary to many assumptions, the XBee-Pro uses spread spectrum, it only transmits when necessary, so it's 12 channels aren't as prone to filling up as the wireless TV cameras. It's really only worth $20, but because dollars are losing value precipitously, the price is $32.

The question is, is it worth spending month after month on custom 2 way radio? Originally wanted 2 prove Vicacopter could hover before investing any money in stuff only required for development. Still don't know how well the XBee handles the orientation changes of a copter. The price of 2.4Ghz for those 6 months was prohibitively high, we got stuff in the air sooner than it would have taken for 2.4Ghz to become affordable. Custom 2 way radio is still cheaper to mass produce.

Data communication by TV transmitter is proving pretty awful. The one video showing internet responsiveness was a coincidence. Most of the time it doesn't get TV transmitter data. So another day goes by with no progress, only radio debugging.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Jul 26, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2007, 12:04 AM
I to noticed the drop in price on the XBee's. I'm hoping that they drop the price on a few of their other offerings. I need to replace one of my XTreams since the whip antenna is about to break.

Keep in mind that's just for the unit itself. You still need a way to send the AT commands to it in order to configure it

Quick Reply