Jul 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Simple Nieuport 28 - design-build-fly by GPW, MS, Jasta_66, stanordave, et al

A few days ago, GPW and MS started a discussion about building a Nieuport, at the following page in the Simple Fokker thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...532611&page=28

The discussion rapidly evolved into a plan to build a Nieuport 28 foamy, prototypes to be built by "gpw" and "ms", with this author as the initiator of a new thread, as well as supplier of scaled and tiled 3-views, both as line art and as color schemes.

The 3-view that we've scaled to 36 inch WS appears in the aforementioned thread on the Simple Fokker (Watch out, SF, the A.E.F.'s SN28 will be coming after you soon, guns blazing!)

Naturally, we're considering using the color scheme of the 94th Aero Squadron, similar to that in Flying Scale Models, March/April 2001, which featured an electric-powered (Speed 400) scale RC model of the Nieuport 28, by Peter Rake.

More later.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. GPW/MS, let's get this one flying ASAP, as I'm sure there will be a demand for others, e.g., Sopwith Camel and Fokker DRI to commemorate Baron Von Richthofen's Last Flight. Of course, we'll need a Spad, as well, as the N.28C-1 was outclassed by the Fokker DVII, and was later replaced by the Spad.
Last edited by segraves; Aug 10, 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Revised title
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2007, 05:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Your humble narrator is overburdened with domestic duties, (hurricane evac preparations, its getting to be that time again ) ,Guitar making , bow making (hunting season is fast approaching), and mixing the band's new CD, aside from the usual cooking and cleaning that my lowly station demands...So Progress will not be at the usual speedy build pace as before...I plan on taking my time with this one , but also keeping it SIMPLE (as much as I can)... So, I would not be offended if others finished theirs before mine ... You guys have the idea, the plans , and the inspiration .... go for it !!!!!!...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 26, 2007, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Your humble narrator is overburdened with domestic duties, (hurricane evac preparations, its getting to be that time again ) ,Guitar making , bow making (hunting season is fast approaching), and mixing the band's new CD, aside from the usual cooking and cleaning that my lowly station demands...So Progress will not be at the usual speedy build pace as before...I plan on taking my time with this one , but also keeping it SIMPLE (as much as I can)... So, I would not be offended if others finished theirs before mine ... You guys have the idea, the plans , and the inspiration .... go for it !!!!!!...
We understand. Personal welfare (safety, shelter, food, good music, etc.) should always come first, IMO.

When you and your pencil are ready to do your magic to the scaled-up 3-view to make it into a real plan for builders, please jump right into the fray.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Guitar building? What type(s)?
Jul 26, 2007, 06:36 AM
gpw
gpw
Electrics...I have a small consulting job @ www.NewOrleansguitar.com
Jul 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Thanks for sharing the link.

The guitar on the front page of the web site is simply breathtaking!

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Think you could get me a tour of their shop if I'm ever in NOLA again?
Last edited by segraves; Jul 26, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Jul 26, 2007, 07:53 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw

I looked at the web site and you can't fool me Glen. That guitar is NOT made of fan-fold!

Tony
Jul 26, 2007, 08:43 AM
Use whatcha got!
Unfortunately we can't get started today like we had hoped... my group @ work scheduled a lunch meeting from 11:30-3:30 which threw me off...

Hey Glen... Please call me when you get a free moment. Might be able to swing something tomorrow, but I know you have time constraints on Fridays so lets talk and figure it out.

-mike
Jul 26, 2007, 11:25 AM
No snazzy tagline
GPW, what kind of bows do you build, I am also a nascent bowyer. And please forgive my ignorance, but what is there to hunt in the "Remains of New Orleans?" Nutria, Alligators and Snakes are all that come to mind. I have also built Folk Harps, dulcimers and 1 Lute. My Initials are CJW, Pehaps I am your "Mini Me?" (Except I am 6'4" and 270# I can not be considered a mini by any strech of the imagination)
Jul 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
Always Ready!
I just bought a Scorpio brand N28 off of Ebay... long out of production. I'm customizing it beyond out-of-the-box to add more detail and realism. I'll be interested in how yours turns out.
Jul 26, 2007, 03:37 PM
Use whatcha got!
I think we're going to hook up tomorrow to start, but this won't be as 'simple' as some of the previous versions so it will probably take a bit longer to complete...

-ms
Jul 26, 2007, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith
I think we're going to hook up tomorrow to start, but this won't be as 'simple' as some of the previous versions so it will probably take a bit longer to complete...

-ms
No problem! An old Latvian colleague of mine used to tell me, "Make haste slowly!" ISTM, that's good advice for now.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Jul 26, 2007, 06:05 PM
gpw
gpw
Seg , I'm sure a tour could be arranged ... waded through mountains of sawdust today, cutting and sanding day ...What a mess!!! I had to get on the boys about SAFETY!!! Came home and blew guitars out my nose ...Ecch!!!

Ton' ... no not really ... I tried to convince them ....

Wise... mostly English longbows... current batch is out of hickory backed Eastern red cedar...man high, smooth and shoot were ya' look ... Wild boar stroll down the driveway frequently enough for an occasional "harvest"... squirrels and bunnies too ... Guess I'm the mini...6'3" 235lbs. hahahahahaha Right !!!!!

Going to take my time and enjoy this build ... we've spent most builds rushing to finish, test fly , and post ... This is like a .... vacation ...might even take a drink ...or two...

MS ...CU tomorrow....I'll be back from "making groceries" by 10:00...
Jul 26, 2007, 06:14 PM
is it flying time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Came home and blew guitars out my nose ...Ecch!!!
Gotta ask being the smart rear that I am, 6 string or 12 string?

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Combs; Jul 26, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Jul 26, 2007, 06:22 PM
gpw
gpw
6, 7 (for the Jazz heads), and 12...No ukes , but I convinced him to make some high end Lap Steels /Beauty quilted maple looks like sausages lined UP...I happen to play those too ... That's how I started playing 40 + years ago ...Country... Russ Russel and the Rustlers...hahahahaha True!!! Hats ,boots, and belt buckles...

looking at a nice bunnie' in the driveway right now ... 10 yards ... easy shot ...but dinner's already on the stove...Shucks !!!
Last edited by gpw; Jul 26, 2007 at 06:28 PM.
Jul 26, 2007, 06:40 PM
is it flying time?
Got my start in Folk and Rock and Roll. Still play some but haven't played pro for 25 years or more. Middle son does play pro in an Industrial band (was "The Lonely" but they underwent a recent name change along with a different cast of suspects and are now "Pretty Empire", working on album #3), he is a lot better than I ever was.

Jerry

Quick Reply