This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

When NOT to obey factory recommendations

In my last post, I mentioned that the videocassette shipped with my son's Team Associated RC10GT RTR said that the engine could be started from underneath with an airplane starter against the flywheel.

Owner of the local hobby shop said he tried that routine. Doesn't work.

On the other hand, I'm inclined to take a closer look at a Sullivan Tiger Drive starter. Since my son has a rather powerful Dewalt cordless drill that would spin that little engine rather nicely, I think that might be the economical way to go as opposed to a starter box, but we'll see.

This doesn't immediately solve my starting and running problems, though.

Last night, I pulled the engine and set everything exactly to the factory recommendations. Once I either tighten up or replace the flywheel and put everything back together, I'll at least have a baseline reference to go by.

As a result of all this nitro noodling, I did some R/C Zen this morning. Found my center with some electric flight. Banged sticks with the Blade CP and then I put the P-47 Thunderbolt through its paces. I even managed to loop the chopper...but ain't no way I'll try that again anytime soon without symmetrical blades. Very, um, dramatic. Fun, though. Nice and clean as well. Not as fast as that little .25 combat plane, but nice and clean.

Oh, and after doing a bit more research, the problem might be ridiculously simple: Silicone fuel tubing has a tendency to develop pinholes, sometimes really tiny ones. Engine temp goes up, fuel level goes down, bye bye pressure.

Cheap fix and I was going to buy some anyway since I wasn't too happy with the condition of the tubing that was on the truck when I started in.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jul 23, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply