Jun 27, 2009, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark
Jochen

Thanks for the advise. I am determined to get one to fly though, and I have been building a flying my own planes since I was in grade school. I am sure it would be easier to buy a kit and fly it, but I am determined to get my own in the air. Trust me, I have had failures. I WONT and DONT give up though. When I say I can and will do something, I will try and try until I succeed. There is no such thing as giving up.
I may be a bit late with this post, but I built one from the '75 magazine article (back then) and flew it for years. It was a bit of a hit during the RC portion of the yearly Point Magu Airshow because normal heli's were practically non-existant and constantly crashing (hmmm. some things never change.) The crowd was fooled by the twin rotors and mistakenly thought I was some sort of genius teenage flyer even though it flew easier than most airplanes.

I'll never forget the one year because it was before society became insanely oversafe. The RC gang was beyond the ropes when a Harrier did a hovering demo about 20 feet beyond us (well, it seemed that close anyway; my innards are still vibrating.)

Ooops. Where was I? Ah. I remember the name Skip Mast. I think he published the plans. Mine had a Super Tiger 46. I sure hope you didn't give up, because nearly 35 years later I have become hooked on RCEP. I have been thinking for the past few months of building an electric version of what I had (my dad still has it, I think.)

Oh well. Enough of a dead thread that no one will ever see

rac
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2009, 02:44 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.
Aug 23, 2009, 07:25 AM
Hello,
here is the same project, i don't remember where i've found those pictures.

Jérôme
Apr 22, 2014, 09:38 AM
Sorry to be dredging up an old thread.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these things, so I am reading EVERYTHING. Some of it twice.

I have an accademic question about the twin bladed FA-61.

I've read through this young man's build 3 times now ... and no where does it mention which direction the rotors are turning in, i.e., both clockwise, both anti-clockwise or in counter-rotation.

I would think this a/c would have an advantage over a single rotor autogyro if the rotors were counter rotational.

Could this be the cause of this a/c's difficulties?

T
Apr 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
I have since found this vid on youtube:

Focke-Achgelis FA-61 (5 min 0 sec)

... and to my old eyes, it seems as if the blades are counter-rotating. It seem to be a very stable flyer.

T
Apr 22, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hello, I am fairly certain that the left rotor is CCW and the right rotor is CW. I had the plans for this, as well as the Rotoruta (similar design) and built an Ace RC Whizard conversion 25 years ago......powered by .15 nitro, AUW 31 oz. Awesome slow flight and climbout. Very manueverable. Excellent 3-channel autogyro !!! Charlie
Apr 23, 2014, 12:36 PM
Flying at North Edward's
That was AWESOME!!!!
Jun 20, 2015, 03:30 PM
killickb
Cannot locate any photos (slides) of mine but I built two of these Skip Ruff design FA-61's way back. Both had HP 40's on board. I flew with contra rotating rotors and tried with forward blades going inward and rearward blades going inward. Neither method seemed better than the other while in flight.

The model itself was very easy to fly providing you took off directly into the wind as one of the rotors always spun up a little faster than the other and if you were off the wind and the roll was in the same direction there would always be a rotor strike. The original was a tail dragger but both of mine had steerable nose gear which also did not help the roll over if rotor speeds were uneven. The noise it made in high alpha was amazing and it would almost land vertically in a good wind. Rolling landings were as easy as with an airplane.

A prespin set up as in the new Durafly Super G would have been very welcome. I have laid the plans on the table many times with the intent of building an electric version but ---------- !
Jun 25, 2015, 06:20 AM
I recently bought a beautifly built one, but with 3 blade rotors. It has one problem the stabilizer has a horrendous warp in it. One side has a curl up of almost 1 inch or more.
I want to try to electrify it.
Bill
Jun 28, 2015, 09:53 AM
killickb
Bill, both of mine had three blade rotors. You do learn all about blade balancing !! Skip's published plans were for three blade (Model Builder magazine I believe). The only mods done as design progressed was from a taildragger to trike gear.

That stab is a very simple structure Bill so wouldn't take but a couple of evenings to duplicate. The plan called for a full sheeted stab so I cannot imagine how it would warp that much. I could send you a copy of stab plan if you would like?
Jun 30, 2015, 06:14 AM
Killickb, Thank you for the offer. The one I have has a built up stab, appears to be silk and dope, and has bowed incredibly. I found a plan with the built up stab, and I am going to try stripping this one and experimenting. Just as an aside I used to get to your area in the past, my parents had retired to Marion Oaks, when it was just starting up. Bill
Jun 30, 2015, 01:43 PM
killickb
Let us know how it goes. By the way I meant a stick built stab but was fully sheeted with 1/32 sheet. This thread is sure enticing me to build another but I must resist and finish those "other" projects!

Marion Oaks is a little closer to Dunellen than here but a very nice location, is a very busy development today.
Aug 06, 2019, 07:26 PM

FW 61 autogyro

I built the FW 61 auto-gyro from Model Builder plans. It used Baby Bee crankcases for the rotor bearings and an aluminum hub (non-flexible). Had an HP 49 in it. It took off fine and was flying fine, then the aluminum hubs folded up and that was the end of it, a short but exciting flight.

Quick Reply