Aug 19, 2007, 07:04 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Yeah I was looking at those blades also.... don't know if I should or not. I'll get some if my FA-61 will fly, but if not... well, I will try me another auto! Anyway, I'm not to sure if I agree with you on the "beautiful gyro" part.....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, I patched it up and covered the blades, painted the spars, and just basically tried to make it look a little more presentable. No numbers or details are on it yet, and the vert stab still is missing half a red band and swastika, but it looks a little better IMO. Enjoy.
Aug 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
It took off! It took off! Actually it started flying but the wind was a bit much (again) and it lifted off, struggled ahead, and I banked it around and it came flying back. Then I figured I had better get this on the ground before the wind smashes it into my car or one of the barriers at our field, so I.... um... landed, slightly hard. Didn't hurt it much, I will have it repaired in five minutes. But I CANT wait to fly this on a nice calm day! It looks as if its actually gonna go!
Aug 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
Closed Account
Hi Eric,

Way to go mate! I would be very proud if I had built such a good looking autogyro, I admire your determination to get her flying, and because you made it yourself it's no hassle to repair, cool, let's hope you get some decent weather soon to fly more relaxedly and explore the flying side of your FA 61., marvelous pictures.
regards,
Al(T)
Aug 21, 2007, 11:49 AM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Thanks rotorheid, I need some help though...

Alright, well I am hoping someone can help me out here. The FA-61 flies but barely, I don't think it has enough aft tilt still but what do I know? Anyway, I was just hoping that someone out there could give some advise. My problem is this. It has the crappiest ground handling you have ever seen, and its hard to get and keep both rotors going at the same speed, and it barely can take off, although it actually gains a foot or two or altitude every mile of so... Did that make sense to you meter and kilometer guys??? Hehe, I always seem to forget that most of the world uses kilometers and whatnot.
Aug 21, 2007, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark
Thanks rotorheid, I need some help though...

Alright, well I am hoping someone can help me out here. The FA-61 flies but barely, I don't think it has enough aft tilt still but what do I know? Anyway, I was just hoping that someone out there could give some advise. My problem is this. It has the crappiest ground handling you have ever seen, and its hard to get and keep both rotors going at the same speed, and it barely can take off, although it actually gains a foot or two or altitude every mile of so... Did that make sense to you meter and kilometer guys??? Hehe, I always seem to forget that most of the world uses kilometers and whatnot.
Recheck your moments, CG position, as well as rotor disk loading, it is a nice model but it sound as you are struglling with head speed on the rotors , if you don't have the head speed on the rotors nice and smooth it will not want to fly higher than what you have described. Are you using ball bearings on your rotors? Tip weight on your blades?< have you tried with and without them? Sure hope you get this cool bird flying.
Aug 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I think you are correct about my headspeed. I have enough power, the CG is where its supposed to be, and everything (as fas as I can tell) is correct. The only thing is, as you described, the rotors aren't getting up to speed well, and FYI, I am using ball bearings off of my T-Rex 450XL, so they spin VERY well. Its just that either I must tilt back the rotors, or adjust the pitches or something. What is the purpose of weight on the blade tips though?

Also, some guys at my club were giving me a bad time because I told them its scale (close anyway). "Oh, thats why it won't fly, its SCALE" they said. They have had bad luck with scale aircraft, mostly because they lack some flying skills, IMO, cause yeah, scale aircraft tend to be harder to fly, no doubt about that, but I have flown many scale aircraft, and never had too much of a problem. Its all in good fun though. Ah well, I am getting off subject... so I plan on experimenting with it, and if I change something and it flies MUCH better, I would certainly learn something. Cheers!

Eric
Aug 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, I just flew it again, and I believe I figured something out. I got the headspeed up and both blades were the same speed. It lifted off strait and true! YES! But..... It won't go higher than about three feet. If I pull up it snaps and rolls over dead into the ground. I am thinking CG, but I gotta go to work now, but any ideas?? Later.

Eric
Aug 21, 2007, 09:58 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. Its toast. Its gone. I kicked it. Sorry guys, its just that is was so frustrating! I have crashed it literally about 50 times, repaired it at least five or six times, (I would keep trying and crashing until it broke), and I learned quite a few tricks, but.... it would only get a couple feet off the ground. Now granted, it was in windy conditions, BUT, it still should have done better. Ah well, the old FA-61 might be done, but I'm NOT! I plan on either building it again, or finding another one to build! I'm not finished, nor do I give up so easily. I am 17 years old, never seen an autogyro until a week or two ago, and am determined to build one and get it in the air. I'll keep you updated.
Aug 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hello Eric,

I guess I'm still the only Autogyro flier here in Montana! I was hoping you would have more success with your venture. I've been flying Autogyros for the last four years here in Darby Montana. We're about four hours apart by automobile, maybe we can get together someday and perhaps I could help you get started with a proven design if you are interested. I don't have any electric gyros because I like larger gyros that use glow fuel. Leave me your Email address and I'll send you some photos of some of my Fleet.

Don't give up,

Joel
Aug 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
I'm interested. Sent you an email.
Aug 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, my next attempt can be found here if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...26#post8046771
Aug 23, 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark
I am 17 years old, never seen an autogyro until a week or two ago, and am determined to build one and get it in the air.
Eric,

if you don't know anything about autogyros, I suggest that you start off with a proven design like Al Foot's Twirl. Fly it, gain experience and then go on to your own designs.

All of the guys at our club that are in your age group, or a lot younger, fly a lot better than me, even helis and big birds I wouldn't dare to touch. I even think that they would be able to fly one of my gyros with just a bit of advice. But none of them would have the capability to develop a new design to the point where it's going to fly well enough, because that takes a lot of insight and experience.

When I started out in autogyros I used an existing design - in fact two of them. But it took me about 60 to 70 crashes before I had my first successful flight, and I'm an old hand at fault tracking in general. Even now, new designs give me a lot of headaches.

Another advantage of using a known design is, that you can ask the responsible people about any problems you have. When you seek advice about a new design, you'll have to give a lot of details to get the correct answers, details which may seem unimportant to you but, in fact, aren't.

That's why I again recommend starting out with some proven design instead of building something new. The important thing is that you get a gyro - whatever it may look like - to fly and have fun with it, because otherwise you may lose interest, and that would be too bad.

When I look back at the time when I was as young as you (sorry, you may have heard this phrase before), I'll have to admit that the advice I just gave you never was an option with me, but seen from a distance it's still sound.

Keep on spinning,

Jochen
Aug 23, 2007, 08:53 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Jochen

Thanks for the advise. I am determined to get one to fly though, and I have been building a flying my own planes since I was in grade school. I am sure it would be easier to buy a kit and fly it, but I am determined to get my own in the air. Trust me, I have had failures. I WONT and DONT give up though. When I say I can and will do something, I will try and try until I succeed. There is no such thing as giving up.
Aug 24, 2007, 01:55 AM
Eric,

very good. The main thing is not to get frustrated by all those crashes. When you've got your first gyro in the air, the learning curve will rise steeply.

Jochen

Quick Reply