Jul 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Build Log

Focke-Achgelis FA-61 "autogyro" anyone?

Now I do know that this was truly a helicopter and not an autogyro. But I have a set of plans that the designer thought he would make an autogyro out of it. Actually, I think it would be rather cool to have a twin bladed autogyro, and I just think the FA-61 was just begging to be turned into one, with that prop on the front.(it was for cooling I believe) So anyway, I have started scratchbuilding the FA-61 and thought I would start a build thread for all those who are interested.

Eric
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
"But I have a set of plans that the designer thought he would make an autogyro out of it."
More than a thought, he succeeded.
Published twice in Model Builder Magazine, 1975 and again in 1990 with two addendums. I have the 1990 magazine. Email me if you have interest in the construction article.
Model Builder Magazine is long gone...
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jul 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
Very slow flyer indeed

Excellent idea!

Spot on, Eric.

That's a historic design, and did indeed use the (licensed by Focke) Cierva rotor head developments to build what is generally reckoned to be the first practical helicopter. It would autorotate - of course! I think that was a first among helos.

Can't see a CG on the plan, but that may just be my eyes. With our setup (AeroBalsa 1.5" rotor blades on a teetering head with PPR) the CG usually needs to be something like 1/14th of a rotor radius ahead of the rotor axis for stability, a little further back for more agility. ymmv....

Go for it!

All the best, Ben

PS Mickey, I'd be very interested in that article if it's not a lot of trouble
Jul 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BragMan
PS Mickey, I'd be very interested in that article if it's not a lot of trouble
Please email. Too big to scan.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jul 23, 2007, 04:31 PM
Restricted User
http://www.scientistsandfriends.com/helicopters.html
Click on the link to see a picture of Hanna Reitsch flying the FW 61 autogyro indoors in Deutschlandhalle/ Berlin in 1938. Dark years, but war and military were always strong support for technical development.
Stephan
Jul 23, 2007, 06:12 PM
Very slow flyer indeed

Interesting...

...and the Hanna Reitsch link led me to this:-

KIT
"Then I got the idea of converting it to the FW-61 helicopter prototype, since the FW-61 was, in essence, a modified FW-44."

Found it at: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/reitsch.html

Didn't know the basis of the FW/FA61 until now. Might make the fuselage
a bit easier to detail?

Thanks Stephan.

All the best, Ben

PS Mickey, I've sent you an email
Jul 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Thanks mnowell129, but I already have the article. I have already constructed the two rotors, and I used T-Rex parts for the bearings and hub. I think its unique and I have never seen it modeled by anyone (although I am sure some have done it). Also a search brought up nothing but one person wanting to know if it was a possible RC project.

Eric
Jul 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, here is one of the two rotors....
Jul 23, 2007, 08:48 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Never mind, I figured it out.
Last edited by EricClark; Jul 23, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
Jul 24, 2007, 02:50 AM
Very slow flyer indeed

FW44 details

Here's some nice pix of the FW-44

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/20...etail_fw44.htm

Hope that helps with the fuselage - Allabest, Ben.

PS (edit) there's a well-reviewed helo book available (I've ordered one) that may help at :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...955171-8067843
Last edited by BragMan; Jul 24, 2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Added link to book
Jul 28, 2007, 06:14 AM
XE521
Hi Mickey,

many thanks for the info. When I wrote "soon" I didn't expect it to be THAT soon. Once again many thanks.

Regards.

Karl.
Aug 11, 2007, 08:11 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Alright!! Sorry it took so long, I was finishing another project here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722818. Anyway, I finished both rotors and balanced them and am working on the tail. Almost done. After that... fuselage and struts to hold the rotors and we will be ready to fly!! I hope.
Aug 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Ok here's some pictures. I have scaled the model down about 50% and am making it electric. So, if it seems small, its because it is! I hope it will work... I just don't know.
Aug 12, 2007, 06:07 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Well, heres the finished picture of the tail feathers. Fuselage is halfway done but still on the building board. While the glue dried I covered the tail feathers. Maximizing working time!
Aug 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
AMA - 734492
Thread OP
Ok, the fuselage is framed up, but I still need to sand it, beef up some areas, and add servo rails, battery mount, etc. Just thought I would show how much I got done. Anyone interested?

Quick Reply