Jul 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Discussion

2007 Nostalgia Nationals - Muncie, Indiana, USA

Disclaimer: Sorry in advanced that this post is very long and probably a bit personal at times. Enjoy/read at your own risk.

I had a fantastic time at the Nostalgia Nats yesterday (of course, I might be a bit biased; overall I did not fly too badly). Big time kudos to the LSF for organizing such a great event! Nostalgia was held on the same day as HLG today and I think that was not a bad setup. There were probably some pilots that would have liked to have flown both events, but as with everything else in life it was a compromise and I think one that worked out well.

There were 5 winches and 5 landing areas for Nostalgia. Winches were provided by local clubs and a club I was a member of when I lived in Indianapolis, MIST, the Muncie RC glider club, provided 2 of the winches. I knew this in advanced, so I tried to plan my drive up from Santa Claus so that I could have time to help with the winch setup (I still consider myself a MIST member and have tried to keep my membership current, even though I live 4 hours away). Im not a winch expert, so I did not do a lot, but I walked the lines and the turn arounds out for the 2 MIST winches. I also helped stake down the turn arounds for the 2 MIST winches. Although the field was wet with dew, the ground was surprisingly hard, so screwing in the cork screw style dog stakes was a bit difficult. In the process of the small bit of helping I did (compared to the larger workload as a whole, the guys running this contest really are great volunteers. They work their tails off), I noticed that my shoes and socks were getting soaked from the morning dew. :-) I figured, Im adding a bit of karma to my RC flying pool by trying to help some with the winches. I ended up using up all that Karma and then some as the day went on! :-) I also met the CD while helping setup the winches, Ron Kukral. Somehow during this we each learned that we are both big Formula 1 fans. During this conversation I also learned that I was sharing a channel with John Wolff. I met him before the contest and we agreed to time for each other throughout the day. Since there were 2 events going on, Nostalgia managed our own frequency pins. This worked OK and there were no problems.

7 rounds were flown. Tasks were 6 min, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 6. :-) Lots of flying! This was the first non MOM Nats contest I had ever attended (I have been 10 times now), so that was kind of unique. Landing was a 10 meter tape and it was in or out for 25 points. It was open winch and rounds were about 1:15 so that meant that you could easily get your flying in and some good old fashioned sand bagging went on. There was also some pilots flying as sort of teams, so that worked out well.

Conditions were great for contesting. Big puffy clouds at times. Winds were under 10 mph (although were kicking up a bit towards the end of the day) and into the winches. The winches were probably a bit less strong than normal Nats winches and were using a bit lighter line. There was not any broken planes on winch that I saw and very few pop offs.

A few words about the fellow pilots. I joined the Louisville Area Soaring Society in May (I live about a 75 minute drive from the main LASS field) and am glad I did (more later). Ed Wilson (LASS president) and I were the 2 representatives of LASS in Nostalgia, while Ben Wilson, Lee Atchison, and Bruce Davidson were representing LASS in hand launch. From MIST, I was flying alongside Regie Sewell, Dave Cambell, and Pat Dilts. Greg Prater from MIST was on hand today and helped timing and spotting lift. As always, that is very much appreciated. I flew and timed with John Wolff quite a bit. John was flying an Oly II and was doing very well. He easily would have been in the top 5, had he not chased lift a bit too far in round 6 and had an off field landing and a zero. We were both taking some chances and going down wind with the lift and on that flight it just caught up with us. But otherwise it was working great on the day.

A few words on planes. There were 2 beautiful Challengers in attendance. Real works of art. One of them is being assembled in one of the pictures. The Mirage was very popular (at least 4 of them were there) although for whatever reason none were in the top standings at the end. The plane chosen interestingly seemed to not have a huge effect on the end result. Planes that took trophies were all over the board, as is usually the case in Nostalgia from my experience. Airtronics kits were in the mix. Those that know me know I was flying my Paragon. That Wind Lord was cool. Oly IIs were popular. One picture is of Rob Glover assembling his Oly. I liked the beer sticker so had to get a picture of that. Perhaps my Paragon needs such livery. :-) The picture of the flying wing is a Wind Lord piloted by Ken Bates, the designer. He ended up in 3rd place with that wing. Everyone was impressed with his flying of it.

For me, I maxed round 1 with a landing. Round 2 and 3 I did not fly that well. I worked wave lift as I could but missed the landings. I did not max either round but did not do terrible. Round 4 I maxed with a landing taking the lift down wind some. BTW, I like this either made the landing or did not business

For round 5 I had one of the best rounds of my life. Early in the day, there was this ridge/wave line stuff that was up by the main field road. You would launch and then just punch up wind (if you can call it punching with a Paragon or whatever a person may have) and you could surf and either make your time or come close. So after lunch I had a had a 10 minute task, and I pushed up wind to find the wave lift was no more. So I worked my way back hoping to find a bubble, but nothing. Finally, after watching my TX tape, I thought that there would be lift just up wind of me to the right. I was at about 25 feet, and my timer said time to land, but I had found the thermal. So I start cranking. It took me near the tents. I was afraid I would get called to stop turning (and would have done so) but no call was made. I thought I was not over the tents but later I talked to Ron (the CD) and he said he thought Id be off field for sure and decided to let that be the punishment. So Im working this bubble more and more down wind. Not really climbing, perhaps I climbed to 50 feet high and I was 7-800 feet down wind. Finally, it pops, I start widening my turns and Im climbing. During all this, I walked down wind away from the LZs some and was working it and climbing. This is where Ed really helped out. He walked over to me and I asked him what to do. Ed is a level 5 and a great pilot, so I knew Id be getting solid advice based on lots of experience. Keep in mind Im probably 2000-2500 feet down wind at this point (or perhaps more, hard to tell), and not great high, but high enough. I was in good lift at the time, so that was comforting. Now bear in mind I have an unballasted (45 ounce flight weight) Paragon here! Ed says I should make 2 more turns as I was really climbing then head back. I do so, and Head back kind of off at an angle. At this point Im probably 6:30into my 10 minute task. I push up wind, walk back to my LZ tape and get it back on field. Nobody watching that flight in the early part of it thought I had a chance at all of making it back on field. Setup for landing and get a 10:06 with the landing! My best flight of the day. Probably the highlight of the year for my flying! I think I about depleted my soaring Karma on that flight...

My worst flight of the day I ended up with a 3 minute flight on a 10 minute task (round 6, right after the best flight of the day). I launched with Ed Wilson and we both tried to work lift straight out and he went right over the cemetery and hooked up. I went left to an area that worked well several times earlier and did not find anything. I wish I would have followed him.

There was so many rounds, and so many places a person could get killed with a bad flight
Before the 7th round, I decided to fly with Ed. I told him wed have to work together to get that 6 minute flight, as he was in contention for a trophy. He kind of scoffed at that, since he had dropped 10 minutes on the day! I assured him that I had looked at the score boards and he was in contention. I was in 10th place at the time and hoped to climb up the leader board just a bit more. See, Im working on LSF 4 and need contest points. So we launched together, pushed right over the cemetery/woods where Ed found good stuff the flight before. I found wave lift and stayed in that. Ed worked a thermal that kicked off it, and we both made our 6:00.

Paul Wiese was the man to beat. His final score was about 3300. He flew consistently and was consistently making times/landings. It was pretty obvious he was to be the winner.

Before the awards, somehow Ed and another pilot were tied. This meant a fly off. The other pilot was flying the V tail Airtronics Grand and Ed was flying a bit more modern (if you can call anything designed before 1980 modern) update of that Airtronics kit, the one with the Skip Miller modification, the Aquila Grand. Since this was a 2 man fly off, all eyes were watching. Both launched sequentially, and then they both kind of punched up wind. I knew Ed was going to go to the cemetery/hill off to the right, and sure enough, after making sure that the other pilot would not follow him he did so, did not find great lift but maintainable slope lift, and won the fly off!

As the awards were being announced, I awaited with anticipation to see how many points I scored (for calculating LSF points) and my place. They announced Johnny Berlin in 7th and just out of the trophies, and for a second I thought I had missed my name being read. Then, I find out I was in 6th and had won this cool plaque that is pictured below. Man, I was floored! I had no idea I was going to move up that much after the last round. It really helped my contest points for Level 4 as well.

At the end of the day, Sheldon who organizes the winch chute retrieval via kids driving golf carts, passed around the hat for donations to feed the kids. This is a great system and works really well. So of course, I put in a fiver to try to get some of my soaring Karma back up! :-)

Id like to once again give big thanks to the LSF crew that ran the nats and to everyone that works hard to put on this contest. It is very much appreciated by me and the other pilots. I had a good time and hope to be back flying Nostalgia again next year.

Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2007, 12:41 PM
LSF186
hi ryan and great report!!!!!......i will definitely have to make it there one year with my mirage!!!.......

bob
Jul 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks. Some day I hope to make it out east again for a contest too. I have not been doing as much long distance travelling for contests since my daughter was born but hope to when she is old enough to come enjoy in the flying.

Ryan
Jul 23, 2007, 01:56 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Thanks for the post
Jul 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
Great report!

Roy
Jul 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
You looking at me?
WAY TO GO RYAN!!!!!!

Ed
Jul 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
The Nats score sheets had this cool area where a person could list all kinds of details on the gear they were working with (Gordy would have been very, very proud). Plane. Weight. Radio. Servo brand/type/number. :-)

I wonder if any of that will be reported/put in a database?

Ryan
Jul 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
..............Paul Wiese was the man to beat. His final score was about 3300. He flew consistently and was consistently making times/landings. It was pretty obvious he was to be the winner..............
Fellow MOSS member. Paul is consistent at our local contests too.

Tom
Jul 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
Ryan was a star. That flight that he worked over the parking lot was a sqeeze gauge checker for sure, and even after he started it looked rough because he really was not going up, just down wind maintaining, and that aint good with a Nos ship. It finally broke and he made it. Was just cool to watch.

My flying, I sucked, kind of dinged my Grand Esprit, had to make a comeback with Rob Glover's Oly II that is pictured above, two out of three flights with it were great.

Marc
Jul 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
Intermediate Multi
From the AMA website:

Quote:
Sixth-place finisher Ryan Woebkenberg from southern Indiana had his
Paragon almost to the property limit and waaay low before he hooked the
lift to altitude and got it back for his time and a landing! Ed Wilson, the
fourth-place finisher, called it the flight of the day. Way to go, Ryan!
Jul 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
Rank Newbie
Thanks for the post Ryan. It gives me and my little ol' GL encouragement down here in the hayfield!

Ed
Intheswamp
Jul 23, 2007, 09:40 PM
You guys are too kind.

I like to post these little contest reviews to hopefully get more folks interested in trying contests. At the Nos Nats, it really was not about the plane. Lots of different planes were contenders and it could have easily been a Sailair or a Mirage or an Oly II in the top 5 rather than what was in the top 5. Dust off your old planes and practice with them some and enter the 2008 NOS nats (or I think DARTS has a NOS contest now too. Plus there is Wood Crafters) or if you don't have one, there are several places that sell a number of NOS legal kits for a reasonable price.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is the contest is never over. I have been guilty of giving up too many times in the past, but at Sunday's contest a zero round did not mean a person was out of the trophies. Keep plugging away and keep your head up if you have a bad round.

I also wanted to share a shout out to the LSF crew for bringing NOS back after an abscence in 2006. I'm pretty sure they all felt that the 2007 event was a smashing success, but perhaps some good words by us NOS pilots here won't hurt either.

Ryan
Jul 23, 2007, 10:22 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
Terrific report, Ryan. I don't know if you were at the RES event today and I didn't know it, or if you went home after the NOS and didn't fly RES. I can tell you that it was a marvelous contest, with guys from all over the country displaying the very best of pilot skill in reading air and scratching out maxes in dubious lift. We flew 6 rounds of 10 minutes each, and the competition was very strong. I can tell you from personal experience that you could make 50 of the 60 possible minutes and just scrape into the top 20. If you like to fly RES planes, you'd love this event.
Jul 23, 2007, 10:27 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
How do I get to the AMA reports that are being mentioned? I've looked high and low on their website for them. Help please!!!

Steve
Jul 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
Ama site to Competition to Nats to Nats News

There you go...www.modelaircraft.org