This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

We all have to start somewhere.

I just got back from the usual Sunday fly-in. Not a huge turnout since a few folks are on vacation, but I did meet a couple of new "members" of our little "club."

This was a tattooed and very friendly father and son duo who were given a well-used and crashed Global Hobbies Right Flyer .40 trainer with accessories. They did an admirable job of getting it back together, but oh, what a strange looking little bird it was in its spray-painted blue and silver livery. With hand-drawn flames at the nose, yet.

Poor guys were trying to get the engine started but to no avail. They claimed that it ran fine at home, but not even so much as a sputter at the field.

The electric drill they were using to spin the prop was rather low on juice as were all of their glow ignitors. I gave the prop a spin and I have to tell you, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of compression biting back.

Keep in mind that they brought the plane to the field in pretty much the condition they got it. This wouldn't be so alarming if not for the fact that the radio wasn't hooked up properly. I noticed this when working the throttle...and it was working backwards. "Do you prefer to fly with the throttle lever reversed like this," asked I.

"No, that's the way we got it," was the reply.

Twiddling other levers revealed that the ailerons were on channel four and the rudder on channel one. Only the elevator was responding properly.

As it turned out, these gentlemen had no prior R/C experience and were simply assuming that the controls were correct. They were certainly grateful that I had come along to help; our resident "glow heads" weren't present and the folks that were there couldn't help them. I was only sorry that I didn't have my field box with me. On the other hand, I'm glad that engine didn't start prior to my arrival!

We never did get that engine started, but they left the field happy that someone took the time to help. I got a rather interesting thank-you souvenir as a result, straight from the box of old and wonderfully grungy airplane stuff that came with their trainer.

I was given an old Veco .19 with a Zinger prop. Everything on this poor little engine is stuck. I knew nothing about this brand prior to today and it looked for all the world like a CL engine with its baffled exhaust port and wide open throttle.

Closer examination with some help from the internet revealed that it has a barrel carb and is simply mounted facing the wrong way. Not too different from the carb on my O.S. .25, in fact. It does appear to be designed for R/C, but there's no way to pressurize the tank unless I can find a vintage Veco or K&B strap-on muffler. Heck, maybe it's gravity fed like a Ford Model T. One site hints that this engine dates back to 1958.

I may tinker with it, but I'm strongly considering mounting it on a black velvet background, framing it and hanging it on the wall. The combination of the wooden 9" prop and the glorious patina dating back heaven knows how far is just too cool.

What better way to display a souvenir of the 1950s?
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Aug 17, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply