Aug 08, 2007, 05:59 AM
Magnums and TT's are iffy at best, it's a crap shoot as to whether you get a good one or a dud. The Saitos are good every single time. The 1.00 is one of the smoothest and easiest engines of all to break in and set up.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2007, 10:08 AM
NM2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Magnums and TT's are iffy at best, it's a crap shoot as to whether you get a good one or a dud. The Saitos are good every single time. The 1.00 is one of the smoothest and easiest engines of all to break in and set up.

---------------

All of my Magnum and Thunder Tiger engines have been good engines, after being broken-in properly, just like my Webra, OS and Enya engines.

Saito engines are not perfect each and every time. Close, but not quite - just like OS, Webra and Enya. This proves that they are in excellent good company. <G>

It is funny how we form allegiances/loyalty to brands of products. It is sad when someone that has been very loyal to a particular brand finally comes across a sample that doesn't measure up. This can be made into a catastrophe if the person answering the phone at the distributor's office is having a bad day and lets it come through to the person on the phone that is calling with a problem. It has happened to me too.

I love my Saito engines. They have a distinct Saito personality that I enjoy. Ditto my OS, Sanye and Enya four-strokes. I've never had a problem with an Enya engine that I couldn't fix myself (sticky throttle barrel).

My problem is that I love all of the engine brands. Each has its own distinct personality/qualities. Hence, I collect them all and end up spending more money on the hobby than I should. But what the heck - you can't take a penny with you.

Ed Cregger
Aug 13, 2007, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad
Saito beats magnum hands down. The saito's are works of art with their 1 piece head/cylinder with a hemi head. Plus horizons repair/service policy beats hobbico's big time.Dylan

That about sums it up. I have a magnum .52 and flown it quite a bit. It runs well in my 40 size cub but is a bit tired and won't start without electric starter.

The saito's I own on the other hand all run like brand new.

2 1.8's 1 .91 1 .56 4 .30 all saito.
Aug 16, 2007, 02:40 PM
Have a saito 91 in a 9 1/2lb RV3. Started with half a turn on the bench and have never looked back.
Aug 16, 2007, 03:19 PM
I run a magnum .91 in a hangar 9 hellcat turning a 14-7 3 bladed prop. Hits 100mph on the downlines with 15%
Aug 17, 2007, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo
I run a magnum .91 in a hangar 9 hellcat turning a 14-7 3 bladed prop. Hits 100mph on the downlines with 15%
Pretty impressive.
Do you know what the sustained static RPM you are getting with the 14x7 3 blade prop ? Which brand of prop ?

I get ~10k on my Magnum 91's with a 14x6 two blade prop using 15%.
I tried a 13x8 Grauper three blade but it lugged the engine down to much.
Aug 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
7 inch pitch prop would have to be doing 15k for 100mph pitch speed, not including drag of the airframe.....
Aug 20, 2007, 02:22 AM
NM2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkhals
In all honesty I would lean towards the Magnum, as I have a 70 in a 40sized Decathlon and it has been a great engine and a wonderfull combination with that plane.One of my mates at our club who hopes to join the TOC circuit next year maintains that a Saito will never run sweetly untill it has had it's warranty factory re-build.He owns his own Airforce let alone squadron of the things.

Cheers Rinkhals

----------

I too have Magnum, Saito, OS and Enya four-stroke engines. For high performance 3D flying there is only one choice and that is YS. Saitos do not equal YS engines for high performance.

Magnums, OS and Thunder Tigers are heavy, but that is fine for flying Cub-like models and biplanes. The Thunder Tiger is easily stronger than all of the other non supercharged glow four-strokes, but it is also the heaviest.

Since I'm not a true 3D flyer these days, I use my Maggies as much as I use the other engines and I'm down to one YS 60 round head two-stroke. The Maggies have their place in my stable of engines/planes, as do the other brands of engines.

If you're looking for high performance, just bite the bullet and buy a YS (three actually). It will be cheaper in the long run because you will eventually be drawn to YS engines anyway.

Ed Cregger

Quick Reply