Originally Posted by Hogster
Impressive setup!!

David
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2008, 08:22 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
Pin 1 (nearest the air pressure sensor)..the PDF just says connected to 'the' 10 pin port
My breakout board was setup to facilitate this...

I've re-attached a PDF version for those that can etch their own boards...

I've made a small change to the original as I noticed that others had fed 5v live to their LEDs and then linked the Ground legs to the J16 and J17 pins... so I've made a track change to correct this mistake on the first board.

Cheers,

Terry.
Jan 06, 2008, 09:08 AM
Tinkering again!
Quote:

Anyone tried the new hex yet? Holger says he has made some big changes to the way the MK feels when flying.
I'll be trying it sometime today...if the changes are indeed noticeable and makes me smile, how will I be able to enjoy the changes and use GPS...I won't unless someone incorporates Joko's code with the new update
Jan 06, 2008, 10:24 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Nice one Terry, you could also link all the esc's together seeing as they all run off the same two bus wires, also they dont really need the ground connection either.

Hmm...bit off today, some has stolen my mountain bike.
Jan 06, 2008, 10:35 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Hey Erwin, that looks to be a very impressive setup BTW how does the video amp come into play? Is it to boost it before it hits the Oracle or afterwards?

Thanks for posting. (I cant get the videos to work though? Utube wants a log-in and Vimto :P says theres nothing there to play)
Jan 06, 2008, 10:40 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan
There is new MK flight control software version as well: v0.68d. You can download it from here http://mikrocontroller.cco-ev.de/mik...644_V0_68d.hex
Hi,

here a demo video of Holger himself with this new firmware:

http://www.rcmovie.de/view_video.php...976f3e18f21ade

Cheers,

//Erwin
Jan 06, 2008, 10:47 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Quote:
Hey Erwin, that looks to be a very impressive setup BTW how does the video amp come into play? Is it to boost it before it hits the Oracle or afterwards?

Thanks for posting. (I cant get the videos to work though? Utube wants a log-in and Vimto :P says theres nothing there to play)
Hi,

thanks ! No, the video amp is only for the case when there are more than 2 (Oracle has already 2 buffered video outputs) video sources are necessary (recorder, additional monitor, additional google, etc). That means, the amp is located after the Oracle.

Really ? There are problems with video links ? Sorry, will check it shortly !

Edit: video links are ok now !

Cheers,

//Erwin
Last edited by _helitron_; Jan 06, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Jan 06, 2008, 08:21 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member

My MK Back in the air...

Hi All,

Well my MK is back in the air and with inspiration from Kilrah's video I decided to go back to the 10x4.5 Props and do some weight lifting tests.

I firstly looked at whether I should be carrying that hunking great 5000mah pack up in the air... I decided to weigh my component parts to get some idea of weight of everything.

My MK on it's own (as pictured below) is 750g
My 5000mah 3S Lipo currently weighs (get this...) 410g

This gave me an AUW of 1160g

I decided to look at other batteries that might be better and looked at the Hyperion Litestorm LCX - 2500 3s1p from Robotbirds.com. This pack weighs in at 181g.

Ok so I started to do some calculations... I added 750g and 181g for the MK and the battery, added 285g for the Camera and Power supply and got 1216g... then I decided to add a bit more with the view to adding a tilt servo,etc. for a camera mount... I ended up deciding to ballast my MK up to 1300g... as the icing on the cake... I stuck my E-Logger on board to get some readings and that added a further 31g to the equation...

My new AUW was 1331g so outside I went to get some readings from a short hover flight.

OK so I know that hover isn't the be all and end all of the calculations but it will give me an idea of Amps draw and MAH used during the flight and therefore an idea of what I might get in the way of flight times.

The results were quite surprising.

I appear to get a hover at about 17-18 Amps on the 10x4.5's and I used 180 Mah in 42 seconds of flight (the logger was set to "trigger" at 12 Amps and "stop" below 12 Amps).

On the face of it that would indicate that...
2500 / 180 = 13.88 (number of times that my "flight" will fit in the capacity of the pack
13.88 x 42 = 582.96 (number of seconds that I should get on the full capacity)
582.96 / 60 = 9.716 (number of minutes of flight time I should get).

SO... based on these very rudimentary calculations (and yes I know that this won't be a linear line and that this is a VERY rough guesstimation) I should get about 9 or so minutes from a 2500 mah pack running at a weight of 1331g.

Based on this I'm VERY tempted to get that 2500 pack ordered... but before I do thought I'd post here for everyone to comment/pick holes in/refute my findings...

Cheers,

Terry.
Jan 06, 2008, 10:06 PM
HeliAP'er!
Great to see her back in working order Terry!!

You're quite an owl aren't you Just woke up, couldn't get back to sleep

David
Jan 06, 2008, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargenut
Hi All,

Well my MK is back in the air and with inspiration from Kilrah's video I decided to go back to the 10x4.5 Props and do some weight lifting tests.

I firstly looked at whether I should be carrying that hunking great 5000mah pack up in the air... I decided to weigh my component parts to get some idea of weight of everything.

My MK on it's own (as pictured below) is 750g
My 5000mah 3S Lipo currently weighs (get this...) 410g

This gave me an AUW of 1160g

I decided to look at other batteries that might be better and looked at the Hyperion Litestorm LCX - 2500 3s1p from Robotbirds.com. This pack weighs in at 181g.

Ok so I started to do some calculations... I added 750g and 181g for the MK and the battery, added 285g for the Camera and Power supply and got 1216g... then I decided to add a bit more with the view to adding a tilt servo,etc. for a camera mount... I ended up deciding to ballast my MK up to 1300g... as the icing on the cake... I stuck my E-Logger on board to get some readings and that added a further 31g to the equation...

My new AUW was 1331g so outside I went to get some readings from a short hover flight.

OK so I know that hover isn't the be all and end all of the calculations but it will give me an idea of Amps draw and MAH used during the flight and therefore an idea of what I might get in the way of flight times.

The results were quite surprising.

I appear to get a hover at about 17-18 Amps on the 10x4.5's and I used 180 Mah in 42 seconds of flight (the logger was set to "trigger" at 12 Amps and "stop" below 12 Amps).

On the face of it that would indicate that...
2500 / 180 = 13.88 (number of times that my "flight" will fit in the capacity of the pack
13.88 x 42 = 582.96 (number of seconds that I should get on the full capacity)
582.96 / 60 = 9.716 (number of minutes of flight time I should get).

SO... based on these very rudimentary calculations (and yes I know that this won't be a linear line and that this is a VERY rough guesstimation) I should get about 9 or so minutes from a 2500 mah pack running at a weight of 1331g.

Based on this I'm VERY tempted to get that 2500 pack ordered... but before I do thought I'd post here for everyone to comment/pick holes in/refute my findings...

Cheers,

Terry.
With 1045 props I am getting 17 min flight with 1.3 kg AUW and I charge back 4000 mA/h (two FP batteries 2170 mA/h each). With a camera rig and my Canon A710IS it comes to 1.7 kg AUW and the flight time drops to 10 min. I predict you will be able to get about 8 minutes flight out of your setup before discharging the battery to unsafe levels.
Jan 07, 2008, 06:26 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan
With 1045 props I am getting 17 min flight with 1.3 kg AUW and I charge back 4000 mA/h (two FP batteries 2170 mA/h each). With a camera rig and my Canon A710IS it comes to 1.7 kg AUW and the flight time drops to 10 min. I predict you will be able to get about 8 minutes flight out of your setup before discharging the battery to unsafe levels.
Hi Nikivan, Thanks for the info... sounds about right to me...

Do you fly a 1.7Kg MK on these 10x4.5 EPPs? I'd be worried about them breaking, which is kind of why I went to 9x6 APC's... I am now definately going to mold some of my own 10x4.5 Carbon props as suggested earlier by Richard.

One other point... have you had to drill out the hubs to fit onto your Prop Adaptors? I ended up drilling mine out to 5mm yesterday afternoon to get them on my Prop Adaptors and it doesn't leave THAT much material left on them afterwards... having said that my Adaptors have a "bullet" type top that covers the whole hub and some of the props as well so that might help to support things a bit.

Anyway, thanks again for the input... interesting info on your setup and weights of items.

Oh yes and on another note I am planning to buy two of these 2500 packs so could double them up if I wanted to go duration flying.

Cheers,
Terry.
Jan 07, 2008, 06:32 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Great to see her back in working order Terry!!

You're quite an owl aren't you Just woke up, couldn't get back to sleep

David

Hi David...

Yep MK back in the air after my little "mishap"... I have put heat shrink over the main power couplings to the ESCs now (to stop them being pulled apart) and have taped the ESC to MOTOR wires down to the frame with insulation tape OVER the joint between the two (again to stop them pulling apart).

Here's hoping nothing comes unplugged again {sigh}

As for being a night owl... yes... that's me... I was out flying my MK in the back garden by the flood lights I have out there at 00:30 this morning to get those flight numbers... it's not that noisy with the EPPs on it... and the flight was only 42 Secs... No pretending to be a UFO for me last night though I haven't re-fitted the LEDS yet (and may not till I've re-vamped and shrunk the size of the PCB).

Cheers mate,

Terry.
Jan 07, 2008, 10:09 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!

Fun with EPP1045's

@Terry,
Here is how I solved the possibility of EPP1045's breaking in mid flight. I doubled them up! This photo with them doubled is on one of my newly modded large frame brushless DF's. It flies smoothly and makes a neat sound too I have tested this configuation by mounting one of my broken props to one motor and it is still stable enough to fly and land. It of course vibrates quite a bit with one blade left on the broken prop
In all of my flying, I have broken about four EPP1045 props. Three of them in minor "hard landings" and one by bumping it into a wall. None have yet failed inflight...knock on wood
I do not drill out the props. I do not use prop savers. I don't see any reason to use them on the Quads. They are simply a point of failure themselves. It takes less than a minute to bolt on a new prop if necessary.
Cheers,
Jim
Jan 07, 2008, 10:59 AM
Tinkering again!
Hmm very interesting...I wonder what doubling up props do for efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
@Terry,
Here is how I solved the possibility of EPP1045's breaking in mid flight. I doubled them up! This photo with them doubled is on one of my newly modded large frame brushless DF's. It flies smoothly and makes a neat sound too I have tested this configuation by mounting one of my broken props to one motor and it is still stable enough to fly and land. It of course vibrates quite a bit with one blade left on the broken prop
In all of my flying, I have broken about four EPP1045 props. Three of them in minor "hard landings" and one by bumping it into a wall. None have yet failed inflight...knock on wood
I do not drill out the props. I do not use prop savers. I don't see any reason to use them on the Quads. They are simply a point of failure themselves. It takes less than a minute to bolt on a new prop if necessary.
Cheers,
Jim
Jan 07, 2008, 12:16 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Not sure...was hoping someone with one of those neato Eagletree data loggers or some-such could investigate. In my meager tests, the motors and ESC's remain cool after 15 minutes of continuous flying, using two in parallel-1350mah 3S lipos. It flys smooth and stable, even when carrying a 7oz Panasonic FX07 digicam. If you are interested in this Brushless DF, Old Man Mike has detailed info on this ~$500 DF Brushless KQuad here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115
I have even played with making the blades not perpendicular to each other, more like an X and even over each other with good results.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorenoEnNYC1
Hmm very interesting...I wonder what doubling up props do for efficiency?
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 07, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply