Jul 20, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Illusion & Illusion Extra - Sport, Fun-Flyer, *New Video*, Build Guide

I have been experimenting with KF / stepped airfoils and am amazed at how much lift this design offers at all speeds especially low speed. After a few tries I have managed to end up with a great flying little plane that handles just as well at high speeds as it does at a crawl. I wanted a 4 channel plane that handled somewhat like the fueled fun-fly planes we used to fly at competitions in the 90's. However, those planes never seemed to have a mild side to them. This plane for whatever reason is easy to manage at all speeds and does not seem to tip stall regardless of the speed. Basically an all around sport-plane that will fly like a Piper Cub or like an F-15 with straight up out of sight performance. It was designed to handle well on grass fields and take rough landings ......it does just that. The landing gear and motor mount are built to take lots of hard landings and ground contact. The wing and fuse are both reinforced with carbon tubing. The plane is built tough and yet is reasonably light, flying at 7 ounces per sq. ft. It has a nice power-off-glide to an easy landing and will fly hands off with a little trimming.
So far I have flown the plane with 2 motors, one being a 1000 rpm/w and the other a 1400 rpm/w both with an APC 8x3.8 prop. The second motor offers unlimited vertical and wild performance. The first has lots of power but is a bit more manageable for those with weak hearts! Both will fly the plane at a walking pace with the throttle just off of the stop. The plane is not overly sensitive to balance and again I am not sure why that is the case. I fly 3 cell lipo packs 860 ma and 1300ma. Again no real difference in flight performance between the two packs other than flight time.
I have drawn a set of plans (first attempt) please bear with me.
I am sure that others have experimented with this airfoil and will be able to offer good suggestions.
The pictures posted are of the prototype (yellow) and the Extra version in blue.

See Page 6 For More Photos Of Illusion Extra
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=716280&page=6

NEW VIDEO
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...35#post7931470

Video Link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716659

Plan
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=18

Build Guide Found On Pages 2,3, and 4
Last edited by Bogard; Aug 26, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2007, 09:39 PM
Thread OP

"Illusion" Pics

Here are 3 more pictures of the plane from different angles.
28" Span
26" Length
11 ounces without battery
Flys from a float to very fast and responsive with no bad stall characteristics.
Currently flown with a BP21 1400 rpm/v motor
Also flys nicely with 1000 rpm/v motor
Last edited by Bogard; Aug 01, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Jul 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
ewo
ewo
Your plane looks good, cept i have a couple concerns.
the controll rod going to the rudder is the biggest, second is the size of the controll surfaces. Dont look right to me for 3d ???

looking forward to the videos

ewo
Jul 20, 2007, 09:59 PM
ewo
ewo
Please . Dont be mad at me im tring to understand. You just posted the third picture.....
and i have a 3rd concern with the rod to the elevator.

A video would help but i think i see problems there.

ewo
Jul 20, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo
Your plane looks good, cept i have a couple concerns.
the controll rod going to the rudder is the biggest, second is the size of the controll surfaces. Dont look right to me for 3d ???

looking forward to the videos

ewo
Hi EWO,
I never figured the plane to be all out 3d but it does have some of those capabilities. The plane leans more to the sport catagory than 3d. It will hover and Harrier but not like some of the 3d's I have seen posted on the Groups. The surfaces may need to be played around with in the future. What are you thinking more..... less....bigger...smaller....This plan is a work in progress!
Jul 20, 2007, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo
Please . Dont be mad at me im tring to understand. You just posted the third picture.....
and i have a 3rd concern with the rod to the elevator.

A video would help but i think i see problems there.

ewo
No reason to be mad.....any useful suggestions would be appreciated.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:11 PM
Neat looking project. It's nice to see a nice sport plane once in a while, get kinda tired of a steady diet of 3d.

I see what EWO means about the control rods going to the rudder and elevator. Looks like an unusual setup, maybe more closeups, or vids to show off some of the details.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
ewo
ewo
A straight line is always mobetter than a bend of any kind.
Place your servo's somewere were there is way less bend in the rod.

This could be easily turned into a 3d machine with a couple little mods.
I would be glad to help in anyway i can

reminds me of a funflier i had back in the late 90's
cool

ewo
Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000
Neat looking project. It's nice to see a nice sport plane once in a while, get kinda tired of a steady diet of 3d.

I see what EWO means about the control rods going to the rudder and elevator. Looks like an unusual setup, maybe more closeups, or vids to show off some of the details.
Thanks for the comments.
So far no problems with the rods in 30 or so flights. Pilot error and a hard ground loop knocked the vertical stab and rudder clean off the other day. The elevator is set up to pull for up and push for down with a guide tube going through the foam on both sides of the fuse ...one for the elevator and one for the rudder.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo
A straight line is always mobetter than a bend of any kind.
Place your servo's somewere were there is way less bend in the rod.

This could be easily turned into a 3d machine with a couple little mods.
I would be glad to help in anyway i can

reminds me of a funflier i had back in the late 90's
cool

ewo
I agree with you about the bends in the rods. It ended up this way in effort to keep the servos well hidden and out of harms way. Had they been installed right up through the wing it could have been a straight shot. I have another plane on the bench ready for servos....hmmmm....maybe I will give up the clean look and go all for function on this one.

Funflys were a lot of fun but boy did I use a lot of balsa from week to week making repairs. Gotta love this foam!
Jul 20, 2007, 10:33 PM
Neat!

14 oz. seems a tad on the heavy side for a plane this small. How heavy is your power system? I'm tempted to build something similar and try a Blue Wonder motor (24g), 10A ESC (8.5g), 300mah 2s (27g) and 10x4.7 prop. I used this combo in a Lightflight Bug and, while flight times are under 8 minutes, they are absolutely sublime compared to my 700mah setups.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:33 PM
ewo
ewo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogard
I agree with you about the bends in the rods. It ended up this way in effort to keep the servos well hidden and out of harms way. Had they been installed right up through the wing it could have been a straight shot. I have another plane on the bench ready for servos....hmmmm....maybe I will give up the clean look and go all for function on this one.

Funflys were a lot of fun but boy did I use a lot of balsa from week to week making repairs. Gotta love this foam!
Me too. gave up balsa altogeather
a few years ago

Giveup the clean look......go for what works best
The planes a dandy anyways

ewo
Jul 20, 2007, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekers
Neat!

14 oz. seems a tad on the heavy side for a plane this small. How heavy is your power system? I'm tempted to build something similar and try a Blue Wonder motor (24g), 10A ESC (8.5g), 300mah 2s (27g) and 10x4.7 prop. I used this combo in a Lightflight Bug and, while flight times are under 8 minutes, they are absolutely sublime compared to my 700mah setups.
Sorry I don't have the weight on the power system. I do know that the gear wheel setup is a little heavy and the plane is a bit overbuilt for durability sake, but it works great on our rough field. The plane flys great at 14 ounces but as always ...less is better.....let me know how you make out and I will try and get an accurate weight on the power set up.
I really should try to build one of these and keep the weight to bare bones just to see the difference. As they are they take a terrible beatin and keep on flyin.....but eventually get so ugly that they have to be retired for the sake of others!!
Last edited by Bogard; Jul 20, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:44 PM
Use whatcha got!
Looks like a fun design... Kinda reminds me of a hots, but I think thats just b/c of the cowl...

Other than that, it seems like something I'd like... Might have to get it in the build queue.

-ms

EDIT: Not cowl... canopy! ugh... brain-fart!
Last edited by msmith; Jul 23, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
Jul 20, 2007, 10:47 PM
ewo
ewo
http://media.putfile.com/Mayfly-conversion a video i made a couple years ago
not very good but the wing shape and the tail feathers are almost identical

conversion was from my mayfly plans to foam.

we just wanna help

ewo

Quick Reply