Oct 03, 2007, 08:16 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that the reviews were meant for consumers to see what was available from the retailers, just in a less biased format than what were used to. Like I said, I enjoyed the review and liked what you were saying about the ASG. I didn't realize that the review was more of a how-to article, or a review of the power system. It was just disappointing to read good things about the ASG and then find out that it unavailable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commplexxo
I see this review in a different light than focusing on the fact that S2G is out of business. I do not have any control over successes or failures of businesses that manufacture model airplanes. However, my intention for this review is to share my expertise when it comes to electrifying large scale models.

This review, as mentioned in the conclusion paragraph, is for the benefit of individuals who have thought about electrifying larger scale models but were unsure where to start or what criteria may be used in glider selection.

I have personally committed to do the review well before I have learned that S2G was out of business. My intention was to deliver on my commitment.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Martin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2007, 09:13 PM
Martin, thanks for the imfo. on the dolly. Their are no TUGs near me. this will let me get in the air. Fred
Oct 05, 2007, 04:46 PM
Martin,

excellent review and beautiful workmanship on the build!

I notice on you pictures of dollies lay an electrified Fox. This is something I have been wanting to. In fact it's sat in my workshop waiting to have its nose chopped off!

Coincidentally, its from S2G and 4m.

Can you give details of your Fox-span, weight, motor, cells, prop & current/power?

Finally, a question about your Pletty: would you put it in Fox weighing roughly the same your ASG29. It just that I also have the same motor and was surprised to see it working so well in such a big model- I'm not looking for hotliner performance but a strong positive climb from a dolly would be ideal.

Thanks, Tony
Oct 06, 2007, 11:52 AM
Tony,

Unfortunately, the Fox in the picture is not mine. I think the Fox belongs to the following "user" - rbehrends - on RC Groups. Try contacting him. I think his Fox is by http://www.roedelmodell.de/.

The ASG in this review total up weight with radio and batteries is 6.7 kg's.

I found some information about your S2G Fox 4m and it appears that the weight just for the kit alone is 6150 g. By the time everything is installed you could be about 1.5 to 2 kg above the 6.15 kg.

You may want to get others opinion on this; however, I would always feel comfortable with more power. The motor that you're referring to may be okay - if I was you, I would go with a little more power for increased safety factor.

Good Luck,
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu
Martin,

excellent review and beautiful workmanship on the build!

I notice on you pictures of dollies lay an electrified Fox. This is something I have been wanting to. In fact it's sat in my workshop waiting to have its nose chopped off!

Coincidentally, its from S2G and 4m.

Can you give details of your Fox-span, weight, motor, cells, prop & current/power?

Finally, a question about your Pletty: would you put it in Fox weighing roughly the same your ASG29. It just that I also have the same motor and was surprised to see it working so well in such a big model- I'm not looking for hotliner performance but a strong positive climb from a dolly would be ideal.

Thanks, Tony
Oct 06, 2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks Martin,
Quote:
The ASG in this review total up weight with radio and batteries is 6.7 kg's.

I found some information about your S2G Fox 4m and it appears that the weight just for the kit alone is 6150 g. By the time everything is installed you could be about 1.5 to 2 kg above the 6.15 kg.
I thought maybe there were too many 'coincidences' to hope for!

The SG Fox I reckon could come it at under 7Kg on 6s but that would mean changing the heavy steel wing joiner (over 1Kg) to a carbon one, which concerned me on strength. So I think your spot on on weight and 220/30/A2/P4 propped for about 150W per Kg will struggle.

Liked the way your ASG 29 went though, but I guess thats around 200w per Kg.

Ever tried big outrunners for this type of application?
Oct 06, 2007, 06:11 PM
Only up to 1.5 kg's.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555189

Good Luck,
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu
Thanks Martin,

I thought maybe there were too many 'coincidences' to hope for!

The SG Fox I reckon could come it at under 7Kg on 6s but that would mean changing the heavy steel wing joiner (over 1Kg) to a carbon one, which concerned me on strength. So I think your spot on on weight and 220/30/A2/P4 propped for about 150W per Kg will struggle.

Liked the way your ASG 29 went though, but I guess thats around 200w per Kg.

Ever tried big outrunners for this type of application?
Nov 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
Dave
Martin,
Thanks for both reviews/how-to's of the 3M and this one. I am a big fan of the ASW series and am building my first 2.5M version of the ASW-28. It will be powered by a 400watts-in power system and I am debating on the thrust angle. I see you elected to do do zero degrees on the 3M and a visually appealing angle on this one. Did you find that you needed to mix in a lot of down elevator or rudder with the throttle? I would appreciate this info because if you needed a ton of mix, I would add a degree or two of down thrust to mine.

Thanks in advance.
-Dave
Nov 25, 2007, 11:25 PM
No, I did not have to mix in a lot of down elevator or rudder. How much mix? I would say 1/16 to 1/8 of down (at max throttle) elevator movement on a "stick" (the 1/16 to 1/8 is to give you an idea of just how much movement is required) for full throttle. I always set my elevator (mechanical) "settings" first at maximum down movement position first. Then I mach the down elevator movement in up movement (still mechanical) and finally apply exponential to make it smooth around "zero" (programming). Program in your downward elevator movement based on full throttle movement (I utilize linear approximation).

Because ASW 28 is a T-tail, the elevator is very effective when it comes to "response/movement". I did not find that the model pulled too much in "direction L/R" on climb (was not noticeable). My suggestion is to worry about elevator and keeping the wings leveled during "desired angle" of climb without stalling the model.

I hope that what I wrote above makes sense.

Good Luck,
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX1
Martin,
Thanks for both reviews/how-to's of the 3M and this one. I am a big fan of the ASW series and am building my first 2.5M version of the ASW-28. It will be powered by a 400watts-in power system and I am debating on the thrust angle. I see you elected to do do zero degrees on the 3M and a visually appealing angle on this one. Did you find that you needed to mix in a lot of down elevator or rudder with the throttle? I would appreciate this info because if you needed a ton of mix, I would add a degree or two of down thrust to mine.

Thanks in advance.
-Dave
Oct 05, 2008, 02:51 PM

S2G ASG 29-E 4.8m Landing

October 4, 2008 - Red Deer, Alberta CANADA

Martin
Oct 05, 2008, 03:29 PM
-----
Smooth !

BTW, for those that might not know, RKM has taken over production of the S2G kits. A lot of the model range are therefore returning to the dealers that stocked the S2G kits. I'm not sure how good the quality is..?

http://www.topmodel.cz/o-nas.html
Feb 09, 2010, 11:38 PM

Where is the ASG 29 4.8m now?

There have been side conversations as well as curiosity with regards to the club membership around the mid-air collision that occurred on August 22, 2009 at CRCSS Red Deer lake club.

First of all I do hope that this never happens to anyone. Secondly, if an unfortunate situation such as a mid air happens, I really do hope that the parties involved come to an agreement on the facts and the cause of the incident. Next time when you’re up in the air, consider what I mentioned above. It may save you money, time and a lot of frustration. What do I suggest you do if you’re not sure about the individuals that you’re flying along with? Plain and simple: Land your plane and wait until they are down.

Attached is footage and photos of the incident.

Martin
Last edited by Commplexxo; Feb 09, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Feb 10, 2010, 10:04 AM
-----
Bummer..