Anyone Order Spring Air Retracts 603 from Horizon - RC Groups
Nov 11, 2002, 03:28 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester

Anyone Order Spring Air Retracts 603 from Horizon

Anyone order a main gear micro sytem from Horizon. Does it come with everything I need, valves, hose, air tank etc. Is the air tank the small one? Does it come with the 1/8" wire struts?

Thank you

Kelvin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2002, 04:49 PM
Hi Kelvin,
Thats where I got my set.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
A source of comresed air is all you will need.
You can either bend the 1/8" wier to form an axel , or order the bolt on stub axels.
Nov 11, 2002, 09:42 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Murray
Hi Kelvin,
Thats where I got my set.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
A source of comresed air is all you will need.
You can either bend the 1/8" wier to form an axel , or order the bolt on stub axels.
Are the bolt on stub axels a Spring Air part?

I saw a set of 501's at the local hobby store so I have an idea what comes in the set better but they didn't have the 603s.

Thanks

Kelvin
Nov 12, 2002, 12:58 AM
Go Wallabies!

weight

gents

I have been thinking about a set of these what does the whole kit and kaboodle weigh.

I used mechanical retracts on my 54inch mozzie and without wheels they were pretty light under 6 oz i would think. Sadly the mozzie is no more, radio interference robbed me of my baby, but i am thinking of building another, possibly slightly bigger with spring airs instead.

So back to the original question, how much did the whole thing weigh?

cheers

Craig
Nov 12, 2002, 09:04 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
just call spring-air and talk to bill. He's a really nice fellow and will explain everything that comes with the retract set. Spring-air is here in melbourne,.. actually located next-door to the place that does the laser cutting for my kits. Bill and his son are in our club and both are good pilots (and have spring-air retracts in everything of course ). I have a set of the 600 series in my OV-10 bronco. I did drill them out for 5X32 wire since i knew the bronco would be well over the weight they're intended for (It ended up 7.5 lbs). The retracts were,..if memory serves,.. roughly one ounce per,.. so 3 ounces for the three of them, plus another ounce and a half for the tank, valvle/servo (little HS81, actually had 7 HS81's in that plane).
Latest blog entry: blog
Nov 12, 2002, 11:03 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester

Re: weight

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigO
gents

So back to the original question, how much did the whole thing weigh?

cheers

Craig
I've read that 2 603 mains and the support equipment is 4oz or maybe a little less.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=69867

I saw some of the air tanks at the hobby store and they're very light. The retract set comes with the small tank. Ron Daniels stated in a thread that he was able to get about 20 cycles out of this tank on his 45" Tempest with 603s.

Gordon, in the UK uses 3 of them in his 6.5lb Mig15.

My Kyosho Spit may be close to 7lbs so I may have to do what Gary did for the wire struts.

Kelvin
Nov 13, 2002, 08:30 PM

Installed weight is about 4 ounces.

So, it is 4 ounces heavier than no gear, but probably only 1-2 ouncs heavier than fixed gear.

Very high quality stuff. I use it in a 2 3/4 lb plane.

Ron Daniels
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Nov 13, 2002 at 08:39 PM.
Nov 14, 2002, 10:44 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Daniels

Installed weight is about 4 ounces.

So, it is 4 ounces heavier than no gear, but probably only 1-2 ouncs heavier than fixed gear.

Very high quality stuff. I use it in a 2 3/4 lb plane.

Ron Daniels
That's good news. I'm planning on attempting to mount the gear at a more scale-like position with the gear angled back around 16 degrees aft from a perpindicular line to the fuse. This will give the extended landing gear a forward position.

In order for the wheel to be parallel to the centerline when extended it will be at an angle in the wheel well when retracted from what I can visulize. I was hoping to do gear doors but won't the gear doors be at an angle and not flush with the wing surface? I guess there is no way to do it unless the landing gear rotates a little but these are not designed to do that.

Kelvin