Oct 31, 2008, 07:09 PM
I've been using Createx auto air colors so far, from an airbrush. It's acrylic, so totally safe, easy clean up, and it covers well.

Big array of colours too!

to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2009, 07:58 AM
If it fly's I'll Crash it !!
Guys I found a site that has foam hardner and coats it, sandable and paintable.

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/home.php?cat=249
Feb 16, 2009, 01:28 PM
Never look down
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvMan56

Has anyone tried this stuff?
Feb 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder

Acrylic reducer

Hey guys, thought I would post a formula for making reducer for acrylic (waterbase paints). This was found on several airbrush forums, I have tried it and it works extremely well
Reducer Formula for waterbased paints:
3 parts Distilled Water
1 part Denatured Alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol)
1 part isopropanol based window cleaner (Eagle 20/20 from HF or Autozone etc)
few drops Glycerin.

So when I make 20oz of reducer its 12oz water, 4oz alcohol, 4oz window cleaner and 10 drops glycerin. Don't use too much glycerin or your paint wont dry.
Denatured Alcohol can be found at most hardware stores (Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, etc)

Glycerin can be found at most drug stores (except Wallgreens for some reason), look in the cosmetic section as a skin moisturizer.

If you are using an airbrush, thin out the paint with the above reducer to consistency of whole milk. Great results!!!
Feb 21, 2009, 04:29 PM
Is it possible to dye foam similar to how you dye a canopy?
Feb 23, 2009, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvMan56

I am curious also on the use of this coating, and how much weight it would add.
Feb 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
Wrote hot wire foam factory, and the owner builds his own foam planes and recommends the bounce coating with a little foam cover. If you use the foam cover by itself it would make the plane to heavy. I think I will try it on a lynx plane I started and weigh it before and after. And post the results
Last edited by cwil58; Feb 24, 2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: more info
Jan 24, 2010, 01:10 AM
Hey guys, I realize this is an old thread, and I've been helped much by reading through it. I may have missed this, but what do you suggest is the way to treat the plastic tape hinges (using scotch gift tape) on foamies regarding paint? Do you paint first, then tape so you have color under the tape, or tape first, then paint but then risk the paint not sticking to the tape. I know you might suggest not using that type of hinge, but Steve Shumate uses that on most of his designs, and I find it works great for hinges, even in water on the mighty Polaris, but the paint does not stick on the tape, and I'm concerned the tape would not stick as well on the paint. Can you prime the tape with something?. Any suggestions?
Jan 26, 2010, 11:07 PM
master of the universe
try spraying tape with 3m contact glue then painting.
Jan 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek
try spraying tape with 3m contact glue then painting.
Hey CG, I can't remember seeing any paint on your planes

But good suggestion!
Jan 26, 2010, 11:18 PM
master of the universe
yeah ive been researching it too and thats a tip i picked up along the way for painting packing tape. you never saw my first f22 which was painted black on top of some packing tape. guess what happed to the paint? it flaked off and thats when i started researching how to prevent it
Feb 05, 2010, 11:02 AM

Super Cub with Krylon

I painted this HobbyZone SuperCub LP with plain old Krylon from the wally world. Just used about 8 really light coats (4 per color) and 2 coats of a clear gloss.
Feb 11, 2010, 07:59 PM
Anybody weigh their planes before and after a paint job?
Feb 12, 2010, 03:20 AM
Suspended Account
I had an E-Starter fuselage that I painted. Actually, I put on it, in order, polycrylic, lightweight spackle, polycrylic, 2 coats of acrylic paint and a top coat of polyc. Total weight gain was 7 grams. Granted , that's not a huge plane but even at double the weight, it's not bad at all. It also helped having an airbrush to keep the coats fairly thin.
Feb 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
Can anybody recommend a good airbrush not too expensive? Thanks!

Tom

Quick Reply